• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I did order the Micca $89 speaker MB42X. Just haven't gotten around to testing it. I wanted to compare it against the Neumi $89/pair speakers. For sure the Micca is smaller. Feels more like a toy, too. Interested to see how it performs.

Ummm.... guys.....

I listened. I got through maybe 7 songs total before I called it quits. They sounded terrible. I tested. I see why.

I need to note that the ones I have are the latest version using 18dB/octave filters. I've read a lot of reviews about these speakers saying they are good. I have read a few more recent ones where people have complained. I can't help but wonder if people who liked it had an earlier version and Micca somehow made things worse with the latest MKIII version.

Oh, and let's not even talk about QC... ;)

Micca MB42X MKIII FR_Linearity.png

Last edited:

JSHamlet234

Paradigm Premier 200B. I've been using various versions of their mini monitors as desktop speakers for decades. I wonder how the current model measures up.

Haint

Thank you. I see that they've measured a lot of Paradigm speakers over the years. The newer models seem to cost more and measure worse, but I suppose that these measurements might not be telling the whole story.

I could be misremembering or confusing brands, but I recall discussions of key figure(s) leaving Paradigm, resulting in the change of priorities you observe. Regardless, the accuracy of that is immaterial, the results are indisputable. There are clearly no universal design standards at the current Paradigm, but rather a variety of colored sound signatures to differentiate their products from themselves and their competitors. Certainly seems they've adopted the Sonus Faber model of an arbitrary "Artistic Sonic Vision" for each model.

posvibes

Ummm.... guys.....

I listened. I got through maybe 7 songs total before I called it quits. They sounded terrible. I tested. I see why.

I need to note that the ones I have are the latest version using 18dB/octave filters. I've read a lot of reviews about these speakers saying they are good. I have read a few more recent ones where people have complained. I can't help but wonder if people who liked it had an earlier version and Micca somehow made things worse with the latest MKIII version.

Oh, and let's not even talk about QC... ;)

View attachment 77675
This is a great easy to read graphic for a relative neophyte like me, not having to glance back and forwards sideways to see the rise and dips from on axis to spl makes tracing the curve visually easy to follow and easier to read.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This is a great easy to read graphic for a relative neophyte like me, not having to glance back and forwards sideways to see the rise and dips from on axis to spl makes tracing the curve visually easy to follow and easier to read.

Sweet! Glad it's useful. I find it useful for the same reasons. ;)

And, I forgot to mention that I completed the review. Here's the discussion thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...b42x-mark-iii-bookshelf-speaker-review.15307/

JSHamlet234

I could be misremembering or confusing brands, but I recall discussions of key figure(s) leaving Paradigm, resulting in the change of priorities you observe. Regardless, the accuracy of that is immaterial, the results are indisputable. There are clearly no universal design standards at the current Paradigm, but rather a variety of colored sound signatures to differentiate their products from themselves and their competitors. Certainly seems they've adopted the Sonus Faber model of an arbitrary "Artistic Sonic Vision" for each model.

Well, that's a shame. They earned their reputation throughout the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s by producing some of the most neutral and natural-sounding speakers that were available at the time.

While we're on the subject of companies that made some of the best budget speakers 20 years ago, I would also love to see a review of the NHT SuperOne 2.1.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
And these break of companies, like Fyne. Is it possible they're that bad to get a heap of so-so reviews or is it something else; are publications more inclined to the old brand-names.

Also, this KF92 sub from KEF makes some crazy claims. It would be nice to call them out on them.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
These Wharfedale EVO 4.2s, they seem to be getting suprisingly huge amount of negative reviews for a company that is in the business of making loudspeaker for so long.

mil

These Wharfedale EVO 4.2s, they seem to be getting suprisingly huge amount of negative reviews for a company that is in the business of making loudspeaker for so long.

Where have you seen the negative reviews? I can only see great/positive reviews and good measurements.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They're not exactly budget speakers, either, IMO.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
They're not exactly budget speakers, either, IMO.
I know, but I've seen that posts in this thread strayed from budget long time ago and these are not without interest or appeal.

Where have you seen the negative reviews? I can only see great/positive reviews and good measurements.
I'd have to dig (and I will), but positive reviews I've seen where you expect them. Like Tharambar YouTube channel.

But if you can direct me to reliable positive reviews, I'd be more than glad to eat my words in this instance. (I don't really want them to come out looking bad, I was kinda rooting for them and I appreciate Wharfedale. I think that mid is quite a fascinating driver. By the look, very similar to some PMC models)

mil

I know, but I've seen that posts in this thread strayed from budget long time ago and these are not without interest or appeal.

I'd have to dig (and I will), but positive reviews I've seen where you expect them. Like Tharambar YouTube channel.

But if you can direct me to reliable positive reviews, I'd be more than glad to eat my words in this instance. (I don't really want them to come out looking bad, I was kinda rooting for them and I appreciate Wharfedale. I think that mid is quite a fascinating driver. By the look, very similar to some PMC models)

Please do find them because I cannot really see anything really negative and believe me I searched a lot because I was going to buy those speakers. Actually I did buy the EVO 4.4 and they are what I expected them to be, i.e. perfect for me.

This is an interesting review but you will need to translate it.

This is the measurements page:

https://www.hifitest.de/test/bildergalerie/lautsprecher_stereo/wharfedale-evo_44_19615/4

The review is here:

https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher_stereo/wharfedale-evo_44_19615

Last edited:

radio3

It would be nice to find good value monitors priced somewhere in between the JBL LSR305Ps and the Genelecs. Something more accessible than the latter but a little more ambitious on performance than the JBLs.

Top Bottom