• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard H16 Review (Headphone Amplifier)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And, one jack chrome plated, one gold flashed, one black, and the other red plastic. :facepalm:

The PCB riser factory caught fire, they cost a fortune right now.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the context of $350.00 the fit 'n finish is not exceptional, but probably what is expected at the price point. One could do worse. No one buys this for looks and/or absolute build quality. For that one must go elsewhere.

That is OK and is in fact a plus. For poor folk like me, or tightwads. One frequently encounters this sort of thing in other areas. A Z51 will give you comparable performance to a GT3, but won't be put together as nicely. When I was younger I'd buy Dyna and save a lot of money. In a couple of years I'd be replacing knobs and switches. But I knew that going in. Either that, or because it was relatively cheap, I'd buy the most recent kit they were selling, and start all over.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
In the context of $350.00 the fit 'n finish is not exceptional, but probably what is expected at the price point. One could do worse. No one buys this for looks and/or absolute build quality. For that one must go elsewhere.

That is OK and is in fact a plus. For poor folk like me, or tightwads. One frequently encounters this sort of thing in other areas. A Z51 will give you comparable performance to a GT3, but won't be put together as nicely. When I was younger I'd buy Dyna and save a lot of money. In a couple of years I'd be replacing knobs and switches. But I knew that going in. Either that, or because it was relatively cheap, I'd buy the most recent kit they were selling, and start all over.
Well I have the H16 and it's solid as a rock.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They have mounted all the different size sockets directly on to the PCB (to save money)
Jacks that are used frequently have to be sturdy. My experience is that jacks soldered to the main PCB is wrongheaded. A likely point of failure. I don't know what this looks like on the inside, so I can't say. Maybe the connections are very solid. I've experienced problems in the past with jacks as part of the mother board. It is a low price point solution.

MrOtto

Are the RCA and XLR switchable inputs? So one could use this as a preamp with a DAC and a turntable.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the RCA and XLR switchable inputs? So one could use this as a preamp with a DAC and a turntable.

It appears so. From the manual:

Input channel selection: The H16 headphone amplifier has a total of 2 input channels. In the main page display state, short press the menu key to cycle through the current input channel between XLR and RCA.

Waterking

Amir what is the crosstalk on this unit, i'm torn between this Gustard H16 and the Topping Pre90

NightlyNurse

Hi. I'm confused on what is the best volume control to use. I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have it setup DAC into Gustard H16(has built in preamp), into speaker amp. have both the DAC and the AMP maxed and am using the Gustard H16 as the volume control. Am I doing it right?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I'm confused on what is the best volume control to use. I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I have it setup DAC into Gustard H16(has built in preamp), into speaker amp. have both the DAC and the AMP maxed and am using the Gustard H16 as the volume control. Am I doing it right?

Which Dac ?
Anyhow, I would do so. Dac in pure Dac mode or Odb connected to the H16 (XLR prefered, if you have) and from there to your speakers and HP.

NightlyNurse

Which Dac ?
Anyhow, I would do so. Dac in pure Dac mode or Odb connected to the H16 (XLR prefered, if you have) and from there to your speakers and HP.
Its the Denafrips Ares II. I have it connected via XLR. Thanks for the help

pimy

Are you satisfied with your Gustard H16 ?
Which headphones do you use ?
Thank you

NightlyNurse

Thank you
I love it. Chose it over the SMSL SP400 and Topping A90. In order I chose the Gustard H16 then the SP400 and the last is the A90.

NightlyNurse

Thank you
Oops. Sorry. Forgot to list the headphones. I use 3. Meze Empyrean as my Daily Driver, HD800s when I play a game on occasion or in the mood for it's clarity, and Meze Noir when I want to lean my head back and relax. Empyrean via XLR balanced, Hd800s via 4.4 balanced, Noir via 2.5 balanced(with XLR adapter(the one that drop makes))

Veri

Master Contributor
Oops. Sorry. Forgot to list the headphones. I use 3. Meze Empyrean as my Daily Driver, HD800s when I play a game on occasion or in the mood for it's clarity, and Meze Noir when I want to lean my head back and relax. Empyrean via XLR balanced, Hd800s via 4.4 balanced, Noir via 2.5 balanced(with XLR adapter(the one that drop makes))
3 headphones 3 balanced connectors. Ha.

Top Bottom