• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Okto Research

Thank you for the review!

The filter acronyms are explained in the product manual: FRLP = fast roll-off, linear phase; FRMP = fast roll-off, minimum phase; BW = brickwall etc. :)

The external USB jumper is a necessity, because the standard format Raspberry Pi does not have USB routed to its onboard header. However, it is a plug-and-forget thing and a small price to pay for making it possible to accommodate a standard-format Raspberry Pi.

All the "DAC hats" use I2S, which is limited in capability (no DSD) and require a specific driver for the device (while we wanted to allow users to install streaming software of their choice). The I2S is routed to dac8 Stereo's XMOS microcontroller as well, but it is reserved for future use.

For those interested in what does it take to do such a measurement and what are the limitations of the best audio analyzers out there, I would like to share couple of lines and measurements we have done in-house. The topic has already been touched by @MC_RME.

The APx555 audio analyzer has several voltage ranges which differ in performance. Each of them has its own baseline noise (present independently of the signal provided by the device under test (DUT)). When you increase DUT's voltage to the upper limit of the analyzer range, you defeat that baseline noise, until you get to the point of overloading the specific range where distortion skyrockets. The "sweet spot" for APx555 is at around 5V RMS and 10V RMS. On the other hand, at 4V, it is not possible to measure more than 122dB SINAD, even with a theoretical noiseless and distortionless DUT/DAC. This is shown in the product datasheet:

APx555 ranges.png

The full document is available here: https://www.ap.com/download/apx555-...AkQkL4JvNmsD4Aq2yWtnuzPbvVmcX4KY-BCHOYMkW-4uQ

THD+N on the Y axis is just a negative value of SINAD, or in other words, sum of distortion components and noise. You can see that almost all the time the noise is the dominant component, not distortion, since the lines are flat, even though analyzer's distortion definitely rises a bit towards each range's top end.

How were they able to achieve that when there are no ADC chips available with full-scale distortion even remotely close to -135dB? The analyzer overcomes that by splitting the incoming signal into two paths, of which one measures the voltage value of the DUT's output, while the other suppresses the test tone(s) as much as possible with a sharp rejection filter and amplifies the rest, so it can be stitched together again in software. This method is far superior compared to a direct measurement.

Below are measurements of the dac8 Stereo we have done using APx555B, a slightly upgraded version of the leading-performance analyzer with somewhat reduced distortion:

dashboard.png

SINAD vs level 0.5dB-step ch1.png

We can see where the analyzer switched its range from 2.5V to the more noisy 5V, strongly impacting the measured value. The full-scale voltage of the DAC is slightly over 4V, so we end there. By extrapolating the measurement, we can guess that if the burden of analyzer's noise was lifted, the result would be 125-126dB SINAD.

The pi gives the user a lot of flexibility now, and is likely to keep up with user requirements way more than other proprietary solutions. Is there an internal shot to give an indication if it's likely to support the pi5 etc?
If the Pi5 is going to have the same connector arrangement, then yes. I expect a 4B+ model to come out first, which should definitely be compatible with today's 4B.

They still taking forever with orders and communication though?
We are getting better, answering most e-mails in about 2 working days and cutting down our lead time.

Yes the only thing that matters is the SINAD coming out of the binding posts of the final amp in the system. That result will be identical from the binding posts of the Purifi or Benchmark AHB2 regardless if the $20 Meizu or the Okto DAC was used as a source.

Since I bought my analyzer I prefer to just take the actual measurements. I can measure up to 128 SINAD with my setup.

Not sure why people pay $30k for an APx-555. I can measure SINAD up to 128 up to 24v, and 116 SINAD up to 100v up to from 20hz to 100khz. And I have only $5K into my setup. Lots of suckers out there!
My rig can outperform the APx-555 in every area up to 100khz. Far far beyond the threshold of audibility for $5k.

Your trolling can be easily exposed. There is no commercial audio analyzer with 128dB SINAD capability. You have no idea about a Fourier transform, otherwise you would understand what would it take to measure such SINAD of 100kHz signal. Also, a mere look at the spectrum of the dongle you are promoting tells us it would spoil the performance of amplifiers like Purifi or Benchmark AHB-2. Finally, a well designed USB device should be agnostic to the noise at the USB host side - the dac8 Stereo is.

