• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From Adam website:

View attachment 97582

It looks much worse than Amir's, but the scale is different.
According to this one, the high shelf of -3dB should start at 1,500 Hz.

Other measurements here: https://www.adam-audio.com/fr/serie-t/t5v/
Agree scale is different but overlaid think in general it looks fine, watch out for animation is added the temperatur difference that was tested and documented for KH 80 sample 3, now IIRC that was a 5º C verse 20-22º C change so a lttle too much here where T5V had its analyze run around 14,5º C but educating and fun enough effect there..

daftcombo_1x3x1_500mS.gif

D

Deleted member 65

Yes (or at least semi-intentional). Stick to the established "house sound".

Seems as my new Adam Artist 5´s conforms a bit to the Adam "house sound" which is also my house sound ... :)

1607270290920.png

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...where T5V had its analyze run around 14,5º C but educating and fun enough effect there.
Thanks for the hint!
I overlooked this in Amir's description and damn it, who uses Fahrenheit for temperature? ;) - Is it a Klingon unit?
Temperature was 58 degrees F (yes, it is getting cold here). Measurement location is at sea level so you compute the pressure.

Thought the problem with the different measuring temperatures was solved by a heater?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thanks for the hint!
I overlooked this in Amir's description and damn it, who uses Fahrenheit for temperature? ;) - Is it a Klingon unit?

Thought the problem with the different measuring temperatures was solved by a heater?
It can get pretty cold in Washington.

laudio

Read thru this thread. A lot of absolutes stated both sides. Like you'll never have good sound unless you equalize. The science crowd is getting every bit as elitist as those who aren't.

Pharos

Science is both a philosophical way of attempting to determine truth, and the recording of the truths arrived at. These should by definition be verifiable by anyone because they are independent of the domain of personal subjective thought and unaffected by it.
A subjective assessment is just that, and may or not be useful, but it does not affect objectively verifiable reality external to the self, and lack of precision in thought processes is a waste of time and represents lack of developmental progress.

I think correlating a measured response with a subjective experience is extremely hard, and takes years of studying and learning to 'calibrate' the self.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Me too.

They are also likely why he's now Moderator Emeritus, and unfortunately it is now the job of someone far less drunk.
Fify

I'd remedy that if i were you , also sitting on the loo while dealing with some of these guys can be quite a cathartic experience! ..

Never before in human history has so much been written , published and left to stand for all time all the while being almost exclusively inane and so obviously serving only ones egotism.

Thats web forums for you , please cut the Moderator some slack , even Jesus failed to solve humanities ills so let's not expect your champion @BDWoody to magically make all these exchanges pleasing to everyone and his dog.

Its not the failing of ASR or any one member, these situations will always happen , passive aggressive grudges will always simmer . Open criticism of management won't solve that , a little more humility from some quarters and a little less of a sense of entitlement would go a long way .

Please keep in mind this is a open space bought to you all at no cost to yourselves and maintained by a very limited staff. It takes a remarkable amount of work to keep the wheels turning, be the one to motivate and encourage not to judge and disparage then you might find a more open ear for your quarrels and you will certainly have a happier forum .

leeroy 85032

Read thru this thread. A lot of absolutes stated both sides. Like you'll never have good sound unless you equalize. The science crowd is getting every bit as elitist as those who aren't.
it's a g.d. hobby.. there are far too many people here who get butthurt about a g.d. hobby.. there's a whole lot more ego on this website than there is thought...

laudio

Seriously, stupid-good parametric equalization is now available as freeware. It's the 21st century, flying cars are just around the corner. Get with the program.

You could shelve that 5k on up with a 50 year old analog equalizer if you wanted to. Don't think that was the point, and I don't saying you have to have equalization in a system to have good sound is valid either.

