• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

Helicopter

Major Contributor

Attachments

• 20201026_082406.jpg
    20201026_082406.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 155

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Since this started with Utopias, and I see comments related so some features, I'm going to circle around again. They are floorstanders sitting atop powered subs, the subs have DSP, and they come with pro installation and calibration to your room. They are getting a lot of positive marks here.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They cost $260,000, they better sound better than anything out there lol
I wonder if these are the same drivers as in their pro monitors (they also use the "W" sandwich cone + Beryllium Tweeter)

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Whether it's the Utopia EVO, Magico M9, Wilson Chronosonic, Kharma Veyron, or some other ultra high end product, I have a hard time taking seriously any loudspeaker that costs more than the average house. I lose interest somewhere around the price of a new car.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Also there's no denying their monitors are beautiful
Focal_Trio11_BE-2 (1).jpg

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Whether it's the Utopia EVO, Magico M9, Wilson Chronosonic, Kharma Veyron, or some other ultra high end product, I have a hard time taking seriously any loudspeaker that costs more than the average house. I lose interest somewhere around the price of a new car.
Then why do they exist and why do people pay for them?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For 260k american USD they better have gold wires...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why do they exist and why do people pay for them?
Why do very expensive mechanical watches exist and why do people pay for them?
Exclusivity, collectability, expensive materials, labour and material intensive construction, design, image, status, investment, etc...

Do such watches measure time more precisely than a cheap quartz watch?
Nope...

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's a good comparison but not accurate
Mechanical watches are known to be inferior To quartz watches, you know they when you're buying a Rolex you know that it'll be less accurate than a $10 Casio.
But when you buy $250K speakers you expect them to be the most accurate, best sounding, with the the most amazing bass etc vs cheaper speakers.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But when you buy $250K speakers you expect them to be the most accurate, best sounding, with the the most amazing bass etc vs cheaper speakers.
Only if you belong to the naive audiophool group.

Have you every considered why upmost such $$$$$$ loudspeakers don't provide measurements and if they get measured by Stereophile etc. they almost always measure worse then some much cheaper great studio monitors?

But their real target (new-)rich buyer group doesn't really care, most probably only use them rarely and in the background, they usually have other main interests.

Last edited:

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Rolex isn't what I would consider an ultra high end watch, unless you're talking about a collectible from a famous person. Patek Philippe, Richard Mille, Audemars Piguet, and a few others would be in that conversation.

I don't buy $250K speakers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It doesn't matter if it's a Patek that costs a million dollars it will never match a digital Casio that costs $20

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It doesn't matter if it's a Patek that costs a million dollars it will never match a digital Casio that costs $20
Time-keeping wise, yes. However, you or your heirs might be able to recoup the million dollars sunk in the Patek. Sometimes one can even hope to make a tidy profit. Not so with a Casio. I've never heard of anyone recouping their "investment" in high-end speakers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Even Genelec has limited editions with special colors, though I have no idea about their collector value lol

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Except in longevity. If I want accurate time, I look at my iPhone.

Loudspeakers reproduce sound. That's pretty much all they do.

I feel the same about supercars. The thought of going out on the highway in a half million dollar car and getting peppered by gravel makes me cringe.

Top Bottom