Very dry sound, i'm tired from that dac, sold it.
How does it sounds is not interest to anyone in this forum. Only measurments!
I doubt you have heard the dac8 Stereo in your life. We are a small company that only sell directly, the first dac8 Stereos were shipped just couple of weeks ago, so we know our customers and I don't think you are one of them.

I did not remember it and I did not read the following comment. In any case, they give an idea. Nor would it cost so much to incorporate images on the page and thus all happier.

Added: [ OLD PICTURES. Production units are different. ]
Why not to delete the misleading post then?

As I have read in the miniDSP SHD Dirac is an integrated part. In Okto Dac8 stereo it is part of Raspberry and how does that work ?
The dac8 Stereo does not integrate Dirac software. There are many software products that run on a computer and can do a room correction for you, like JRiver, Roon, Audiolense or Acourate. This of course applies only to content played from that computer. It is also possible to perform DSP on the Raspberry Pi, for example using BruteFIR with Volumio. Again - it would only apply to the content played by or streamed to the Raspberry Pi.

Have fun and enjoy music everyone,
Pavel from Okto Research

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If I understood you correctly then yes, the APx has different noise levels on different output levels. There is hardware ranging on both input and output which can drive one crazy. For example the studio standard level of +24 dBu will get much worse measurement results as when just measuring +22 dBu. As wonderful and useful the APx is, it runs into limitations with modern high-performance ADC and DAC. The below measurement is noise limited (BW 22 kHz), not THD limited. As always one has to know what one does to make the most of the measurement results.

Addendum: 4 Volt equals +14.3 dBu. So one usually can't measure higher than 121.x dB (122 dB with AES17). DACs exceeding these values will all give the same result. To get better results one must use external attenuators to shift the levels to the peak performance (123.x dB), or use external amplifiers at the input (for specific low level noise measurements).

View attachment 73411
I want to know the noise of inputs and outputs independently.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

The filter acronyms are explained in the product manual: FRLP = fast roll-off, linear phase; FRMP = fast roll-off, minimum phase; BW = brickwall etc. :)

The external USB jumper is a necessity, because the standard format Raspberry Pi does not have USB routed to its onboard header. However, it is a plug-and-forget thing and a small price to pay for making it possible to accommodate a standard-format Raspberry Pi.

All the "DAC hats" use I2S, which is limited in capability (no DSD) and require a specific driver for the device (while we wanted to allow users to install streaming software of their choice). The I2S is routed to dac8 Stereo's XMOS microcontroller as well, but it is reserved for future use.

For those interested in what does it take to do such a measurement and what are the limitations of the best audio analyzers out there, I would like to share couple of lines and measurements we have done in-house. The topic has already been touched by @MC_RME.

The APx555 audio analyzer has several voltage ranges which differ in performance. Each of them has its own baseline noise (present independently of the signal provided by the device under test (DUT)). When you increase DUT's voltage to the upper limit of the analyzer range, you defeat that baseline noise, until you get to the point of overloading the specific range where distortion skyrockets. The "sweet spot" for APx555 is at around 5V RMS and 10V RMS. On the other hand, at 4V, it is not possible to measure more than 122dB SINAD, even with a theoretical noiseless and distortionless DUT/DAC. This is shown in the product datasheet:

View attachment 73404
The full document is available here: https://www.ap.com/download/apx555-...AkQkL4JvNmsD4Aq2yWtnuzPbvVmcX4KY-BCHOYMkW-4uQ

THD+N on the Y axis is just a negative value of SINAD, or in other words, sum of distortion components and noise. You can see that almost all the time the noise is the dominant component, not distortion, since the lines are flat, even though analyzer's distortion definitely rises a bit towards each range's top end.

