• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase e470

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not at all, in my case with E-460 with stereo 8 Ohm SPs, even in very high position of the volume dial. I compared E-460 with Benchmark AHB2, and I found, in usual listening circumstances, E-460 is just quiet as AHB2, even I placed my ears 5 cm from the SPs including Be-Tweeters and Horn Super Tweeters.

Accuphase A-36 is (was) also "quiet" just like AHB2, in my recent evaluation of one demo unit of A-36.

In both of the above cases (E-460 and A-36), I used XLR balance input from my OKTO DAC8PRO which is really quiet DAC, as you know and as amirm reviewed. Just for your info, you can find A-36's guaranteed THD chart in my post here.
Maybe the measurements with wide open preamp volume suffer in part because of the high gain (0.19V sensitivity)? This is about 2X more gain than the NAD M3, for example.

Accu480

Since I am using E-460 with great satisfaction, I would highly appreciate if we could hear measurements of E-470, E-480, E-380, E-650 and also E-800; these are the recent integrated amp series from ACCUPHASE!
My 480 has the same problems as the 270. I did the tests with xlr and rca cables of the same brand and I had a heart attack ... At high volumes the amplifier darkens and you have to lower the volume for a few seconds and when you put the same back on track hear the clearest sound. When you go back up with the volume up the problem occurs again.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 480 has the same problems as the 270. I did the tests with xlr and rca cables of the same brand and I had a heart attack ... At high volumes the amplifier darkens and you have to lower the volume for a few seconds and when you put the same back on track hear the clearest sound. When you go back up with the volume up the problem occurs again.
I also have an E-480 but cannot say I have ever had/noticed this issue.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I also have an E-460 but cannot say I have ever had/noticed this issue.

OP
P

PLB

I have the 470 and have not had those issues.

Accu480

I also have an E-480 but cannot say I have ever had/noticed this issue.
try to use xlr and leave connected an rca connected only to the 480 without connecting it to the cd. In my tests I found that the sound becomes emphasized and dark, even the music becomes unclear and loses dynamics. obviously we are talking about shades but with an attentive ear it is perceived very well. The second problem is that my 480 sounds very good when cold but when it warms up the sound gets muddled and muddy ..

Accu480

try to use xlr and leave connected an rca connected only to the 480 without connecting it to the cd. In my tests I found that the sound becomes emphasized and dark, even the music becomes unclear and loses dynamics. obviously we are talking about shades but with an attentive ear it is perceived very well. The second problem is that my 480 sounds very good when cold but when it warms up the sound gets muddled and muddy ..
I also compared it to a new 480 from the seller and mine sounded awful in comparison. The seller told me that the difference is because of the running in but not happy I sent my unit for assistance. After two weeks of various tests, they sent my 480 back to me saying it had no problem. Not happy with the answer I had to sell my accuphase and bought myself the vitus ri-101 MkII. Today I live happily without noticing the drop in performance. In my opinion all integrated accuphase have serious problems.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds very strange and misterious. I have my E-460, and I recently intesively tested A-36, both in Japan. I have absolutely no such issue with E-460 and A-36...

Accu480

Sounds very strange and misterious. I have my E-460, and I recently intesively tested A-36, both in Japan. I have absolutely no such issue with E-460 and A-36...

Perhaps the 260,360, and 460 models do not have this problem. I know the success series was designed by a young engineer .. In your case you are using the 460 as a preamp so you may not have my problems.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps the 260,360, and 460 models do not have this problem. I know the success series was designed by a young engineer .. In your case you are using the 460 as a preamp so you may not have my problems.
Again, I have lots of use of my E-480 using many different input and output configurations, and I have never encountered this issues you are describing.

OP
P

PLB

I also compared it to a new 480 from the seller and mine sounded awful in comparison. The seller told me that the difference is because of the running in but not happy I sent my unit for assistance. After two weeks of various tests, they sent my 480 back to me saying it had no problem. Not happy with the answer I had to sell my accuphase and bought myself the vitus ri-101 MkII. Today I live happily without noticing the drop in performance. In my opinion all integrated accuphase have serious problems.

