• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono RCA to Active Speaker Balanced XLR

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
whats the point of the turntable if you convert it to digital?

To listen to records.

The same as usual.

All my TT listening goes through DSP-based RIAA EQ phono stages.

If you use a DSP phono stage with digital out (e.g. the Puffin), you can feed it to your DAC and solve the problem.

OP
D

dahuky

Nope, it seems like an awesome piece of equipment.

About DACS reviews in general.
when amirm tests a DAC does it give any indication about the converting process it self, how good it sounds, or its just checking signal noise and stuff like this.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
About DACS reviews in general.
when amirm tests a DAC does it give any indication about the converting process it self, how good it sounds, or its just checking signal noise and stuff like this.

Other than noise and distortion, what else will impact the sound? The tests simply compare what goes in (with a number of different tests designed to reveal different aspects of it's performance under different loads, frequencies, etc) with what comes out. If what comes out has differences that are lower than anyone could possibly hear, it is effectively transparent, so really shouldn't have a sound.

OP
D

dahuky

so the only difference between 5$ and 2000$ DAC is the noise? the song itself will sound the same in terms of vivid and smoothnes?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
so the only difference between 5$ and 2000$ DAC is the noise? the song itself will sound the same in terms of vivid and smoothnes?

And distortion.

Price has almost zero to do with it when it comes to solid state boxes. They are in the realm of the EE's , and are designed to do their job well or not, and that can be easily measured, just like every other piece of electronic equipment.

If a DAC is transparent, it is transparent. Some aren't, but we'd consider those broken or poorly designed for the most part, and that's also revealed through the measurements done.

The low hanging fruit in terms of easily heard SQ improvements is in the speaker/room system.

There are lots of good reasons to buy an expensive DAC, but SQ generally isn't going to be one of them.

OP
D

dahuky

And distortion.

Price has almost zero to do with it when it comes to solid state boxes. They are in the realm of the EE's , and are designed to do their job well or not, and that can be easily measured, just like every other piece of electronic equipment.

If a DAC is transparent, it is transparent. Some aren't, but we'd consider those broken or poorly designed for the most part, and that's also revealed through the measurements done.

The low hanging fruit in terms of easily heard SQ improvements is in the speaker/room system.

There are lots of good reasons to buy an expensive DAC, but SQ generally isn't going to be one of them.

And what are those reasons?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
And what are those reasons?

Build quality, country of origin (for some), connectivity, balanced vs unbalanced, output levels, warranty, bling factor, familiarity or any other reason one might have. Transparency has been the commodity for maybe 30 years or so.

Understanding sampling theory a bit can help with the feeling that there must be more to it. There really isn't. Competence should be expected as a threshold these days.

OP
D

dahuky

can i connect a DAC to a preamp, or that would be like double amp since the dac already had a preamp? (gustard X16)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
can i connect a DAC to a preamp, or that would be like double amp since the dac already had a preamp? (gustard X16)

You definitely can.
The DAC will give you a line level output. Most Preamps these days aren't really 'amps', but are more switchers with attenuation, so in that sense it is just passing through. There are 'real' Preamps that can increase output levels to send a stronger signal to your amps as well, and that's also just fine, as long as it is a good (clean) Preamp.

That's exactly how I use my Schiit Freya. DAC (w/volume control) into Freya, TT into Freya, Tuner into Freya. Freya into Amp (in this case, the ones built into my Active Speakers). That way, I just switch between them through the preamp and use it's volume control.

OP
D

dahuky

You definitely can.
The DAC will give you a line level output. Most Preamps these days aren't really 'amps', but are more switchers with attenuation, so in that sense it is just passing through. There are 'real' Preamps that can increase output levels to send a stronger signal to your amps as well, and that's also just fine, as long as it is a good (clean) Preamp.

That's exactly how I use my Schiit Freya. DAC (w/volume control) into Freya, TT into Freya, Tuner into Freya. Freya into Amp (in this case, the ones built into my Active Speakers). That way, I just switch between them through the preamp and use it's volume control.

and in that case, since the gustard x16 is like one of the best DAC's is there a chance the preamp will "bottleneck" it?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
and in that case, since the gustard x16 is like one of the best DAC's is there a chance the preamp will "bottleneck" it?

If it's crappy, sure.

If it's good, no, not really, in any audible sense.

It's not any different than running a CD player into a preamp.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Based on:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-freya-s-preamplifier-review-2.11543/

Conclusions
Honestly, there is no way I could ever build you a preamp with this functionality and performance and sell it at this price. Many of us who need a preamp have a digital source (DAC) and one analog input (Reel-to-Reel in my case, turntable for others). Having balanced preamplification including a passive and low gain mode is quite excellent here.

Maybe, but likely not audibly.

Practically speaking, the amps and especially the speakers are going to be the limiting factors in almost all cases.

OP
D

dahuky

is there something i'm missing here?
from what i see, most ppl have a 2000$+- speakers setup.
you are saying that the onl;y thing affecting SQ are the amp and the speakers.
so why the hell would someone spend 700$ on DAC and PREAMP each?
wouldn't it be much better to get a 4000$ speakers set up, a 50$ Preamp and 50$ DAC?

Last edited:
OP
D

dahuky

in addition, few folks here said that there is no superior in analog sources on digital; i'm sorry, but I can definitely tell the difference between my analogue production lp's to my digital media, no matter if its 192 or DSD, and i use a very budgety TT. am i imagining?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
is there something i'm missing here?
from what i see, most ppl have a 2000$+- speakers setup.
you are saying that the onl;y thing affecting SQ are the amp and the speakers.
so why in the hell would someone spend 700$ on DAC and PREAMP each?
wouldn't it be much better to get a 4000$ speakers set up, a 50$ Preamp and 50$ DAC?

Are you talking about active or passive set ups?

OP
D

dahuky

Are you talking about active or passive set ups?
i'm considering buying actives (genelec 8030) everybody says its more bang for the buck.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
in addition, few folks here said that there is no superior in analog sources on digital; i'm sorry, but I can definitely tell the difference between my analogue production lp's to my digital media, no matter if its 192 or DSD, and i use a very budgety TT. am i imagining?

Of course LPs and digital sound different.

That's true even with expensive turntables.

Also...."analog" is not the same as "LP".

A digital source can only represent what was in the original analog wave form seen by the upstream ADC. It can't resolve better than the original analog, but it's ideally not worse.

LP has less information than the original analog source. It's worse than the original analog source.

OP
D

dahuky

Of course LPs and digital sound different.

That's true even with expensive turntables.

Also...."analog" is not the same as "LP".

A digital source can only represent what was in the original analog wave form seen by the upstream ADC. It can't resolve better than the original analog, but it's ideally not worse.

LP has less information than the original analog source. It's worse than the original analog source.
i can swear the all analog lp's sound better then either regular lp's and digital.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
ohhh i'm considering buying actives (genelec 8030) every body says its more bang for the buck.

In my office DAW system (not living room), I use a $2000 RME ADI-2 with $1000/pr Dynaudio speakers, so it's weighted 66% do the ADC/DAC because I need the extra features that the RME provides over a cheaper DAC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom