• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Voltage conversion instead of step up transformer?

dman777

I was thinking about buying a Accuphase amp from Japan. The seller offers a voltage conversion so it would work in the USA. Would this be better than buying a separate step up voltage transformer? Is there any risk that the seller might use low quality parts and effect the SQ if I did elect him/her to do the voltage conversion?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I was thinking about buying a Accuphase amp from Japan. The seller offers a voltage conversion so it would work in the USA. Would this be better than buying a separate step up voltage transformer? Is there any risk that the seller might use low quality parts and effect the SQ if I did elect him/her to do the voltage conversion?
What @somebodyelse said. The seller may just be adding a step-up transformer bundled with the amp, or may be setting internal jumpers to use a different transformer tap. If it is a step-up transformer, and it has adequate capacity for the amp, it should not affect sound quality.

Accuphase makes amps for distribution in the USA so you might contact the company directly and see what they suggest.

177x

@dman777 have you actually purchased the item with the converted voltage? If so, was there any issues with the unit since?

OP
D

dman777

No, went with a luxman 595 class a amp instead... the American version

Top Bottom