• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Jimmy

With home or prosumer equipment this is habitual, even the ADI 2 line does it, the DAC variant also has the jacks at different heights, the PRO does not because they are identical, but this is a non issue.

The problem with Gustard is that it doesn't have good distribution in many countries, you can easily buy SMSL or Topping through Amazon Prime, and personally I would spend the difference and get an A90, although it uses a regular potentiometer for volumen control.

Jacks that are used frequently have to be sturdy. My experience is that jacks soldered to the main PCB is wrongheaded. A likely point of failure. I don't know what this looks like on the inside, so I can't say. Maybe the connections are very solid. I've experienced problems in the past with jacks as part of the mother board. It is a low price point solution.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
With home or prosumer equipment this is habitual, even the ADI 2 line does it, the DAC variant also has the jacks at different heights, the PRO does not because they are identical, but this is a non issue.

The problem with Gustard is that it doesn't have good distribution in many countries, you can easily buy SMSL or Topping through Amazon Prime, and personally I would spend the difference and get an A90, although it uses a regular potentiometer for volumen control.
You can buy Gustard on Amazon as well ,same as you can buy SMSL or Topping.

Jimmy

Amazon is like Ebay, you can buy almost anything from anyone, but only things "fullfilled by Amazon" or from local suppliers are free from shipping troubles and the risk of customs.

I haven't seen any Gustard gear in Amazon that falls into that category (in Europe), only shipped from China, but anyway you are partially right because I've just seen that Audiophonics carries them, anyway for the price difference my personal choice would still be the Topping A90.

You can buy Gustard on Amazon as well ,same as you can buy SMSL or Topping.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Amazon is like Ebay, you can buy almost anything from anyone, but only things "fullfilled by Amazon" or from local suppliers are free from shipping troubles and the risk of customs.

I haven't seen any Gustard gear in Amazon that falls into that category (in Europe), only shipped from China, but anyway you are partially right because I've just seen that Audiophonics carries them, anyway for the price difference my personal choice would still be the Topping A90.
I have the A90 as well as the H16 I've been listening to the H16 more with an active speaker setup, you can't go wrong with either one.

cyberthingy

Forum Donor
I pulled the trigger on the H16/X16 stack. Apos indicates a mid January shipping date. This will be my first Gustard experience but I have been eyeballing their products the last couple of years.

NightlyNurse

I pulled the trigger on the H16/X16 stack. Apos indicates a mid January shipping date. This will be my first Gustard experience but I have been eyeballing their products the last couple of years.
Good luck with the stack. Don't know about the X16 but I love my A18MQA/H16 Combo. Best of luck :)

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good luck with the stack. Don't know about the X16 but I love my A18MQA/H16 Combo. Best of luck :)

Since Gustard has now MQA certification issues (see the X16 thread)
Just wondering if the MQA is well working on your A18 ?

NightlyNurse

I haven't tried it actually. I don't have a tidal account. In saying that though the Gustard A18MQA is my favorite by far. I took it over both the Topping D90 MQA and SGD1 which I tried both.

sakt1moko

I read about that problem, and it seems the figure out how to fix it on december, nop?

Anyone could confirm that the 4 front connection are XLR, 6.35, 4.4 and 3.5??
I would dream about an amp that got all types of connection and just found this marvelous product.

Should I get the combo stack of gustard instead of smsl su/sh-9?

Thanks, folks

NightlyNurse

I read about that problem, and it seems the figure out how to fix it on december, nop?

Anyone could confirm that the 4 front connection are XLR, 6.35, 4.4 and 3.5??
I would dream about an amp that got all types of connection and just found this marvelous product.

Should I get the combo stack of gustard instead of smsl su/sh-9?

Thanks, folks
I can confirm. The 3.5 is the balanced version though. Not the normal kind that comes with headphones. I'd recommend the Gustard A18MQA with it. I have it and its my favorite dac with the Denefrips ARES II being a close second

Slavich

Hi! I need help with Gustrad H16. Does it works like XLR to RCA converter? For preamp between balanced DAC and not-balanced poweramp.

Poganin

Yeah it can do that :)
So if I were to go PC -> USB -> X16 -> XLR -> H16 -> RCA pre-out -> Feliks Audio Echo and use either the H16 or the Echo for listening purposes I wouldn't fry anything? Sorry if this is a noobish question but I'm not really well-versed in the technical side of it.

I'm considering upgrading to the Gustard stack and I'm wondering how I should connect the chain. I hear the X16 doesn't have an output selector between RCA and XLR, and I'd like both amps in the chain for different headphones.

Veri

Master Contributor
So if I were to go PC -> USB -> X16 -> XLR -> H16 -> RCA pre-out -> Feliks Audio Echo and use either the H16 or the Echo for listening purposes I wouldn't fry anything?
Won't fry anything. Try not to overload the amp input though, since the Feliks probably expects ~2.0V line input. If you feed it a way hotter pre-out it might clip and sound bad, you'll have to experiment.

Since the X16 already has RCA out, any reason you don't just connect those? XLR to H16, RCA to Feliks?

Poganin

Since the X16 already has RCA out, any reason you don't just connect those? XLR to H16, RCA to Feliks?
I'm worried that without an output selector on the X16 it could be somehow detrimental to have the signal output from both the XLR and the RCA at the same time, even if one of the loads is currently switched off. Or is that nothing to worry about?

Veri

Master Contributor

Poganin

Does it really come without a power cable? I find that difficult to believe.

Top Bottom