How were they able to achieve that when there are no ADC chips available with full-scale distortion even remotely close to -135dB? The analyzer overcomes that by splitting the incoming signal into two paths, of which one measures the voltage value of the DUT's output, while the other suppresses the test tone(s) as much as possible with a sharp rejection filter and amplifies the rest, so it can be stitched together again in software. This method is far superior compared to a direct measurement.

Below are measurements of the dac8 Stereo we have done using APx555B, a slightly upgraded version of the leading-performance analyzer with somewhat reduced distortion:

View attachment 73415

View attachment 73416

We can see where the analyzer switched its range from 2.5V to the more noisy 5V, strongly impacting the measured value. The full-scale voltage of the DAC is slightly over 4V, so we end there. By extrapolating the measurement, we can guess that if the burden of analyzer's noise was lifted, the result would be 125-126dB SINAD.

If the Pi5 is going to have the same connector arrangement, then yes. I expect a 4B+ model to come out first, which should definitely be compatible with today's 4B.

We are getting better, answering most e-mails in about 2 working days and cutting down our lead time.

Your trolling can be easily exposed. There is no commercial audio analyzer with 128dB SINAD capability. You have no idea about the Fourier transform, otherwise you would understand what would it take to measure such SINAD of 100kHz signal. Also, a mere look at the spectrum of the dongle you are promoting tells us it would spoil the performance of amplifiers like Purify or Benchmark AHB-2. Finally, a well designed USB device should be agnostic to the noise at the USB host side - the dac8 Stereo is.

I doubt you have heard the dac8 Stereo in your life. We are a small company that only sell directly, the first dac8 Stereos were shipped just couple of weeks ago, so we know our customers and I don't think you are one of them.

The dac8 Stereo does not integrate Dirac software. There are many software products that run on a computer and can do a room correction for you, like JRiver, Roon, Audiolense or Acourate. This of course applies only to content played from that computer. It is also possible to perform DSP on the Raspberry Pi, for example using BruteFIR with Volumio. Again - it would only apply to the content played by or streamed to the Raspberry Pi.

Pavel from Okto Research
To measure true THD+N. You can measure THD no N using stepped level sweep with 2second 10period and 0.1% timing setting. And measure the noise of the DAC by itself. Then calculate the final result.
For even lower noise DAC, noise amplifier can work.

MadMan

That external jumper to connect two internal systems is strange...

It must have been much easier to include a second USB input then an internal I2S bridge from the Pi itself. It's also a more flexible way of doing things - no Pi, and you have a second USB input, and if for some reason Pi layout changes it can still be used (or maybe even another internal streaming board). I can respect the decision, even if the bridge seems awkward.

Qwin

Been lurking for a while, finally plucked up the courage to post something, the level of technical expertise on here can be a bit daunting.
I took a chance and ordered my Okto DAC8 Stereo/Streamer almost 3 weeks ago.
Pavel of Okto Research, told me it would measure better than previous models/prototypes and it did.

I went with 2vrms for the output at full scale. Turns out, SINAD will be down slightly, but this output better suits my set up. I have a Turntable, so need a Pre Amp, the Pre also suits my partly active crossover needs, in terms of multiple balanced and single ended outputs.

I currently use a Topping D90 std with a Pi4B and MoOde. I have to attenuate the Topping (-6dB) using its digital volume control, as full output is 4.1vrms (balanced) and to hot. My Pre volume pot would barely be off its stop at full output, compared with the Turntable source (balanced), which uses much more of the controls range. The Topping/Pi combo sounds very good, I will be interested in how this sound compares with the Okto and its built in Pi, when used with the rest of my set up. It will be a purely subjective comparison of two DAC's that measure very well. My room (not the best shape) and my equipment/speakers, are unique, so YMMV, but I could post my thoughts on the two in a new thread, if anyone would be interested?
Estimate for lead time on the Okto is presently 6 - 8 weeks from payment.

