• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

Pepperjack

Okay, that hurt. So, never mind. I'll delete the post, and go elsewhere for reviews from now on. Feel free to delete my account.
I love this now says deleted member. Really nice back and forth with a worthy punchline. Sorry to continue the off topic, was just too funny...

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the display using OLED? If so, may I ask a nitpicking question about the typeface? I’ve noticed that many Chinese products use a rather ugly (in my eyes at least) typeface with narrow stems and wide serifs. Coming from a culture with a long and proud history of calligraphy, that choice has always puzzled me. I would prefer a sans-serif typeface as used by almost all “Western” designs.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is the display using OLED? If so, may I ask a nitpicking question about the typeface? I’ve noticed that many Chinese products use a rather ugly (in my eyes at least) typeface with narrow stems and wide serifs. Coming from a culture with a long and proud history of calligraphy, that choice has always puzzled me. I would prefer a sans-serif typeface as used by almost all “Western” designs.
What is the question?

StefaanE

Forum Donor
What is the question?
Sorry, it’s the implicit “why use such an ugly typeface when calligraphy is one of your high arts?”

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can see where pma is coming from. Michael's comments didn't seem out of line, but was met with some vitriol. He just seemed to express an opinion about flac and audibility in double -blind. What's the issue? I've noted critical remarks in the reviews of other manufacturers, but no redirect from Amir. The recent Geshelli review where their choice of form factor was criticized, but not commented on by moderators comes to mind. I'm sure there is no Topping favoritism, but the quick rebuke of Michael's comments seems odd based on my experience of this forum.

There has been a tendency lately for review threads to get badly derailed, so there is going to be more active moderation in those threads to try to keep them from turning into shit shows.

A bit more context here:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-rules-for-review-threads.18744/

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, it’s the implicit “why use such an ugly typeface when calligraphy is one of your high arts?”

What's the typeface's relation with Oled ?
It's purely a taste matter.

But true, I like the one of the Okto . But I won't change my D90 for that reason.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What's the typeface's relation with Oled ?
It's purely a taste matter.

But true, I like the one of the Okto . But I won't change my D90 for that reason.
Could you please help explaining what he meant? I couldn't really understand what precisely he was talking about.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you please help explaining what he meant? I couldn't really understand what precisely he was talking about.
As far as I understood he meant the shape of the fonts, the style of the writing.
NO relation to the material; just the artwork.
Again, that's how I understood it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer push buttons to rotary volume control.
Good quality rotary are expensive and it still breaks with extensive uses.

you can use an optical non-contact rotary control, which are not much more costly than up/down buttons and doesn’t break down with use.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Funny, the display design is something that bugs me as well. UI design is hard, no two ways about that, and it often needs the input of someone who has specific expertise. This is never an electronic design engineer. Which is why we end up with such awful designs. It seems that there are a few OLED display units that get used in many of these devices, and somehow, almost all of the devices that use them end up with similar awful designs. Perhaps there is a simple programming library that includes the dreadful font.

My other constant criticism is the way so many of these cheap display designs emulate even cheaper displays. Why oh why does everyone feel the need to visually mimic a seven segment display for numbers? It makes exactly no sense. One has the ability to render a well formed number, and somehow thinks it is cool to make the numbers look like they are on a cheap calculator from the 1980's when that was the best display technology there was.

Actually it looks as if the desire is to make the display look like a custom LCD display. So it has all the disadvantages of such a display, and none of the advantages of crisp outlines and nicely formed graphics. Compared to the DX3 Pro, all of the OLED based displays look cheap and present a much worse user experience. They are slow, hard to read, and look like a hobby kit project rather than a professional product. A proper pixel based display provides a very different design space, but sadly few manufacturers seem to be up to the task of taking advantage of that space. You would never see Sony deliver such a poor design, even in the cheapest of products.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the things is that we all know that rotary encoder isn't all that consistent and durable.