DanTheMan

FWIW, my 5” ADAM’s are crossed over to the subs at 180Hz to enable them to get LOUD without stress and no, I cannot localize my subs. If these ADAMs had existed then, I probably would have just bought these Even though they may not measure quite as well as mine, they certainly measure well enough for the price. It seems that many of the waveguides in “monitors“ were designed to match the middle of the range’s directivity best and then just used in the other speakers in the series—or at least that’s what I found a decade ago.

dfuller

Major Contributor
...Right, anyway. If anyone knows what's going on with that narrow band distortion spike on the tweeter between 4-5k I'd love to know. It appeared with the T8V as well which would make sense given the same tweeter.

Attachments

• Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker distortion relative measurements.png
    Adam T5V Measurements Studio Monitor Powered Speaker distortion relative measurements.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 150
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't think that was the point, and I don't saying you have to have equalization in a system to have good sound is valid either.
Good sound can be had at all performance levels. Indeed if we lower the standard a ton, then everything is good and we might as well close shop and not review anything.

The purpose of this site is to show the way to best possible performance you can have. On that front, a system without equalization in bass is simply wrong. Here are actual measurements in three different seats of the same speaker from an article I wrote a few years back: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

f635d4_188bcfb726a74e82863af33232e40618~mv2.png

See how below 1000 Hz the frequency response changes wildly due to where you sit? That is because the frequency response is a function of the room, not the speaker.

No way, no how we can fool ourselves with anechoic measurements thinking that is the speaker sound we are getting. Variations can be as high as 25 dB in bass region! Here is a computer simulation of our old theater at Madrona in bass region. Colors indicate loudness:

Here is a simpler version only showing a slice of where listener ears would be (left is one sub, right is three subs):

Look at the wild variations as we simply sweep frequencies!

Unfortunately due to wavelengths involved you cannot fix this problem no matter how much absorption you put in the room. You must, must use equalization. This driven by simply laws of physics that you cannot ignore.

So no this is not negotiable in my book. If you don't have EQ, you have wrong tonality in your room. You have boomy bass. You have detail masked by said boominess. There is nothing dogmatic about this any more than saying here are the measurements for the speaker and pick one with better response.

Does this mean you have to use EQ? Of course not. I enjoy listening to my 3 inch bluetooth speaker when brushing my teeth in the bathroom! But let's not get into a discussion of what is a great speaker to have and in the next breath say: "but many people can't or want EQ." I don't want to hear it.

DanTheMan

Seriously, stupid-good parametric equalization is now available as freeware. It's the 21st century, flying cars are just around the corner. Get with the program.
I’d personally love to know what you (all) have been using on various OS: iOS, Mac, Windows and Android. I’ve searched but haven’t found them.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Unfortunately due to wavelengths involved you cannot fix this problem no matter how much absorption you put in the room.
Modes can often be (mostly) dealt with via tuned resonator traps of various sorts (be they limp mass membrane or helmholtz resonators), and modes are easily the worst offenders for bass problems. That said, yeah, after that EQ is a useful thing, but relying on EQ alone doesn't work because it's a function of the acoustics of the room itself.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Modes can often be (mostly) dealt with via tuned resonator traps of various sorts (be they limp mass membrane or helmholtz resonators), and modes are easily the worst offenders for bass problems.
Tuned resonators are very expensive and difficult to deploy. You may also need a lot of them. I have read stories after stories of people buying these thing and then realizing just a few dBs of correction if that. In sharp contrast EQ costs nothing these days and you can experiment easily to get the desired effects. Tuned resonators are really domain of professional acousticians in custom built rooms. No way would I stick them in my living room.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Tuned resonators are very expensive
Expensive to buy, yes. Incredibly cheap to build if you're even slightly handy. Would I stick them in my living room? No. But I'm never thinking in that context, because frankly in my living room I don't really care that much. It's not work.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Have ordered them. Very interested to see how they compare to my LS50s.

Pharos

Yes equalisation can be very effective, but as Toole stated in a lengthy analysis, it is only really effective in a very limited area in the listening room.

This is entirely consistent with the vast changes occurring due to nodes and antinodes shown in Amir's post. You move slightly and the response changes radically in the bass to mid range.

Top Bottom