• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SR7015 8K AVR Review

Mr.XO

You could take a look at Amir's review of the x3500h to get an idea of the 2018 Denon line. That model had a good amp, not a great DAC. I am not sure if the 6700 is better because it is newer or because it is higher up the line. I would guess both.

Thanks again!
Looks like the SR7013 has a different DAC than the x3500h, probably the same as on newer x3600h, x4*00h, x6*00h, etc. [AK5538 vs AK4458]
The amp ratings for it is very much the same as x4700h.

Going by the reviews and #s it'd seem that x4500h or x4700h is the sweet spot - price / perf.
But I guess it's hard to go with x4500h (better deals) based on the x4700h reviews in case something's changed btw them internally other than all the well advertised new features.

From the review it seem like the amp ratings for x6700h is not as good as the lower models (?), so looking for other reasons to justify the price jump. Not sure if the architecture is somehow better and has some advantages,
E.g., its says "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio". Does that mean it's much better than the lower end models for stereo listening?

Also, is AL32 processing on Denon similar to HDAM on Marantz?
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization also looks interesting on the newer models, not sure if it's just a hype or has any real meat to it..

Sorry for the many Qs, not sure if this should all go into some other thread...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could take a look at Amir's review of the x3500h to get an idea of the 2018 Denon line. That model had a good amp, not a great DAC. I am not sure if the 6700 is better because it is newer or because it is higher up the line. I would guess both.

Keep in mind that the DAC measurements of the X3500H is very comparable to that of the X4700H at 1.2 V, probably even the same 1.4 V that the 2020 models managed to have SINAD in the 90's.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing your thoughts... that helps a lot!
So, is the X6500H comparable in performance to the newer gen. X6700H reviewed here?
I can do without some of the new feature adds like, 8K, etc.
I'm trying to move up from a 10 yr old Pioneer (VSX-9040THX) which I use for both music (2 ch) & movies (5.1).

I bet it is comparable to the X6700H as the preamp/DAC and power amp sections most likely remained unchanged, just the HDMI and other features specific to the 2020 models.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again!
Looks like the SR7013 has a different DAC than the x3500h, probably the same as on newer x3600h, x4*00h, x6*00h, etc. [AK5538 vs AK4458]
The amp ratings for it is very much the same as x4700h.

Going by the reviews and #s it'd seem that x4500h or x4700h is the sweet spot - price / perf.
But I guess it's hard to go with x4500h (better deals) based on the x4700h reviews in case something's changed btw them internally other than all the well advertised new features.

From the review it seem like the amp ratings for x6700h is not as good as the lower models (?), so looking for other reasons to justify the price jump. Not sure if the architecture is somehow better and has some advantages,
E.g., its says "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio". Does that mean it's much better than the lower end models for stereo listening?

Also, is AL32 processing on Denon similar to HDAM on Marantz?
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization also looks interesting on the newer models, not sure if it's just a hype or has any real meat to it..

The 3500 has the same dac as all Denon and Marantz AVRs, the AK4458, that's why its DAC measurements were also comparable, except it would degrade a little sooner and quicker as its power supply and power amps are weaker, so would clip sooner, thereby affecting the preamp/DAC sooner as you crank the volume up.

I think you got it right, thinking that the X4500H is the sweet in terms of price/perf, if you don't need the 2020 features.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The 3500 has the same dac...

I think you got it right, thinking that the X4500H is the sweet in terms of price/perf, if you don't need the 2020 features.
Thanks. Not sure I was up to the task on this today. I'm watching the baby and working.
Thanks again!..

I think we are fine for a page or so discussing good alternatives to the product at hand within the currently available Sound United AVR lines, comparing and contrasting within this scope. Sort of like mentioning Marantz 22xx receivers in reference to possible inspiration for the house sound. If anyone disagrees, I am happy to move.

Last edited:

Mr.XO

Thank you both!