That’s an odd response from the seller, my E-470 has many many hours clocked and has never sounded better. I’ve had many highly regarded amplifiers over the years and have never been happier as I am with the E-470. I have never encountered any of the issues you’re describing. I spent some time last night trying to replicate what you’re experiencing with no luck. I would have to conclude that your unit is flawed.

OP
P

PLB

I’ve been running mine for the last few hours at a fairly loud setting and haven’t encountered what you’ve described. On the contrary I think it sounds even better than when I first started.

Attachments

• 52643A28-1414-4338-9FE3-B8E1B7AF41CF.jpeg
    52643A28-1414-4338-9FE3-B8E1B7AF41CF.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 179
OP
P

PLB

After running the 470 for about 4.5 hours at high volume levels, surface temperature has only reached 32.8 degrees Celsius, which translates to 91.04 Fahrenheit.

Attachments

• 6076D0AC-EB3E-4460-A9C8-A52A5BDC23C2.jpeg
    6076D0AC-EB3E-4460-A9C8-A52A5BDC23C2.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 120

Accu480

I’ve been running mine for the last few hours at a fairly loud setting and haven’t encountered what you’ve described. On the contrary I think it sounds even better than when I first started.
For sure my accuphase was faulty, I think the problems started after piloting the raidho. Poor fellow didn't succeed and maybe I did some damage to the transistors. However, this is no longer a problem.

OP
P

PLB

Well I guess what you meant to say is all damaged Accuphase Integrated amplifiers have serious problems.

Mikechw

I had E480 for over a year. The amp sounds very clear when its cold/warm.. After it heats up, I noticed sound quality does degrade.. My friend told me its because mosfet's noises increase with temperature.. I have a little temperature controlled fan on top of E480. And now my E480 sound good for as long as I have it turned on..

Try to keep your E480 in open space may help.

Reactions: trl

Accu480

I had E480 for over a year. The amp sounds very clear when its cold/warm.. After it heats up, I noticed sound quality does degrade.. My friend told me its because mosfet's noises increase with temperature.. I have a little temperature controlled fan on top of E480. And now my E480 sound good for as long as I have it turned on..

Try to keep your E480 in open space may help.
Sell it .. This problem is not acceptable. My unit was also giving me the same problem. The only solution was to sell it.

Mikechw

The sound quality degrade vs temp is very subtle. I listen to music all day on weekends,. I noticed I want to stop after awhile because I am getting fatque. Until i have a fan over the unit, I dont get tired of listening. Now I use my E-480 as an AV amp only. I have separated my 2 channels system with 2x Benchmark AHB2..

Accu480

[QUOTE = "Mikechw, post: 635008, member: 10692"] La qualità del suono peggiora rispetto alla temperatura è molto sottile. Ascolto musica tutto il giorno nei fine settimana. Ho notato che voglio smettere dopo un po 'perché sto diventando grasso. Fino a quando non avrò un ventilatore sull'unità, non mi stanco di ascoltare. Ora uso il mio E-480 solo come amplificatore AV. Ho separato il mio sistema a 2 canali con 2x Benchmark AHB2 .. [/ QUOTE]
Ho risolto i miei problemi con il vitus r-101 mkII. Ha un suono neutro con un medio alto alleggerito ma caldo e molto musicale. La tridimensionalità e la profondità sono nettamente superiori al 480. Direi che accuphase suono con una scena piatta. I bassi del vitus sono più veloci e controlla meglio gli altoparlanti e nel complesso il suono è molto realistico. Ad alcuni potrebbe mancare il corpo rispetto all'accuphase, ma lo trovo adorabile.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Accu480 and Mikechw,

I believe you need/should directly contact with headquarter of Accuphase Laboratory, Inc. in Japan using their inquiry page;
http://www.accuphase.com/contact/contact_us.html
to communicate and discuss the issue(s) you have with E-480 etc., and, as far as you can, you need to share the communication with Accuphase at here in this thread.

Otherwise, I assume, this thread would be misleading, or giving unfair, inproper message and/or impressions to the people visiting here...

Please note that I am just one of the end users of Accuphase product (E-460), and I have no conflict of interest at all with Accuphase Laboraroty, Inc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom