• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 80 Watt Class D Amp Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am not sure how to take your comments.
You say it sounds "Poor",. but there was no listening done by you or Amir?

So, Poor based on your expectations, based on Amir's measurements?

Do you not see the the issue with that also....;)

No issue whatsoever, and you are attempting (poorly) to misquote me.

The performance of the amplifier does not reach the high fidelity bar as far as I am concerned. I listen to repair/restore gear all the time and the HF distortion characteristics of that amplifier are bad enough to be easily audible. The LF response is poor and the HF is a mess.

That's the problem with reviewing bottom of the barrel audio- it normalizes crap performance. Nobody with aspirations to fidelity in audio should even remotely give this a second's consideration. If it was on a free kerbside pickup, I'd leave it there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sounds bad" without having ever heard it.......giving fuel to those that talk crap about this site....

Who cares what trash-talking ignoramuses chat about on subjective sites?

Audio reproduction is not an "art". It is maths, science and engineering- plain and simple. Nothing magical about it.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
But you are calling it a "Really bad design" based on being TOLD it is, via measurements.

Are you that certain you would realize that based on not knowing the measurements, but simply listening to it?
Not an attack, but I keep seeing a few bash anything that measures mediocre, but with no actual listening having being done to the unit.

I am NOT saying it is great, but just feel it is one of the things that gives this site a bad rep on many other audio forums. The bashing of stuff, based Solely on measurements, and usually with no actual listening done, or even first hand listening.

Not meaning this in a mean way, but it reinforces what many find as a negative thing of the site.

I really value the measurements and do not get me wrong. I probably AGREE with you, but it sounds like you are saying it "Sounds bad" without having ever heard it.......giving fuel to those that talk crap about this site....

I would value and find it more informative to hear that something sounded blah and bad, and then the measurements backed it up. Rather than it just measured blah and it must sound blah also, but with no listening done.
I don't think it would be super easy to hear the difference between this and say, a Yamaha RS-202. It is still totally uncompetitive and ugly. If someone else wants to buy it, I would hope they have fun and enjoy it. Personally, I'd check out Goodwill and see what's available for half the price before buying this.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
FYI, the model number for this amp is AP-16U.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Who cares what trash-talking ignoramuses chat about on subjective sites?

Audio reproduction is not an "art". It is maths, science and engineering- plain and simple. Nothing magical about it.

You are taking my comments way too defensively.
I am on your side and honestly kinda agree with a lot of what you say.

But at the same time, a lot of those "trash talking ignoramuses", are people that have a view and are into audio, same as we all here are also.

I would think this site would want to come off in a good light. I mean I like it here, but at the same time, can also see why the site is talked about in not the best terms.

I get that this site is only about measurements for the most part, and that puts many off automatically.

I am far more towards measurements mattering, but find it somewhat hypocritical for a measurement site, to bash stuff based on how poor "it MUST sound", after no one has actually heard it........Please tell me you understand that at least. It comes off as a bit humorous maybe?

beagleman

Major Contributor
I don't think it would be super easy to hear the difference between this and say, a Yamaha RS-202. It is still totally uncompetitive and ugly. If someone else wants to buy it, I would hope they have fun and enjoy it. Personally, I'd check out Goodwill and see what's available for half the price before buying this.

I mean I agree, and would probably NOT buy it myself, nor am I really defending this amp.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This is total junk performance but this is what I expected when I received it to test. I didn't take any measurements but I put it into a set of speakers that I had and it really didn't sound better than a cheap bluetooth speaker. However it got MUCH louder and my speakers aren't too great anyway.

I suppose for a really cheap setup for a garage or something it would work, but really I use my Sony BT speaker in the garage and it sounds much better than this did with speakers that cost more than the sony speaker and it overall sounds worse.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Wonder if marketing has designed it without the engineers “how hard can it be”
Oh you must mean my first giant conglomerate job ha ha. Marketing would throw a specification almost literally over the wall to Engineering. :rolleyes: No collaboration at all, just ridiculous and sad. So when I took a job at a different giant company as product planner, the first thing I did was talk to the engineers, talk to the marketers, talk to the sales people, talk to the dealers. What a concept, huh?

Top Bottom