Some interesting finds on the DACs while I was digging into some of this. These are based on Denon's UK site, details not found on the US site...

For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVC-X4500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458VN D/A converters on all channels.
For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVC-X6500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458VN D/A converters on all channels.

The SR7013 has the very same DAC.

The AVC-X4700H features the latest AKM 32-bit D/A converters allowing for high resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types, including ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit.
The AVC-X6700H features the latest AKM 32-bit D/A converters allowing for high resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types, including ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit.

So... could the latest AKM on the 2020 models be the newer AK4468VN?
But then they don't say it's reference-class and all that anymore as with the previous gen. models. Could have been copy / pasted text which now they have corrected since these reviews are bringing the quality of things to light. :)

For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the Denon AVC-X8500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4490EQ stereo D/A converters for all channels. The total number is eight. Enjoy consistent high-fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience.

So, of course the flagship gets the way better DAC than the others.

Also, it seems like the 6 series is build in Japan (?) just like the 8 series... if that really matters.

So, back to the 2 questions I had (found out Atmos Ht Virtualizations can sound too processed, unnatural, etc.)

1. On the 6 series it says, "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio".
Does that mean it's much better than the lower end models for stereo listening? Or, is it just marketing at work?

2. Is AL32 processing on Denon similar to HDAM on Marantz?
Seems like the former is more of s/w and the latter is in the h/w space. But not so sure...

bigguyca

Thank you both!

Some interesting finds on the DACs while I was digging into some of this. These are based on Denon's UK site, details not found on the US site...

For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVC-X4500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458VN D/A converters on all channels.
For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVC-X6500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458VN D/A converters on all channels.

The SR7013 has the very same DAC.

The AVC-X4700H features the latest AKM 32-bit D/A converters allowing for high resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types, including ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit.
The AVC-X6700H features the latest AKM 32-bit D/A converters allowing for high resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types, including ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit.

So... (1) could the latest AKM on the 2020 models be the newer AK4468VN?
But then they don't say it's reference-class and all that anymore as with the previous gen. models. Could have been copy / pasted text which now they have corrected since these reviews are bringing the quality of things to light. :)

For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the Denon AVC-X8500H features advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4490EQ stereo D/A converters for all channels. The total number is eight. Enjoy consistent high-fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience.

So, of course the flagship gets the way better DAC than the others.

Also, (2) it seems like the 6 series is build in Japan (?) just like the 8 series... if that really matters.

So, back to the 2 questions I had (found out Atmos Ht Virtualizations can sound too processed, unnatural, etc.)

1. On the 6 series it says, "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio".
Does that mean it's much better than the lower end models for stereo listening? Or, is it just marketing at work?

Seems like the former is more of s/w and the latter is in the h/w space. But not so sure...

(1) No

(2) Vietnam hasn't been part of Japan since the fall of the Japanese Empire in 1945.

Note: Most of what you have posted is old news along with a lot of advertising nonsense.

Mr.XO

Thanks.

Yes, suspected that most of it could be just marketing / ad blurb.
But then as consumer what can we go by...?
Of course, other than ask at the risk of sounding stupid / seeming like you been under a rock for ages... :)

The made in Japan was based on a x6500h review in another well known audio forum.

Started looking into the DACs as this final comment bothers me with the conclusion of SR7015 review, as one of the reason to invest in this is the integrated HEOS support with the streaming apps, etc., even though I have read Amazon Music UX is not that great but it does guarantee their Ultra HD.

Distortion is sharply increased and extremely slow DAC filtering causes lots of ultrasonic noise, making any intention of playing "high-res" audio moot.

And, the fact that Marantz agrees with it all, is even more alarming! But then as said, it could be that purposefully done added coloration for their signature house sound, which at this point I'm not sure if it's something I may or may not like.

I sent the measurements you are about to see to Marantz (part of Sound United) and they were kind enough to confirm that they agree with their testing.

