• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Alpha brain waves are needed to really hear these small differences in audio. For the experienced listener, given the right conditions, this is not too difficult, but when under control doing A/B/blind testing, the stressed brain is in Beta waves and all-important small differences are very difficult, if not impossible to hear. I certainly wouldn't want to participate in one of your tests. It's a bit like saying "have an orgasm now".
1606159750861.png

Max Townshend

Audio Company
I just don't understand why characteristic impedance is remotely relevant to loudspeaker cabling. Nothing in a loudspeaker system is impedance matched. The output impedance of the amplifier is essentially zero, the load impedance is anything from 2 ohms to 30+ ohms depending on the loudspeaker and the frequency, and the frequency range is so far away from RF where wavelengths become comparable with cable lengths that it's a nonsense.

I'm reminded of the similar nonsense that used to be spouted back in the late 1960s over 600ohm matching, when low output impedance sending and bridging receiving started becoming popular. Yes, for analogue telephony when cables can be kilometers long, even hundreds of kilometers, impedance matching is a Good Thing. Within a studio or home system, it's totally irrelevant.

Yes, speakers go from 2 to 30 ohms, but that is below 500Hz, where it doesn't matter. Isolda cables are Zobel corrected up to 100kHz, 10 ohms.
S.
When I did transmission line theory, we started with DC. see

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I did transmission line theory, we started with DC. see
And somehow ended up with the idea we need to worry about megahertz effects for audio. Can you explain why we care about things above say 50 khz just to pick a point?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He never said exactly what he wanted, or did I miss something.
What? I take whatever cable for which you are making these claims. I like to repeat your tests and verify your results.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Yes, but we are doing a Zoom session at 6 PM GMT Dec 5, with the cables and yes, you can have the Isolda and flat strips after that to repeat the test.
I look forward to your results.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we need to institute a Sir Robin Award for Bravery to be handed out in instances like this.

This ranks right up there with Superdad @ whatsbest saying he would blind audition his usb product only to have him disappear for like a year/year and half....

Oh wait... I think I see a pattern.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Or controlled, but not in an honest way. IMO, more likely.
I think that it's more about 'self fulfilling expectations'. They had this idea about speaker cables acting as 'transmission lines' but they had little knowledge about transmission lines. So they did some ill conceived tests and mis-interpreted them to reinforce their position.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think that it's more about 'self fulfilling expectations'. They had this idea about speaker cables acting as 'transmission lines' but they had little knowledge about transmission lines. So they did some ill conceived tests and mis-interpreted them to reinforce their position.
You could be right but I think there’s a lot of deliberate in there.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You could be right but I think there’s a lot of deliberate in there.
I don’t know. People can have genuine convictions and be wrong, but unable to see that. Mr Townshend seems to be in this category. He comes back to the thread and repeats his points over and over as if speaking to a bunch of kids who don’t understand them. One doesn’t do that when one is knowingly bamboozling people. When reading through the thread, I was almost hoping to see him come back saying that he’d understood his mistake, as he seems to be a nice old chap.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don’t know. People can have genuine convictions and be wrong, but unable to see that. Mr Townshend seems to be in this category. He comes back to the thread and repeats his points over and over as if speaking to a bunch of kids who don’t understand them. One doesn’t do that when one is knowingly bamboozling people. When reading through the thread, I was almost hoping to see him come back saying that he’d understood his mistake, as he seems to be a nice old chap.
Although you could be right, this looks to me to be calculated and deliberate. One tipoff is the continual hiding of test details, not to mention the absolutely ludicrous dishonesty about testing for audibility and why he refuses to do it. This reads exactly like the stuff that fake psychics use as tactics, including the running away from actual tests of their claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom