• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

xup

But since we are all different in that regard, I don't know that we get to anything ideal. But yes, for realism we want some deformation of the cheeks which none of these HATS have. Until a couple of years ago we didn't even have flexible ears! That really screwed things up.
We are definitely moving forward!

I think part if the Abyss pitch is that rotating the pads should help accommodating different head shapes and so on.
That said, I definitely understand that a lot of time was spent trying to get a good fit on the rig.
Maybe when the other set comes in you could try that and see if that changes things.

xup

Spoken like a true snake oil vendor.
Totally unprofessional.
On that we agree on. This isn't professional. As I mentioned, people are calling them out on headfi, and also saying that if they think the methodology is flawed, a better response would be to reach out and suggest improvements, not to "shoot the messenger"

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Abyss responded to the review. I have no thoughts or opinions over Amir's measurements. I am curious as to how many people here have seen the measurements and heard the product though and why no other listeners seem to complain about the sound quality that the measurements purport to back up. To be clear, I've not heard the V2 so I have no opinion over how it sounds vs the measurements. I haven't heard anyone say: "What I'm hearing from the headphone backs up Amir measurements." All I hear is: "The measurements suck, the headphones definitely suck."
It is a futile effort to try and confront Abyss with this directly. They are in the business of selling expensive crap and they're not gonna abandon that anytime soon, even in the face of proof showing that their products are crap. If they cared about science and objective measurements, they wouldn't even be peddling audiophile BS like this. No, the people that this review is for are the customers that would have been suckered into their marketing scheme. Spread the word.

xup

While they are at it they should provide measurements for their cables too.
You won't hear me complain.
I can understand buying an expensive cable because you think it's pretty. Not because you think it'll change the sound

xup

It is a futile effort to try and confront Abyss with this directly. They are in the business of selling expensive crap and they're not gonna abandon that anytime soon in the face of proof showing their products are crap. If they cared about science and objective measurements, they wouldn't even be peddling audiophile BS like this. No, the people that this review is for are the customers that would have been suckered into their marketing scheme. Spread the word.
Well, as a customer, I do care how they react. I own one of their products and did call on them to respond better. At the end of the day, for me, good manners, being civil and being able to take criticism are important. While I can't unbuy from them, I can decide to spend my money elsewhere in the future

imagidominc

Forum Donor
Well, as a customer, I do care how they react. I own one of their products and did call on them to respond better. At the end of the day, for me, good manners, being civil and being able to take criticism are important. While I can't unbuy from them, I can decide to spend my money elsewhere in the future
Having a good relationship with customers is an extremely important and underrated part of business. I support JDS Labs bc their service is amazing.

And props to a company like Schitt, that had a bad reputation for poor measuring products for a while, they started to come out with better stuff after they received legitimate criticism.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are people so fuzzy over enjoying a bad product.

I have over my audiophile career ( or misfortune) enjoyed a whole lot of bad products ( and some good too ).
That’s how it is , the whole business is rigged to have you perpetualy uppgrading .
With more objective data we can know what parts of our systems that are keepers and not run in circles replacing the wrong stuff .

Zensō

Major Contributor
Abyss responded to the review. I have no thoughts or opinions over Amir's measurements. I am curious as to how many people here have seen the measurements and heard the product though and why no other listeners seem to complain about the sound quality that the measurements purport to back up. To be clear, I've not heard the V2 so I have no opinion over how it sounds vs the measurements. I haven't heard anyone say: "What I'm hearing from the headphone backs up Amir measurements." All I hear is: "The measurements suck, the headphones definitely suck."

Abyss.jpg

Note to self: don't do business with Abyss due to an arrogant attitude toward potential customers. They would do much better to come here and engage in the conversation.

ConnorG

Abyss / JPS talking about the importance of measuring equipment, as well as knowing how to use it, while simultaneously selling $5k cables... hmm.

ethr

It is a futile effort to try and confront Abyss with this directly. They are in the business of selling expensive crap and they're not gonna abandon that anytime soon, even in the face of proof showing that their products are crap. If they cared about science and objective measurements, they wouldn't even be peddling audiophile BS like this. No, the people that this review is for are the customers that would have been suckered into their marketing scheme. Spread the word.

Please share your first hand experience using Abyss headphones. It would be really helpful.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Please share your first hand experience using Abyss headphones. It would be really helpful.
I tried these headphones briefly. They sounded OK, though I do recall detecting an unpleasant graininess (for lack of a better word) that could be explained by the distortion Amir uncovered. The lack of padding on the headband and general strange fit was surprising given the price. Overall, I feel they're overpriced and overrated (though to be fair, this is true of many "flagship" headphones targeted at audiophiles). YMMV.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll stay around for more than this one thread.

ethr

you just joined ASR for this thread?

I'm just baffled why people post opinions about products they have never heard. I've never heard an Abyss product and have nothing to say about it's performance.

It's extra baffling when it is about products as personal and subjective as headphone tuning preference. I have a whole stable of headphones I pick from based on my mood at the time. Never would it occur to me to limit my options in headphones based on any measurement. It just doesn't make any sense.

I guess I needed to join in the "fun" when the measurements were done at deafening SPLs.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I'm just baffled why people post opinions about products they have never heard. I've never heard an Abyss product and have nothing to say about it's performance.

It's extra baffling when it is about products as personal and subjective as headphone tuning preference. I have a whole stable of headphones I pick from based on my mood at the time. Never would it occur to me to limit my options in headphones based on any measurement. It just doesn't make any sense.

I guess I needed to join in the "fun" when the measurements were done at deafening SPLs.
The issues with this headphone primarily have to do with distortion, not tuning. As stated in the review, the distortion limits one's ability to EQ the headphone, which some would consider a severe limitation for a headphone that costs $3000.

GoldenOne

Not Active
The issues with this headphone primarily have to do with distortion, not tuning. As stated in the review, the distortion limits one's ability to EQ the headphone, which some would consider a severe limitation for a headphone that costs $3000.
But its very unlikely that the distortion figures when on a head are actually anywhere close to that. As explained earlier, a planar driver with no front-volume seal will have immensely higher distortion figures.

Zensō

Major Contributor
But its very unlikely that the distortion figures when on a head are actually anywhere close to that. As explained earlier, a planar driver with no front-volume seal will have immensely higher distortion figures.
Amir found the sound "gritty". It's been awhile since I heard them, but I recall detecting a "graininess" (hate these audiophile terms). Either could be explained by distortion, though who knows. Do you have these headphones, or have you listened to them?

ethr

I tried these headphones briefly. They sounded OK, though I do recall detecting an unpleasant graininess (for lack of a better word) that could be explained by the distortion Amir uncovered. The lack of padding on the headband and general strange fit was surprising given the price. Overall, I feel they're overpriced and overrated (though to be fair, this is true of many "flagship" headphones targeted at audiophiles). YMMV.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll stay around for more than this one thread.
Thank you. This is helpful.

the_brunx

But I remembered on this video the Abyss engineer? said the dianas could even work well as on-ears. I don't think you get much of a seal when you do that but apparently it works just as well. so what's up with that?

just skip to around 1:35

Last edited:

Rock Rabbit

Okay, well it might be something to consider if every planar you get to measure turns out like crap. :) This isn't a "does one cable sound better than another" type argument. Microphones are all about those magnetic fields. It's science. :)
Measurement microphones are capacitor type they don't use magnetic fields....it's science

Top Bottom