I can get the SR7013 & a HEOS 7 speaker for just a bit over a grand (a friend ordered 2 weeks back, hasn't opened the box as he changed his mind and decided to go with some nakamichi shockwafe stuff). So, going to give it a shot.
May be at the 65-75db avg. I listen at I'd never hit any audible difference, even though this review and #s can potentially linger around in my mind uncomfortably, but then yeah return if I don't like it, I guess.

Will be getting the X6500H as well so I can compare both - even though it's a level above, is closer / or same as the SR8012/5 in specs.

Also, this has been a good read and has helped put some of these rating #s in context for me better... these reviews here are really helping otherwise ignorant folks like me make more informed decisions.
A note about ASR review.

Really appreciate everyone's time and help!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So... could the latest AKM on the 2020 models be the newer AK4468VN?

No, Denon's website no longer provides the DAC model probably because the AK4458 is old news. Marantz still do:

https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/shop/avreceivers/sr8015
"Advanced reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458 D/A converters on all channels for optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with the lowest distortion. This ensures consistent high-fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience."

If the $3,199 Marantz SR8015 has the AK4458, you can bet money the Denon AVRs won't get anything better, except the AVR-X8500H (and you know that already).

AL32 processing is just "processing", and has effects only on digital input signals. HDAM is an unity gain buffer that buffers the preamp/dac output and the power amp input, totally different things but both seem to be more marketing ploy than substance, to bias, precondition the users so they may believe the marketing hypes about each brand's "sound signature", when in reality, both brand's should not have their own audibly identifiable sound signature if you look at their audio specs and measurements. The only exception is, under certain conditions, some (not me) may claim that they could hear Marantz frequency response "roll off". Denon's would be practically ruler flat from 20-20 kHz.

1602266898222.png

Mr.XO

Thanks, @peng!

So, that's pretty much the same DAC as in the SR7013 then.
But stuff around it might be better taken care of in the SR8015... just too pricey, though the internals with the toroidal is real eye candy.

As for the roll off, I have already lost some of my HF hearing abilities as a virtue of aging. :)
Also, I guess it's the intentional thing they do to achieve their so called warmer (musical ?) sound.

That being said, I didn't see a similar graph as the above in the SR7015 review.
Have realized the graphs are not so consistent across reviews, but this one is an interesting one... may be I just overlooked it in this review.

So, any thoughts on this...
On the 6 series it says, "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio" -- Does that make it better for stereo listening, or is it just another marketing ploy?
Asking because if it doesn't have any real benefits then I'd get the x4*00h for comparison instead of the x6500h.

Anyways, will be getting the SR7013 tomorrow - already excited about the unboxing & setting up - even knowing it's not so top rated here. But I'd get a sense of what the Marantz warm signature sound is all about, and above all, if I like it or not.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks, @peng!

So, that's pretty much the same DAC as in the SR7013 then.
But stuff around it might be better taken care of in the SR8015... just too pricey, though the internals with the toroidal is real eye candy.

As for the roll off, I have already lost some of my HF hearing abilities as a virtue of aging. :)
Also, I guess it's the intentional thing they do to achieve their so called warmer (musical ?) sound.

That being said, I didn't see a similar graph as the above in the SR7015 review.
Have realized the graphs are not so consistent across reviews, but this one is an interesting one... may be I just overlooked it in this review.

So, any thoughts on this...
On the 6 series it says, "Monolithic amplifier design for reference-class audio" -- Does that make it better for stereo listening, or is it just another marketing ploy?
Asking because if it doesn't have any real benefits then I'd get the x4*00h for comparison instead of the x6500h.

Anyways, will be getting the SR7013 tomorrow - already excited about the unboxing & setting up - even knowing it's not so top rated here. But I'd get a sense of what the Marantz warm signature sound is all about, and above all, if I like it or not.
The SR7013 should be fine, especially since you got a good deal on it. The sound differences between current Denon and Marantz AVRs are not that great, and will be hard for most people to hear at all. Features and price differences are way more important in most use scenarios. Denon models measure better, but I would not be willing to pay a signifigant amount more over Marantz. If you really want the marantz sound you will need something from 1974 or earlier in my opinion. The language about reference class audio is total marketing BS. You can get way better measuring stereo DAC and amplification for a fraction of the price, and this is no better than Denon, and not reference class. It might be hard to hear a difference between any of them level matched through your speakers though, so not sure how important that is to you.

Mr.XO

Thanks @Helicopter!

Looks like the manufacture's site is full of BS stuff - at least most of what really catches your attention - but then they'd say it's working on the ignorant like me... LOL!

Had heard so many good things about Marantz, so assumed their flavor of sound is still intact in AVRs, etc.
On the other hand it's also me trying to get it all in a single box... which probably is a big ask... as companies would want to make monies building & selling dedicated stuff.

If the SR7013 doesn't work out for my stereo listening purposes then I'll start looking into more dedicated equipment for it. So, any help, references, etc., in that direction would be great!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Helicopter!

Looks like the manufacture's site is full of BS stuff - at least most of what really catches your attention - but then they'd say it's working on the ignorant like me... LOL!

Had heard so many good things about Marantz, so assumed their flavor of sound is still intact in AVRs, etc.
On the other hand it's also me trying to get it all in a single box... which probably is a big ask... as companies would want to make monies building & selling dedicated stuff.

If the SR7013 doesn't work out for my stereo listening purposes then I'll start looking into more dedicated equipment for it. So, any help, references, etc., in that direction would be great!

As I mentioned, I have several Marantz, including preamp, power amps, and two prepros to be exact so I do like them and since you seem to be getting a good deal, congrats to you. I would like to make the following points that I think may be worth repeating though because I think you may in fact (actually would bet..) hear what you are expecting to hear for the obvious reasons.:D

1) Claims of those intentionally tuned "sound" is a silly thing. The "tuning team" would have to spend a lot of time doing trial and error, and assemble a large enough number of trained listeners, in order to come the conclusion that their efforts will result in the vast majority of potential buyer/users will prefer that kind of sound. You will be far better off with a device that is accurate, neutral, transparent, so that you can tune it yourself via various way of EQ.

2) Aside from 1), there is no way that Marantz is telling you the whole truth because:
a) For some of us who have seen and compare the schematics and parts list, the X4400H and SR7012 have the same preamp, DAC and processors and their power amps are identical. In direct mode, using analog inputs, there is nothing that Marantz could have done to tune theirs to have that "warm" sound as even the voltages at the test points were identical.

3) Measurements did show they have near identical THD+N, IMD, SNR, DR, FFT, and most importantly, FLAT frequency response 20-20,000 Hz. Denon's did a touch better in most cases, but both appeared to be well below the threshold of audibility.

The only obvious different is the high frequency (pass 10 kHz) drop off, but that's just 1 dB down at 15 kHz. Even on that point, my counter points are:

1) How many of us over the age of 30 - 40 can hear a 1 dB difference pass 15,000 Hz, really?
2) That drop off is due to Marantz choice of a dac slow roll-off (or delayed slow roll-off, we don't know which one for sure) so it absolutely have no effects on analog inputs + direct mode, when dac and dsp are not involved.
3) The dac filter choice would have little effect when playing material at sampling frequency higher than 44.1 kHz
4) Even if the effects of that slightly roll-off is audible to you, if you run Audyssey, the effects would have been nullified right? And remember if you have Audyssey on, sampling frequency would have been converted to 48 kHz before it even hits the DAC.
5) I happen to have the ex Marantz flagship AV8801, that did not have the roll-off DAC reconstruction filter, so FR is flat to 20,000 Hz, how come then people still claim the same "Marantz sound" at the time?

