• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

wasnotwasnotwas

There is no doubt that these relatively inexpensive products coming from China are impressive, spec-wise. Having spent a lot of time there, their high tech does not surprise me anymore. Although you don't read about it over here much, China is bringing back rocks from the moon as I type.

For their home market these little electronic products are a no brainer, representing great value. As an import product, especially here in the US, questions must be asked. Questions regarding long term viability. Questions about their ability to be imported at a low price point. Questions about service. Those questions are not easily answered. It is (or at least has the potential to be) a complicated situation. Perhaps those questions are beyond the scope of ASR's technical oriented concerns. But for a consumer they are relevant.

Personal story: a year or two ago I was set to buy a Hauwei phone. My carrier was going to sell and support the brand. I was happy about that and ready to make the purchase. Then everything changed overnight. If I needed an inexpensive DAC or headphone amp, I'd buy quickly. Who can say how any of this will turn out?

Yes, but I dont think Gustard/ Topping could be remotely classed as a threat to national security. I'd agree about potential returns/ service issues, I suppose as consumers we have to factor that into our purchase decision with eyes open. At this price/ performance level though, Chinese products are a no brainer for us in the UK compared to US made equivalents with far less availability and similar import considerations and costs.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance story can turn around for Huawei under new administration?
I don't want to get into politics. This is not really the forum for that. My point was that circumstances beyond the individual user's control that could possibly relate to product availability have to be considered in consumer-oriented purchasing decisions.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but I dont think Gustard/ Topping could be remotely classed as a threat to national security.
I was thinking along the lines of tariffs and general import restrictions. That could raise the price of goods, or restrict availability. They are beyond the control of the consumer. Certainly speculative at this point. In the context of, say, a Benchmark DAC, it would not be a direct issue for anyone in the US since that is where they are made.

snatex

I can't get any of the remote functions to work on the H16. I pressed the amp button and tried power, volume, menu, etc. I even tried the remote that came with the A18 and same result. Both remotes work fine with the A18. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I don't want to get into politics. This is not really the forum for that. My point was that circumstances beyond the individual user's control that could possibly relate to product availability have to be considered in consumer-oriented purchasing decisions.
If i buy a EU product wouldnt I have to send it back to the EU,so what's the problem?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I can't get any of the remote functions to work on the H16. I pressed the amp button and tried power, volume, menu, etc. I even tried the remote that came with the A18 and same result. Both remotes work fine with the A18. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
I told you a week ago to hold the amp button for a few seconds

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Pretty solid performance, and combined with the preamp functionality, proper volume control (I'm sorry, but if you are charging anything more than budget prices for your product, it should not be relying on a potentiometer for volume control), and being able to be used with a remote control, I think that this unit will sell pretty well. If only the rotary encoder was not recessed...
The rotary is smoother than a knob

snatex

I told you a week ago to hold the amp button for a few seconds

I understand. I tried that before and after you posted it. In my post above I specifically said I pressed the amp button before trying the functions. Both remotes work fine with the A18.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I understand. I tried that before and after you posted it. In my post above I specifically said I pressed the amp button before trying the functions. Both remotes work fine with the A18.
Mine works fine,maybe the IR is bad,with mine I had to press and hold the Amp button for 5 to 10 sec maybe a little less and it works for me,make sure you point it at the amp

Last edited:

Torphie

Great products but very slow delivery.....still waiting for my X16, it’s been more than three weeks since I handed over my hard earned dosh and still no shipping date...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no doubt that these relatively inexpensive products coming from China are impressive, spec-wise. Having spent a lot of time there, their high tech does not surprise me anymore. Although you don't read about it over here much, China is bringing back rocks from the moon as I type.

For their home market these little electronic products are a no brainer, representing great value. As an import product, especially here in the US, questions must be asked. Questions regarding long term viability. Questions about their ability to be imported at a low price point. Questions about service. Those questions are not easily answered. It is (or at least has the potential to be) a complicated situation. Perhaps those questions are beyond the scope of ASR's technical oriented concerns. But for a consumer they are relevant.

e. Then everything changed overnight. If I needed an inexpensive DAC or headphone amp, I'd buy quickly. Who can say how any of this will turn out?

Seeing the frequency ASR folks here buy and change their dacs, I don't think that service will be an issue for the first buyer :cool:
+ you can always buy it locally Apos in the US, Audiophonics in EU aso and return it to them, no ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think we're easily at the point here where the most important differentiators are ergonomics, appearance, and feature set within one box.

And unfortunately, this is where products like this fall short.

1607387552334.png

The front panel layout of the jacks is an utter disaster. They have mounted all the different size sockets directly on to the PCB (to save money), so they sit at different heights. Sub PCBs and risers should have been used to bring them all into line. With only 6 front panel elements, to have 4 of those on different alignments is inexcusable. Same criticism of a recent Topping.

It just looks rather cheap and DIY style, when the rest of the product is world class.

PS @amirm what is the little hole in the front panel? A reset button?

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You pre-ordered a product. Of course there is a wait time.

No the advertised release date was 16th of Nov, this is obviously a delay. It has been disclosed that Gustard has some shady business going on (albeit by their competitors) so i would be very careful before ordering something else.

dmac6419

Major Contributor

View attachment 97916

The front panel layout of the jacks is an utter disaster. They have mounted all the different size sockets directly on to the PCB (to save money), so they sit at different heights. Sub PCBs and risers should have been used to bring them all into line. With only 6 front panel elements, to have 4 of those on different alignments is inexcusable. Same criticism of a recent Topping.

It just looks rather cheap and DIY style, when the rest of the product is world class.

Jacks fit all jacks just fine,I see no problems at all,sounds good to.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
No the advertised release date was 16th of Nov, this is obviously a delay. It has been disclosed that Gustard has some shady business going on (albeit by their competitors) so i would be very careful before ordering something else.
There you go again saying something stuxxx,X16, is in MQA certification process everyone knows that.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 97916

I didn't realize before you brought it up, such misalignment is surely not very "German" styling.

About the little hole. It was brought up elsewhere as other of their dacs have the same hole.
Probably the case is tooled like that.

1607389047385.png

1607389251083.png

raif71

Major Contributor

View attachment 97916

I just noticed this...does the unit have 2 4.4mm pentaconn jacks? If so, why?

Top Bottom