• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node N130 Outputs vs. Internal/External Clock

MKW

Hoping someone knows about the Bluesound Node N130 outputs when using external DAC...
  • COAX S/PDIF output:
    • Allows N130 volume adjustment (variable output)
    • Uses N130's clock - Is there a way to bypass N130 clock and use external DAC's clock?
  • USB output:
    • Does not allow N130 volume control (fixed output) <- Is there a way to use N130 for volume control with USB output?
    • Allows use of external DAC's (presumably superior) clock.
  • Optical Toslink Input:
    • What are the audio specifications (limits) and/or consequences of this input?
    • Does this input allow bypassing the N130 clock?
  • Stereo Combo Input:
  • HDMI Input: N130 adds HDMI input (where 2i did not).

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hoping someone knows about the Bluesound Node N130 outputs when using external DAC...
  • COAX S/PDIF output:
    • Allows N130 volume adjustment (variable output)
    • Uses N130's clock - Is there a way to bypass N130 clock and use external DAC's clock?
  • USB output:
    • Does not allow N130 volume control (fixed output) <- Is there a way to use N130 for volume control with USB output?
    • Allows use of external DAC's (presumably superior) clock.
  • Optical Toslink Input:
  • Stereo Combo Input:
  • HDMI Input: N130 adds HDMI input (where 2i did not).
I'm not sure what the reasons are for some people having difficulties using the N130 volume control when using a USB DAC; I have no such problem. I can control volume via the DAC, via the Node (using the app), and even using my TV remote (I run digital audio out from my TV using HDMI eARC). My DAC is the Topping D30Pro, which is not an MQA DAC, and I don't use Roon.

OP
MKW

MKW

Using the N130 USB output to an external DAC (Denafrips Ares 2), the clock is handed-off to the superior Ares 2 clock, but the N130 volume control doesn't work.
Using the N130 coax output to external DAC, the clock handled by N130 (not handed-off to Ares 2), but the N130 volumes works.
I want to control the volume with N130 and hand-off the clock to Ares 2.

Of the available N130 outputs:
- USB is best
- Coax is 2nd best

Of the available N130 inputs:
- BluOS is best (direct digital stream or NAS)
- Optical not best (typical limits of Optical S/PDIF)
- Stereo is worst (requires ADC by N130)
- HDMI spec's are unknown (to me)

Reactions: Mat
OP
MKW

MKW

@droid2000 - your message is unclear (dirty-deeds arranged by PM only) :cool:
Endeavoring to squeeze the best performance from gear - same as everyone else.
BluOS is an attractive platform. For me, most importantly it plays AmazonMusic, gapless, simultaneous control by various devices (phone, tablet, PC, Alexa), accesses FLAC from the NAS and instantly becomes whole-home audio system with other BluOS devices (in my case those are NAD units with BluOS MDC expansion cards).

TheGeeDawg

Using the N130 USB output to an external DAC (Denafrips Ares 2), the clock is handed-off to the superior Ares 2 clock, but the N130 volume control doesn't work.
Using the N130 coax output to external DAC, the clock handled by N130 (not handed-off to Ares 2), but the N130 volumes works.
I want to control the volume with N130 and hand-off the clock to Ares 2.

Of the available N130 outputs:
- USB is best
- Coax is 2nd best

Of the available N130 inputs:
- BluOS is best (direct digital stream or NAS)
- Optical not best (typical limits of Optical S/PDIF)
- Stereo is worst (requires ADC by N130)
- HDMI spec's are unknown (to me)
If USB is passing clock duties to the external DAC, why is there an audio clock trim setting (enabled by default)? Does this need to be off to ensure external DAC is handling the clock?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If USB is passing clock duties to the external DAC, why is there an audio clock trim setting (enabled by default)? Does this need to be off to ensure external DAC is handling the clock?
Why does it matter?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom