• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Atlantis089

I have never tried it, but get a
USB powered PC fan, and then connect the USB cable to a phone wall charger. Experiment with having it blow over the top of receiver, or pull the air off the top of your receiver.

Noctua is well known for making quieter, long-lasting fans and I think they have a few models. For example

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-f12-5v-pwm/p/1YF-000T-000M6

I agree with the extraction from above. As for blowing for below, it is more complicated because it will be necessary to raise the amp.
The noctua are very good, just like the Be quiet, designed to be lying down. Only you will need an adapter cable to be able to connect the fan to usb.
I envy you so much... it's almost 100 USD for the sole delivery of AC-infinity to russia which basically doubles the cost for what it really is - a fancy box of fans which I really really want for some reason. and there are no alternatives either. And I already paid for receiver 30% more than it costs. God I hate living so far away it costs double to get something delivered :(

In France, it is also quite complicated to obtain AC Infinity equipment. But recently Amazon again listed the brand's S and T ranges for roughly decent prices. Small fans are more complicated.

Atlantis089

Surely (don’t call me Shirley), there is a cheap, USB powered laptop cooler available?

there are many, but the problem will be to find one that is wide and deep enough to cover the maximum of the amp that will rest on it. This is the real difficulty.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with the extraction from above. As for blowing for below, it is more complicated because it will be necessary to raise the amp.
The noctua are very good, just like the Be quiet, designed to be lying down. Only you will need an adapter cable to be able to connect the fan to usb.

I'm confused by the need to "blowing for below"??? The heat is rising from the amp through the top vents. So to help with the heat dispersion, the goal would be to get that air moving better.

Not sure that blowing air across the bottom would accomplish much of anything, but maybe I'm wrong.

The fan I linked to comes with the USB cable adapter.

SnausPockets

I think maybe it is supposed to say blowing FROM below?

Like fans on a heatsinks they can push or pull.

I have two fans mounted flush under the top vents in my cabinet PULLING the air up from below and out of the case.

It seems as though putting the fans under the AVR and pushing air through it up towards the vents(I am assuming that what was meant) would be less efficient and end up just blowing the heat all over the inside of the cabinet instead of sucking it up and out from a top mounted pull fan.

I think the entire cabinet would be cooler in a pull configuration but is the actual AVR cooler? I don't know.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think maybe it is supposed to say blowing FROM below?

Like fans on a heatsinks they can push or pull.

I have two fans mounted flush under the top vents in my cabinet PULLING the air up from below and out of the case.

It seems as though putting the fans under the AVR and pushing air through it up towards the vents(I am assuming that what was meant) would be less efficient and end up just blowing the heat all over the inside of the cabinet instead of sucking it up and out from a top mounted pull fan.

I think the entire cabinet would be cooler in a pull configuration but is the actual AVR cooler? I don't know.

Too bad there's not better venting over the top of the heatsinks where one could install a Noctua fan exhausting out of the case. Denon could learn a lot from looking at how to create positive case flow design from the PC industry.

Denon_AVC_X4700H_interior_web.jpg

casyjones3

I received the Denon x3700h first week in July. When ever I touched it the heat on top was extreme. So I ordered the AC Infinity Aircom T10. Received it last week. It works extremely well. The receiver is now
IMG_20200804_130446182.jpg
at room temperature. The reason I bought the T10 was I wanted it to blow out from front not top or rear.

bigguyca

I don't think you need an external amp at all based on the above info. If the volume on the onkyo is 55/100 then on the Denon it would be around 55/98, or -25 so you are nowhere near reference level. After you run Audyssey, you may get close to reference level of 85 dB average from you main mic position with volume position near 0 (+/- a few dB), or between 78.5 to 82.5 in the absolute scale.

In your situation, if you listen at reference level then you would need about 140 W with one speaker playing but again, it looks like you are listening to much lower levels. The 3700 will be fine, but I highly recommend you purchase a fan or two and put them on top of the unit, for longivity.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...HSW4VGGW2G4&psc=1&refRID=34B6KFQF0HSW4VGGW2G4

Why do you say average?

Remix93

Can someone please tell me if the denon avrx 3600 would be better in terms of sound over the 4300? What does it come close to.

SnausPockets

Too bad there's not better venting over the top of the heatsinks where one could install a Noctua fan exhausting out of the case. Denon could learn a lot from looking at how to create positive case flow design from the PC industry.