I think many manufacturers will disagree with that. An optical encoder when used correctly is a very precise device. In fact they are generally more precise than a potentiometer. Having no moving parts other than a single ballbearing, they are also much, much more durable than up/down switches.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think many manufacturers will disagree with that. An optical encoder when used correctly is a very precise device. In fact they are generally more precise than a potentiometer. Having no moving parts other than a single ballbearing, they are also much, much more durable than up/down switches.
16 dollars a piece? Are you kidding me? :D

YSC

Major Contributor
One of the things is that we all know that rotary encoder isn't all that consistent and durable. Some units will have encoder jumping, skipping etc and some are fine out of the box and developing issues over time. It's just another trade off. Analog pot + ADC isn't all that remote control friendly. Motorized pot is expensive and adds another mechanical part that can break. And the experience operating on the machine is not so different with a remote. What about improving the remote as well. Yeah we all thought about it but there really isn't a good solution. So we kept it the same as D70, D90. It's not optimal, but if it didn't break why fix it especially for an S upgrade.
Hi John, I somehow feels that a stepped attenuator or a alps blue pot at the output stage would be a nicer idea, depending on the target price bracket. I know the motorised option is not cheap but when approaching the high end segment I believe a lot of us are willing to pick the upgrade, or at least make it a built to order fashion? Ease with remote or number of steps here in a dac product seems less of an issue as usually the amp part have a volume option also, so rough steps are ok and the merit of a analogue volume control which attenuate the noise together with signal will be a plus. When one needs digital volume maybe windows could make that minor change

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John, I somehow feels that a stepped attenuator or a alps blue pot at the output stage would be a nicer idea, depending on the target price bracket. I know the motorised option is not cheap but when approaching the high end segment I believe a lot of us are willing to pick the upgrade, or at least make it a built to order fashion? Ease with remote or number of steps here in a dac product seems less of an issue as usually the amp part have a volume option also, so rough steps are ok and the merit of a analogue volume control which attenuate the noise together with signal will be a plus. When one needs digital volume maybe windows could make that minor change
RME uses the regular rotary encoder as well. It's certainly ok in a sense. And with combination with a couple of relays you do get a lot better SNR when attenuated.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
16 dollars a piece? Are you kidding me? :D
Not really.

You are competing with devices that cost order of magnitude more than yours. You already matched or superseded their specs, shouldn’t you be aiming to supersede their functionality next?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Not really.

You are competing with devices that cost order of magnitude more than yours. You already matched or superseded their specs, shouldn’t you be aiming to supersede their functionality next?
Well. Sure.

PeteL

Major Contributor
usually the amp part have a volume option also, so rough steps are ok and the merit of a analogue volume control which attenuate the noise together with signal will be a plus. When one needs digital volume maybe windows could make that minor change
Why with this use case in mind would you want analog volume control on the DAC at all? Maybe I'm old, but to me, analog preamps still have a definitive value in an audio chain (and topping seems to be doing a great one), There will always be limitations in asking the DAC, to fullfill this task. some don't like the digital volume control, some don't like the lowish output voltage. Yes, for those who don't use any analog source, a full fledge DAC + Preamp are smart devices, but then we shouldn't hope to be priced a few bucks more than the DAC, it's a DAC, and a preamp, in one box. DACs, even tough they have some volume control, are not evaluated and measured here as preamps anyway. It's ok to keep asking more from manufacturers, but we are not "approaching the high end segment " with these pricing, nowhere near. We are approching Topping flagship DAC segment, which arguably, when talking of desktop dacs, performs as well as anything high end, but it's unreasonable to ask for the feature set of a full fledge preamp, unless we want to pay twice as much or more, but it could be a daring proposition for a brand like Topping to start offering 1500$ Equipment. They haven't done that, I think they like to focus on releasing various single use device at attractive price.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Just adding to the display design, contrast the graphics on the MiniDSP SDH with the D70s. These are products that pretty much sitting in the same quality space. Yet one looks slick, is very legible, and looks reasonably modern. The other is blocky, looks dated, and looks cheap. Yet they may well be using the same part. The additional mess of inconsistent and useless labelling on the D70s is also obvious. (We don't actually need to see the technical specification on the front panel. That again is the sort of thing one associates with cheap designs that some how need to show off.)

index.php

Top Bottom