• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

Jirams

Interesting for results on speakers, but if the volume isn't consistent any comparison is very difficult, even 1dB can bring about a noticeable increase in dynamics I've found. Also I'm wondering if the use of RCA from the Node 2i and XLR from the Modius is another variable at play too, especially as the Freya+ I believe does 'something' with SE inputs to make it a balanced output for XLR (something to do with differential buffering), the point being that maybe the Freya+ is just inherently better with native XLR not needing to run the signal through this additional stage as it does for RCA input.

As it happens I really fancy a Freya+, purely down to how it looks mind! :)
Newbie here.

I am expecting Node 2i delivery tomorrow.
I have a 2Qute and a Qutest dac.

I'll report back sometime soon on my opinion of the built in and external dacs on offer.

BobPM

posted this on the Modius thread, but thought it might be of interest to node owners. First my system is a Bluesound Node2 as streamer via coax (wireworld cable) to the Modius -> via Mogami XLR to a Schiit Freya + -> via Mogami XLR to Hypex NC400 stereo amp -> via SVS Soundpath Ultra cables to a pair of DIY Zaph L18 speakers. Since the node does not have a good measuring DAC, I started looking for an outboard one to use with the Node. Both the Node and the Freya+ can be remotely operated so I did not want another volume control in the signal path, and I wanted to use XLR connections to the preamp. The Modius' simplicity and XLR outs (and great price) made it the obvious choice.

Listening tests were done by connecting the Node 2's RCA outs to one input on the Freya, the node2 via coax to the Modius and then via XLR to another Freya input, and finally a Pro-ject expression turntable (AT-440mlb/ Pro-ject phonobox) via RCA interconnects to a third Freya input. Next we put Springsteen's Kansas on the turntable and started the same song on Tidal. The Freya was turned so the lights could not be seen from the listening chair, and my brother-in-law and I took turns switching between the modius/node2/turntable. To deal with the volume disparity, the volume was turned to zero right before a switch and then the volume was increased after the switch was made. Not perfect double blind a/b testing, but it seemed to work and randomized any volume disparities.

The turntable was clearly obvious due to the very slight record noise. Between the Modius and Node2, the Modius was easily distinguishable by both of us and was preferred over both the turntable and Node2's internal DAC. The sound was noticeably clearer, seemed more tonally balanced, and had a broader soundstage. The turntable was not bad but seemed to be less properly rendering the music. Maybe it was the phone pre. Overall, we were able to distinguish between the Modius and Node 2 and preferred the sound from the Modius. The turntable was our second choice and the node2's DAC was our least favorite.

The volume and tone controls in the Node were turned off for testing and my general use, but at the request of a poster, I tested them with the coax out and both function when going through the modius via its spdif out.

I am a very happy with the Node/ Modius combination.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On the surface, this looks like a fail on level matching as well as blinding.

BobPM

Thanks so much for your insightful comment. Life is what it is.

birkbott

I just A/B’d my Node 2i using the internal DAC vs my Topping D50s (via optical) and I can’t hear a difference. Are my ears broken?

XeNoNF50

I just A/B’d my Node 2i using the internal DAC vs my Topping D50s (via optical) and I can’t hear a difference. Are my ears broken?
I did the same with the SMSL M200 I have purely for LDAC Bluetooth and I honestly can't tell any difference. I tried once with my Sabaj D5 too, same effect.

tripitz

Forum Donor
So I had a node on order at my local dealer and asked them to hold it for me after I saw the reviews here. Despite not performing well at all in measured tests, it seems like most people are happy with it. I have a friend who is very pleased with the overall package.

I find this site very challenging. Another great example: the Lyngdorf integrated. part 1 - terrible. Part 2 - room correction makes up for it. What to do/get/buy :)

REK2575

You shouldn't hesitate to pick one up out of fear that it sounds bad or substandard. It doesn't. It's an excellent device. (I have 2.)

Amir's test showed that the Node 2i's native DAC will not -- strictly speaking -- give you hi-res audio performance: "Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. "

That said, can you stream with the Node 2i using just its native DAC and still enjoy it? Yes. But, if you want peace of mind, you can spend a little more for an inexpensive, stand-alone DAC like the Topping E30, hook the Node 2i up to it via digital, and stream high-res to your heart's content, and know you're getting transparent playback.

tripitz

Forum Donor
You shouldn't hesitate to pick one up out of fear that it sounds bad or substandard. It doesn't. It's an excellent device. (I have 2.)

Amir's test showed that the Node 2i's native DAC will not -- strictly speaking -- give you hi-res audio performance: "Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. "

That said, can you stream with the Node 2i using just its native DAC and still enjoy it? Yes. But, if you want peace of mind, you can spend a little more for an inexpensive, stand-alone DAC like the Topping E30, hook the Node 2i up to it via digital, and stream high-res to your heart's content, and know you're getting transparent playback.

Thank you for the response. The issue with your solution then goes to the question of why not use a RPI with an isolated USB out as the streamer to a day? I've experimented with a base RPI and cheap power supply direct to my pre-amp and it sounded pretty good too subjectively. I've been seriously looking at the Matrix Element X and Topping dacs in that combo.

REK2575

If you've got the "DIY" know-how to put together your own streaming device, the RPI will certainly be much cheaper than the Node 2i. For me, the appeal of the Node is its ease of setup and use, and its reliability. That comes at a bit of a premium, in terms of cost, but when you consider there are stand-alone DACs out there costing thousands of dollars, the cost of the Node seems pretty reasonable to me.

Braveanthony

Can you get an off-the-shelf-ready-to-use-right-out-of-the-box RPI? Tried to read up all related threads, awfully confusing for my 45 year old brain, and seems like a lot of extra work is required such as building a case and installing an OS?

tripitz

Forum Donor
Can you get an off-the-shelf-ready-to-use-right-out-of-the-box RPI? Tried to read up all related threads, awfully confusing for my 45 year old brain, and seems like a lot of extra work is required such as building a case and installing an OS?

I am looking at the Aloo RPI solutions. They offer turnkey solutions. The only question is which version to get... It's not much cheaper than the Node 2i though, if at all, in some instances.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then it should be as good as any DAC you connect to it.
So if the Node 2i were connected via digital out to a DAC3B and you were streaming Qobuz, you would get the full 24/192? In other words the Node2i is satisfactory for streaming hi res audio if the digital output is used? thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if the Node 2i were connected via digital out to a DAC3B and you were streaming Qobuz, you would get the full 24/192? In other words the Node2i is satisfactory for streaming hi res audio if the digital output is used? thanks
I understand that is the case. But it's a very expensive network bridge. Look at raspberry pi builds for far, far less

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I understand that is the case. But it's a very expensive network bridge. Look at raspberry pi builds for far, far less
thanks, Benchmark made the same suggestion. I've looked into the raspberry pi options but I've no experience with them. An Element i ($1000) could be used rather than the node and DAC3B and save $ that way. However i have a pair of fathoms that could not be used as the Element series does not have a mono out. So my plan was the DAC3B/LA4/AHB and I just needed a streamer. sounded simple at first but if you want hi res output it turns out to be not so simple :eek:
The Yamaha WXC50 claims to produce hi res output and is only $375 or so, but is not a Roon end point and I'd like to get into that as well.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, Benchmark made the same suggestion. I've looked into the raspberry pi options but I've no experience with them. An Element i ($1000) could be used rather than the node and DAC3B and save $ that way. However i have a pair of fathoms that could not be used as the Element series does not have a mono out. So my plan was the DAC3B/LA4/AHB and I just needed a streamer. sounded simple at first but if you want hi res output it turns out to be not so simple :eek:(

Find somewhere selling now out of production chromecast audio. May still be a few knocking around, or ebay if not paying over the odds. Bit perfect optical out

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but what about the ~67dB SINAD when using the coax out? Or is that only when using a Toslink input to the Node?
I'm confused regarding performance of the unit relative to input/outputs. If you use this device for digital streaming from your LAN, and send the digital (coax) out to your DAC, does it support hi res, i.e. does the "support hi res" only apply to the analog output or to both?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused regarding performance of the unit relative to input/outputs. If you use this device for digital streaming from your LAN, and send the digital (coax) out to your DAC, does it support hi res, i.e. does the "support hi res" only apply to the analog output or to both?

I dont have the device to prove it, but my experience of streaming DACs is that it will output the hi-res over the digital coax. I have read that it will not send the full 192 MQA .

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I dont have the device to prove it, but my experience of streaming DACs is that it will output the hi-res over the digital coax. I have read that it will not send the full 192 MQA .
So if true, it would mean that a $180 Audioengine B-FI would produce the same fidelity as a $2700 Auralic Aries G1 if using the digital output (ignoring the MQA aspect). wow. All I can add is that I was using the digital output of a Sonos Port (S2 OS) at a time when I was using Roon and the max output shown by Roon was 24/44, for what that's worth. I'm looking for a non rasberry Pi streamer to connect to a DAC3B and have settled on the WXC-50. Yamaha claims that it "supports" hi res but does not specify the output (dig or analog).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if true, it would mean that a $180 Audioengine B-FI would produce the same fidelity as a $2700 Auralic Aries G1 if using the digital output (ignoring the MQA aspect). wow. All I can add is that I was using the digital output of a Sonos Port (S2 OS) at a time when I was using Roon and the max output shown by Roon was 24/44, for what that's worth. I'm looking for a non rasberry Pi streamer to connect to a DAC3B and have settled on the WXC-50. Yamaha claims that it "supports" hi res but does not specify the output (dig or analog).

I'm assuming you mean up to 192 hi res by the way , Qobuz or similar, not up sampled to 384 or higher.

I've never understood the point of multi thousand pound streamer when you're only going to use digital out.

I think the question about the yamaha might be a suck it and see, but I'd hazard a guess it will output at least up to 192.

Last edited:
Top Bottom