Denon_AVC_X4700H_interior_web.jpg
If your AVR is inside a locked rack style cabinet why couldn't you just take off the shell and run it naked just like your picture? Lots of room for fans there!

I could see that working just fine in my cabinet. All you can see is the front anyway. Lots of airflow.

Vasr

Major Contributor
If your AVR is inside a locked rack style cabinet why couldn't you just take off the shell and run it naked just like your picture? Lots of room for fans there!

I could see that working just fine in my cabinet. All you can see is the front anyway. Lots of airflow.

If air can flow in and out of the rack, so can dust which will settle on all of the components. This is why many PC cases are typically designed for positive air pressure inside with limited intake carefully controlled with a filter.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That would help, but you still need a way to exhaust the air from inside your rack or heat will just build up.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I received the Denon x3700h first week in July. When ever I touched it the heat on top was extreme. So I ordered the AC Infinity Aircom T10. Received it last week. It works extremely well. The receiver is nowView attachment 76627 at room temperature. The reason I bought the T10 was I wanted it to blow out from front not top or rear.

Are all the brand/codec stickers for adding color to the decor or until the 30-day return period or is it the audio equivalent of the plastic covers on the couches? :)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If air can flow in and out of the rack, so can dust which will settle on all of the components. This is why many PC cases are typically designed for positive air pressure inside with limited intake carefully controlled with a filter.

I think if they put intake fans on the back left and right sides with filters, and then even a single 120mm exhaust fan out of the top front, with positive pressure. All other vents removed. That would do it, and you'd probably barely have to run the fans.

Or maybe it just needs liquid cooling :D

Vasr

Major Contributor
I think if they put intake fans on the back left and right sides with filters, and then even a single 120mm exhaust fan out of the top front, with positive pressure. All other vents removed. That would do it, and you'd probably barely have to run the fans.

Or maybe it just needs liquid cooling :D

Yes, you can definitely make the rack itself a positive pressure IF it is tight enough at the seams and door. But typically racks have holes for wires, ventilation, etc at the back or the doors aren't meant to be air tight.

AC Infinity also makes a number of fan assemblies for racks/cabinets. Advantage of these are that the fans can be large and so rotate at much lower speeds and be less noisy than typical equipment cooling fans.

Or liquid cooling with use of ECO mode on the AVR. like drinking diet Coke with a double cheeseburger. :)

Magnusen

If your source is 8 channel and you play 5.1, it will cost you about 2 dB. So not that much of a hit.
Hello!
If I have a 2 channel source? In the receiver, the configuration 7.1 is selected and the input is AUTO. The receiver detects the Stereo sound. In this case, how does the receiver behave in HDMI? Above 1.4 Volts will there be distortion?

rccarguy

Yup my pc cases with fine mesh or stocking type filters don't get dusty, only very light dust layer, with tiny particles I remember my old cases from 90's and they had no filters, so you get big clomps of dust

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Besides the electrical hazard of somebody (most probably kids) sticking the hands inside or something falling/splitting causing a short, does somebody knows if this messes up the ground from the cabinet ??

I was thinking of taking the top of mine (different Avr) and making a custom methacrylate laser cut one to show off the internals :cool:.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He's not wrong that MOST people won't run into this situation in the real world, however since Yamaha is not exhibiting this same downmixing issue, anyone who is running a 5.1 or 3.1 configuration for movies is going to experience a drop in SINAD when the Denon downmixes.

Since you mentioned it, I went back to read the RX-A1080 review again, and noticed that Amir had noted the following:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-yamaha-rx-a1080-avr.9090/

AVR DAC Audio Measurements
I tried to save myself work and not test this but you all wouldn't let me. :) After all, the most common application is HDMI In, speakers out. But let's see how digital input and pre-amp output performs. I started with testing HDMI and took a lot of messing with menus to get the darn thing to output 2 channels and no folding of other channels into Left and Right. Disabling processing, etc. Here is that output with volume level set to 0 dB:

I know it was long time ago so @amirm may not remember, but I hope he could clarify whether he meant (the bold italic part) he did something in that HDMI measurement to avoid downmixing? If he did, then it might still be possible that the D+M downmix bug may apply to Yamaha's as well.

It may be time to have someone send in another Yamaha, hopefully a 2020 model that has pre-outs.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom