• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Sonnie

FYI (unless I'm missing something)... a current sensing power strip with controlled outlets won't work with the SHD because it has to stay soft powered on for the remote power to work (power button on back has to be on all the time), so it needs constant power.

It's as if miniDSP went totally out of the way to prevent any type of remote trigger options.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI (unless I'm missing something)... a current sensing power strip with controlled outlets won't work with the SHD because it has to stay soft powered on for the remote power to work (power button on back has to be on all the time), so it needs constant power.

It's as if miniDSP went totally out of the way to prevent any type of remote trigger options.

High-end sensing power strip can allow you to set a Wattage threshold for your master device.

For-example the standby MiniDSP SHD probably uses 0.5W (EU specifications) and when it's turned on it uses significantly more.

Standby modes are not a MiniDSP thing you know, sensing power strips adapted.

Sonnie

High-end sensing power strip can allow you to set a Wattage threshold for your master device.

For-example the standby MiniDSP SHD probably uses 0.5W (EU specifications) and when it's turned on it uses significantly more.

Standby modes are not a MiniDSP thing you know, sensing power strips adapted.
I have a sensing power strip with sensitivity adjustment... when I lower the sensitivity, the SHD powers on for about 5 seconds, then shuts down. I can raise the sensitivity and lower it again, SHD cuts on for about 5 seconds, then powers down. During that 5 seconds that it is on, it does not respond to the remote control.

Perhaps the sensing power strip I have is not "high-end".

EDIT: I should also mention that during that 5 seconds, the controlled outlets also come on, even though the SHD is still soft-powered off.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a sensing power strip with sensitivity adjustment... when I lower the sensitivity, the SHD powers on for about 5 seconds, then shuts down. I can raise the sensitivity and lower it again, SHD cuts on for about 5 seconds, then powers down. During that 5 seconds that it is on, it does not respond to the remote control.

Perhaps the sensing power strip I have is not "high-end".

EDIT: I should also mention that during that 5 seconds, the controlled outlets also come on, even though the SHD is still soft-powered off.

Why would the unit turn off if it’s the master unit.

Sonnie

Why would the unit turn off if it’s the master unit.
I have no idea... all I know is the SHD does not work with the Bits LTD power sensing unit... or vice-versa.

I really don't think there is any way of setting up the SHD with a 12-volt trigger, short of using the digital out with an audio sensing 12-volt trigger unit, if you could find such a device that is still being manufactured.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea... all I know is the SHD does not work with the Bits LTD power sensing unit... or vice-versa.

I really don't think there is any way of setting up the SHD with a 12-volt trigger, short of using the digital out with an audio sensing 12-volt trigger unit, if you could find such a device that is still being manufactured.

I would play around with the sensitivity of the outlet till i get it working, and try different outlets too.

it’s easy to add trigger in to units, but it’s very difficult to add trigger out.

CoolHandDuke

I reckon the SHD will do fine. I haven't used the tidal app and I do not believe they have Tidal Connect yet but I hear it is in the pipeline for volumio so picking it shouldn't be too long for minidsp to pick it up as well... As far as your own files go many people have worked well with the nano pi on the shd. A small library will be fine or a networked drive otherwise. Others will probably chime in here as those two aspects I do not use.
Thanks. I'll probably drop Tidal. I wasn't aware until recently about the whole MQA thing. Realized when streaming thru Heos on my Denon AVR, it's not even able to unpack MQA so I can't even utilize it. End of the day, I just want whatever I use to work fairly reliably since this is my only audio system. What the SHD offered was one of the only solutions with bass management, room correction, etc. in an objectively well measured device.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The master receptacle should always be on, so if you have the SHD plugged in there and it is not working, but the SHD works plugged into another mains source, then the sensing power strip is not working properly.

I see how a low load device might not trigger the switched receptacles, but the master should always be powered on.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The master receptacle should always be on, so if you have the SHD plugged in there and it is not working, but the SHD works plugged into another mains source, then the sensing power strip is not working properly.

I see how a low load device might not trigger the switched receptacles, but the master should always be powered on.

I hope he didn’t brick the unit or something because of the outlet. This is indeed very weird.

TimW

Major Contributor

Check out the Bobwire. Sometimes out of stock and priced higher then I'd like but it performs this function.

Sonnie

I would play around with the sensitivity of the outlet till i get it working, and try different outlets too.
it’s easy to add trigger in to units, but it’s very difficult to add trigger out.

I got it to where it would trigger on the amp when I adjusted the sensitivity, but then when I used the remote power off the SHD, it would not turn off the controlled outlets and power off the amp. If I adjusted the sensitivity to where it just did cut off the amps, then powering on the SHD would not turn on the amps. I really think this sensing unit is just cheaply made.

Check out the Bobwire. Sometimes out of stock and priced higher then I'd like but it performs this function.
Yes... this is the unit was was referencing above that is no longer being manufacturered... just couldn't remember the name of it. I'm going to try to contact Bob and see if he has any intentions of making any more.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sonnie

How does this device help?

- Rich
It uses the SHD digital output (coax to optical converter required) to signal the 12-volt trigger output on the Bobwire DAT1. So... when you start playing music thru the SHD, the digital output triggers the DAT1 120-volt trigger. It will remain on for 45 seconds after it no longer senses any digital input signal.

I can use this to trigger my amps and trigger the ARX RS-1.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It uses the SHD digital output (coax to optical converter required) to signal the 12-volt trigger output on the Bobwire DAT1. So... when you start playing music thru the SHD, the digital output triggers the DAT1 120-volt trigger. It will remain on for 45 seconds after it no longer senses any digital input signal.

Ok got it.

I am starting to think I may walk across the room and power the amp on with my finger.

Any manufacturer that makes a product with diagrams showing it connected to an amp, should read this thread and have an epiphany :facepalm:

- Rich

Sonnie

Ok got it.

I am starting to think I may walk across the room and power the amp on with my finger.

Any manufacturer that makes a product with diagrams showing it connected to an amp, should read this thread and have an epiphany :facepalm:

- Rich
lol...

I've done the manual power on for amps before, but I've also turned all I could with my remote and walked right out of the room leaving my amps on for a couple of days... just not thinking or maybe sleepy headed.

TimW

Major Contributor
You can program the SHD to accept most remote control signals. I use universal remotes like the Logitec Harmony with hub and Sofabaton U1 with my miniDSP stuff.

Not making excuses because there should definitely be a trigger or even switched outlet like on old school preamps.

TimW

Major Contributor

I feel for you, the Bobwire was $40, then $65, now $88!?!? And you need a spdif to toslink converter just to use it with the SHD!

If MiniDSP came out with a V2 SHD with basic preamp functionality I would sell mine and buy that in a heartbeat.

win

Looks like you got it figured out @Sonnie

for anyone else: there's always the option of using a smart plug and a 12v dc power supply. You can connect the power supply to any components you want to trigger, and use the smart plug to turn on/off the trigger state.

then you can either use your phone, or other 'smart' ways to trigger - e.g. a wall switch state, or a motion sensor that knows when you've entered, or [...]

Sonnie

You can program the SHD to accept most remote control signals. I use universal remotes like the Logitec Harmony with hub and Sofabaton U1 with my miniDSP stuff.

Not making excuses because there should definitely be a trigger or even switched outlet like on old school preamps.
I have mine programmed into my URC MX-890.

I have a macro setup to swap the input of the HTP-1 processor to an unused input named SHD, then mute the HTP-1, then power on the SHD, and jump to the SHD page screen which controls the SHD. Once you get it setup, about you need is the volume.

I have another macro on the SHD screen to go back to the HTP-1... power off the SHD, unmute the HTP-1, switch back to the HPT-1 page where I'll choose either the Roku, Dish or UB9000 input.

What want to do is power down the HTP-1 when powering on the SHD, but I can't right now because the HTP-1 powers on my amps. The Bobwire DAT1 should solve my issue.

Top Bottom