One thing I consider an oversight with the Okto and some other streamers, is the presumption you will always use the unit headless. I sometimes do, but it's also nice to plug the HDMI output from the Pi into my big screen TV and control it with a wireless mouse. The Pi HDMI output is also useful when doing demos at shows or hifi bake offs, away from my home network and no internet access. I can just plug a USB stick of DEMO music in the Pi, use a small, easily transportable monitor, or any TV set on site and work the MoOde application with a mouse. I will be extending the Pi HDMI output from its internal socket, to the rear panel of the Okto, it makes it a much more flexible unit.

nm4711

It is pretty interesting to see, that the distortion spikes in the dashboard (at least the second, third and fourth harmonic) are 5 to 10 dB lower, compared to the DAC8 prototype reviewed in March 2019.
Since the channel paralleling should only lower the noise, the updated layout is quite an upgrade distortion wise.

Qwin

It must have been much easier to include a second USB input then an internal I2S bridge from the Pi itself. It's also a more flexible way of doing things - no Pi, and you have a second USB input, and if for some reason Pi layout changes it can still be used (or maybe even another internal streaming board). I can respect the decision, even if the bridge seems awkward.

I asked Pavel about this a while back and he said the i2s output from the Pi suffered from jitter.
Allo do a re-clocking Hat (Kali) to address this, so there must be an issue.
I'm guessing the asynchronous USB must have been easier to work with.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stunning measured performance. How good does it need to be? Thank you @amirm.

MadMan

I just saw this neato option on the product page:

Custom output voltage
Choose a custom output voltage that matches your amplifier. Available in range from 1 to 12V RMS. Please specify the requested value in your order note. €39 | Add to cart

@Okto Research Does this option only change the maximum output (when DAC is at maximum volume or 'line out' or whatever) so it's still 0V-optioned V, or does it change the bottom of the output range as well ?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@Okto Research, when using the Volumio Roon endpoint, can Roon use the DAC volume control?
This requires the Pi to communicate with the Okto to set the DAC volume.

From the user perspective, the smart device is able to select the title and volume without the remote control.
So basically, is the Pi integrated or is housed in the box and not functionally different than an external Pi?

- Rich

Qwin

I just saw this neato option on the product page:

Custom output voltage
Choose a custom output voltage that matches your amplifier. Available in range from 1 to 12V RMS. Please specify the requested value in your order note. €39 | Add to cart

@Okto Research Does this option only change the maximum output (when DAC is at maximum volume or 'line out' or whatever) so it's still 0V-optioned V, or does it change the bottom of the output range as well ?

I ordered the reduced output (2vrms) as I understand it, this is full scale, so 0dB on the display and the digital attenuation works from that level. Pavel might be along to confirm that.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

View attachment 73404

View attachment 73415

View attachment 73416

Your trolling can be easily exposed. There is no commercial audio analyzer with 128dB SINAD capability. You have no idea about a Fourier transform, otherwise you would understand what would it take to measure such SINAD of 100kHz signal. Also, a mere look at the spectrum of the dongle you are promoting tells us it would spoil the performance of amplifiers like Purifi or Benchmark AHB-2. Finally, a well designed USB device should be agnostic to the noise at the USB host side - the dac8 Stereo is.

Pavel from Okto Research
Absolutely awesome work @Okto Research :)

F1308

Major Contributor
I ordered the reduced output (2vrms) as I understand it, this is full scale, so 0dB on the display and the digital attenuation works from that level. Pavel might be along to confirm that.

I asked Benchmark for help about the voltage and this is the answer I got...

Hello,

If the DAC has a volume control, our amp will accept the higher output version. Our amp will put out its full output with 9.8V input.

If I may ask, what dac are you buying? Did you consider one of the Benchmark DACs which would give you reference quality conversion and mate beautifully with our AHB2.

Feel free to give me a call.

Best regards,

Rory Rall

Sales Mgr.

Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

203 E. Hampton Place, Suite 2

Syracuse, NY 13206

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com

800-262-4675

Fax 315-437-8119

F1308

Major Contributor
So now, what is the standard voltage output provided if not paying anything for a customized output...?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
So I need to ask for 9.8 volts for my AHB2 to reach maximum output...Thank you.
9.8V is 22dBu. I think the AHB2 can accept up to 24dBu or 12.3V. (Both line levels are typical for pro equipment).

Top Bottom