• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do USB Audio Cables Make A Difference?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Obviously since you're young you missed my point. Data has it's place for sure but doing studio work and talking to experienced engineers I've come to realize that "data" in and of itself is not the "be all and end all" in evaluating equipment that you're contemplating purchasing. Now if it is - good luck!

I'm 50 years old young with a BS in applied physics specializing in signal processing.

I'm not an EE, but I think I have a good handle on the math and science of wave forms.

Scienceguy

I take it you have no idea how digital audio actually works, do you? Or analog, for that matter.
DUH I DUNNO CAN YOU SLAIN IT IN SIMPL TURMS??? After 40 years of working with it well I guess I'm not as much of a genus er genius as you - I bow to your all powerful knowledge and magnificence!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
He has no idea how trolling works.

This is a D- effort at best.

It's like a simple troll is a relief these days...

Scienceguy

Okay, a few things.

1. No, it makes zero difference whatsoever. Bits are bits, as long as they get there in order and without induced errors it doesn't matter. Digital either works or it doesn't.
2. Sighted tests lie. Even blind tests do if they're not set up perfectly.
3. "Synergy" in the audiophile sense doesn't exist.
4. Below a certain %THD+N and %IMD gear is indistinguishable in a level-matched test. Even $100 DACs can easily do this.

According to all objective measurements the Modi 3 (and even moreso the Modius) are way, way, way more linear (i.e. transparent) than the Yggdrasil. That said, they're all probably good enough that any differences are likely inaudible.
An excellent way out "are good enough that any differences are probably inaudible" okay!

Scienceguy

Given your depth of experience, can I pick your brain?

What are your favorite microphones to use for stereo cardioid recordings from an elevated stand in a symphony hall, placed somewhere in the 7th - 12th row?

Touché - Can I pick your brain what is your favourite make and weight of drum heads when you're doing a "jazz" recording?

dfuller

Major Contributor
An excellent way out "are good enough that any differences are probably inaudible" okay!
More like "science says hearing distortion is very difficult for most people below 1%" but you do you I guess
Given your depth of experience, can I pick your brain?

What are your favorite microphones to use for stereo cardioid recordings from an elevated stand in a symphony hall, placed somewhere in the 7th - 12th row?
At that distance, why cardioid? I'd have probably gone with omnis. Either way, U67s are probably my pick, but I'm a little biased towards the U67 because it's my favorite mic ever.

DUH I DUNNO CAN YOU SLAIN IT IN SIMPL TURMS??? After 40 years of working with it well I guess I'm not as much of a genus er genius as you - I bow to your all powerful knowledge and magnificence!
You can work with something and have no idea how it works just fine. My main gig is mastering, and I'll tell you right now: the number of MEs who have no clue how audio works and fall for all the same audio myths that audiophiles do is extremely high.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
At that distance, why cardioid? I'd have probably gone with omnis. Either way, U67s are probably my pick, but I'm a little biased towards the U67 because it's my favorite mic ever.

Yeah, I already have U47s, which are switchable dual pattern.

But I get paranoid when I put them up high in a mic tree. Those Telefunkens are pricey.

Distance is...50-70 feet, I guess?

Scienceguy

I have no opinion on drums.

I'm a bass player, acoustic and electric.

Art Blakey is my favorite jazz drummer, probably.

One of mine also along with Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, and recently Michal Miskiewicz drummer with the "Marcin Wasilewski Trio" ( they used to back up Tomasz Stanko ) to name a few. If you haven't heard this trio I think you'd really dig them they're on ECM and they have quite a few albums out the "live" double album or cd is a killer! Well at least we agree on something - Jazz! Good chatting with you.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
One of mine also along with Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, and recently Michal Miskiewicz drummer with the "Marcin Wasilewski Trio" ( they used to back up Tomasz Stanko ) to name a few. If you haven't heard this trio I think you'd really dig them they're on ECM and they have quite a few albums out the "live" double album or cd is a killer! Well at least we agree on something - Jazz! Good chatting with you.

I like Steve Gadd's recent drumming work on the album he made with Chick Corea. 'Green Dragonfly' or something similar.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are about 3 threads now dealing with the same kind of statements that go into so many different directions.
Each time I have to scroll all way up and acknowledge what thread are we on.
Though it makes no difference at the end ...
Nevertheless, it's (somehow) amusing, or maybe not ....

No relation, but Jazz wise I like this

1607388456580.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good example is a devoutly religious individual trying to convince a non believer that there is a Dog sorry God - it just won't happen no matter what the proof each believes they have.

There was that famous debate between Bill Nye ("the science guy") and creationist Ken Ham. They were asked
what it would take for them to change their mind. Bill Nye answered "evidence", while Ken Ham basically sai
d "Nothing. I believe in the Bible".

So please convince us - with some actual evidence. You know, the way science works...

Katji

Major Contributor
Disgusting how this thread collapsed into enmity, poorly informed positions, and mischief.
Aside from that, it is just nothing to do with USB cables - audio or otherwise.

Marcos Mazur

As for Topping E30, how susceptible is it to the pc's power source and interference? this DAC has a usb cable for data and another power cable, but speaking of the USB data cable specifically, would it be better to use a very short common cable with shielded with ferrite or a "supra cable"?

Top Bottom