The HDAM claim is even more ridiculous, I can accept that perhaps their discrete buffer stage opamp has some advantages over a IC opamp, but we all know opamps are not used to "change" the sound!! And there are no HDAMs in the slimline, so do they have that "Marantz sound".

So, like Denon's AL32, DDSC, Marantz claims of custom tuning is just not credible!! And if they are, I would never buy their products again because I want my amp to be transparent, faithful to the input signal. I won't let anyone at Marantz to "tune" for me regardless.

Now having said that, I do wish you will like the "sound" and keep the unit. I wish I had bought one (as I mentioned, for backup) when I had the chance to grab one for under US$900 last year.

Martin_320

. . . 3) The dac filter choice would have little effect when playing material at sampling frequency higher than 44.1 kHz . . .

Indeed -- According to AKM's own spec-sheet measurements for their 4458 DAC (with the slow rolloff setting), at a sample rate input of 96kHz its output freq response is flat up to around 35kHz; and at a sample rate of 192kHz the FR stays flat out to about 60kHz.
The other benefit of higher playback sample rates is that the DAC reconstruction hi-freq noise is pushed out of the way, ie. much higher up the spectrum.

Mr.XO

As I mentioned, I have several Marantz, including preamp, power amps, and two prepros to be exact so I do like them and since you seem to be getting a good deal, congrats to you. I would like to make the following points that I think may be worth repeating though because I think you may in fact (actually would bet..) hear what you are expecting to hear for the obvious reasons.:D

1) Claims of those intentionally tuned "sound" is a silly thing. The "tuning team" would have to spend a lot of time doing trial and error, and assemble a large enough number of trained listeners, in order to come the conclusion that their efforts will result in the vast majority of potential buyer/users will prefer that kind of sound. You will be far better off with a device that is accurate, neutral, transparent, so that you can tune it yourself via various way of EQ.

2) Aside from 1), there is no way that Marantz is telling you the whole truth because:
a) For some of us who have seen and compare the schematics and parts list, the X4400H and SR7012 have the same preamp, DAC and processors and their power amps are identical. In direct mode, using analog inputs, there is nothing that Marantz could have done to tune theirs to have that "warm" sound as even the voltages at the test points were identical.

3) Measurements did show they have near identical THD+N, IMD, SNR, DR, FFT, and most importantly, FLAT frequency response 20-20,000 Hz. Denon's did a touch better in most cases, but both appeared to be well below the threshold of audibility.

The only obvious different is the high frequency (pass 10 kHz) drop off, but that's just 1 dB down at 15 kHz. Even on that point, my counter points are:

1) How many of us over the age of 30 - 40 can hear a 1 dB difference pass 15,000 Hz, really?
2) That drop off is due to Marantz choice of a dac slow roll-off (or delayed slow roll-off, we don't know which one for sure) so it absolutely have no effects on analog inputs + direct mode, when dac and dsp are not involved.
3) The dac filter choice would have little effect when playing material at sampling frequency higher than 44.1 kHz
4) Even if the effects of that slightly roll-off is audible to you, if you run Audyssey, the effects would have been nullified right? And remember if you have Audyssey on, sampling frequency would have been converted to 48 kHz before it even hits the DAC.
5) I happen to have the ex Marantz flagship AV8801, that did not have the roll-off DAC reconstruction filter, so FR is flat to 20,000 Hz, how come then people still claim the same "Marantz sound" at the time?

The HDAM claim is even more ridiculous, I can accept that perhaps their discrete buffer stage opamp has some advantages over a IC opamp, but we all know opamps are not used to "change" the sound!! And there are no HDAMs in the slimline, so do they have that "Marantz sound".

So, like Denon's AL32, DDSC, Marantz claims of custom tuning is just not credible!! And if they are, I would never buy their products again because I want my amp to be transparent, faithful to the input signal. I won't let anyone at Marantz to "tune" for me regardless.

Now having said that, I do wish you will like the "sound" and keep the unit. I wish I had bought one (as I mentioned, for backup) when I had the chance to grab one for under US$900 last year.

@peng - Thanks for reiterating all that and helping put things into perspective!

Yes, I definitely won't be able to make out that drop in the HF range, I even think there is some diff in my right vs left ear. :(
It helps knowing that you yourself would've invested in one of these at the right price.

So, got the unit yesterday and hooked it up.
It's one thing to see it in pics and another to see it in person in all its glory - she is a beauty - looks very different than the Pioneer its replacing but weighs a bit less / a bit less deep.

Initial run was good, but then did Audyssey and it lost bass.
After some reading figured it out and made some tweaks (got the phone app as well), so things are now back to how I prefer.
Of course there is still scope for learning more and making further adjustments - there always is. :)
I like it that it has a dedicated 2 ch mode under speaker settings and that it has a manual override so my towers can be used with no sub, XO, etc.
I also like that Audyssey can be turned OFF and old school 9-band GEQ and Tone controls can be used - Pio had this but was bit of a work.

Initial impression of the sound with the same speaker setup is that it's smooth (almost buttery) with some sort of a nice romantic sheen to it.
But the Pio gave you a sense of looking through a very clear lens... Marantz sound is pleasing but also feels a bit muddied at times.
This is with 2ch stereo under the Music mode, Audyssey set to Flat with DEQ at +10, have also tried GEQ and tone controls, the former always seems better over a wide range of volume levels, so left it at that.
May be it needs more run in time to break-in, or I just need to run RoomEQ again, or it's just a getting used to thing.

Tried DVol & DEQ for some late night movie watching yesterday, both are some pretty cool features the Pio didn't have. May be it had the DRange, but a rather not so great one.
Here too the Pio had a bit more sharper bass / punch on the same content.
I will have to add some Atmos Ht. speakers as well to get a real sense of its capabilities - I have some old JBLs sitting around, which I could re-purpose. Any suggestions...?
JBL CS6100BG

It was when I got to watching movies I realized that Pio had 6 REQ memory presets which I couldn't figure out if the Marantz also has.
So, I could have one for projector screen down vs not (music mode), etc. It's a 120" screen going over the TV so it does have an effect on things.
Pio MCACC Presets

I did see something called Smart Select, can that be used?
May be I can run separate REQ for music vs movie modes (screen up vs down) and then send it to the AVR and have it memorized in those 1-4 smart select buttons?
Or, does it only keep one Audyssey setting at a time...?

So much to learn, going to leave it running for some days... which reminds me... the HEOS Amazon HD music integration is nice, wish they made it as good as the Amazon music app itself, except if you use the latter you have to go via BT / AirPlay and so no Ultra HD! We all need to make some noise about this so the integration within the HEOS app is made better - doesn't even show my custom playlist, leave the ability to create one. Not sure if it's lagging behind in features because not many really use Amz music and so no real push...?

Also the Denon HEOS 7 HS2 speaker that came along is nice as well, a bit too bass'y (couple D-class Amps they say), but has tone control, BT and ethernet port. Not sure I'd spend $599/- on it, may be half that, but can't complain when you get it free... :)

Dan1210

Imo the Denons changed with the introduction of the x series, I had an X4000 which sounded significantly different to my Denon 3313, many listening tests between the two with the same speakers, I could not tame the harshness/brightness in the x4000 which at the time I paired with paradigm milleniaone’s.
The Marantz I have now sr6012 sounds like my 3313, ultimately I will be purchasing a 3700h soon so it will be interesting to see if I get the same issues I personally had with the x4000.
Personally I find the Marantz sounds warmer than the newer Denons I’ve tried at least with the speakers mentioned, where that is added I don’t know, Hdam, opamps?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Personally I find the Marantz sounds warmer than the newer Denons I’ve tried at least with the speakers mentioned, where that is added I don’t know, Hdam, opamps?
It is added in marketing. :) There is no evidence of warm sound anywhere.

Top Bottom