• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700H 2020 AVR Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. I'm old I guess. Past to me means 1980's 1990's. Not just AVR times!

I have a pair of Marantz preamp/power app that were born in around 1980, old enough for you right. They don't have better specs or measurements than the AVR-X3600H or X4700H (can only compare analog inputs obviously).

davidc

Forum Donor
The 4311 is a nice unit, why do you want the latest for, Dolby Atmos with speakers on/in the ceiling?

Ahh...good question. One of the reasons was I wanted more power.

1. The ability to use my tone controls at the same time I'm using Audyssey MultiXT32

2. More reliable HDMI CEC and eARC with my newer LG C9 TV

3. The ability to pass through 4k video

But, I just added more power by hooking up a refurbished Carver PM-1.5a amp for the front two channels. (600W RMS per channel at 4ohms, 20-20kHz, both channels driven @ 0.01% THD)

Fillius

Forum Donor
Not relevant actually, because the PCM5100A chips were for the zone 2/3 and network. For the other digital inputs, it is still a 32 bit AKM chip, mostly likely the same AK4458 used in the 2016 through 2018 models such as the X3600H.
Wouldn't HEOS use the network DAC?

davidc

Forum Donor
Funny you mention Carver. The reason I bought my AVR-X4700H was because it had a pre-amp mode. I planned on using it with my Sunfire Theater Grand TGA-7400 (7x400wpc) amp. I'm a huge Bob Carver fan.

Cool. I've always been a fan of his. Love the "upstart" kind of guy. He's an engineer for engineers...and sound lovers. There is great website, a real "personal" one like this. Lot's of guys who can repair and refurb units as well. https://thecarversite.com

MOD: please delete the URL if not allowed

davidc

Forum Donor
The 4700 is not the only Denon model, but you know that.
The previous model...the 4500 is an option, the 3600 another, and we don't know if the 6700 follows the 4700's path, not until we know all the differences in how the parts are put together and how it measures. The schematics are always a good start for audio engineering point of view, then the measurements, and finally a doze of music listening with ease of setup. Methinks. The features? The ones you can use you personally, not necessarily the features others use. No two AVR owners use their receivers exactly the same with exactly the same components connected and the jacks offered.

* I would love to ask Denon why they are still using composite and component video jacks on their receivers? Is it because they sell more of them?

Regarding going with the 4500 or 3600...so it appears the only main differences in features would be the additonal audio surround codecs and HDMI 2.1 support? Nothing else really significant?

davidc

Forum Donor
Why do you keep responding over and over to someone who got banned a week ago? Move on already.

Because I'm responding to his old posts...duh. I didn't get to the end of the 42 pages before I was responding. That's why (to a guy who joined a whole week ago)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding going with the 4500 or 3600...so it appears the only main differences in features would be the additonal audio surround codecs and HDMI 2.1 support? Nothing else really significant?

The 3600 does not have HDMI 2.1, just 2.0, same as the 4500. Only the 2020 models come with HDMI 2.1

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

1. The ability to use my tone controls at the same time I'm using Audyssey MultiXT32

But, I just added more power by hooking up a refurbished Carver PM-1.5a amp for the front two channels. (600W RMS per channel at 4ohms, 20-20kHz, both channels driven @ 0.01% THD)

If you want more power you are going to have to go with an external power amp. I don't believe any 2020 Denon AVR can offer you more power than the 4311. The X8500H may be the only one that can offer more, but not for sure. Even if it does, it will be negligible, like less than 0.5 dB in terms of spl.

davidc

Forum Donor
If you want more power you are going to have to go with an external power amp. I don't believe any 2020 Denon AVR can offer you more power than the 4311. The X8500H may be the only one that can offer more, but not for sure. Even if it does, it will be negligible, like less than 0.5 dB in terms of spl.

Yes, I ended up realizing that and thats why (in my post as well) I hooked up a vintage Carver PM1.5a. More power than I could ever desire. I figure the 100+ watts per channel left over for the center and two surrounds I use will be enough.

davidc

Forum Donor
8K video?? Not for me though as I got stung by the 1st gen 4K so I would definitely avoid 1st gen 8K, won't touch it for at least a couple years.:D

Considering cost and available content, I won't be upgrading to 8k for years. We barely have any 4k content now! I just got a 4k TV 6 months ago.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Power wise the 4311 (38 pounds) has probably more than the new 4700.
Power consumption: 780 W (indicative of the power transformer...Variac).
And you are using a powerful external stereo amp anyway.

1. Tone controls are the devil's tools IMHO
2. HDMI CEC also from the devil. eArc is for TV speaker sound? Nice TV (same here).
3. Best is direct 4K from the 4K Blu-ray player to the TV and the 2nd HDMI audio out to your receiver.

Others: X4500H and X6500H
* 3600 (6700 after measured review perhaps).
Money? Stimulus cheque or Black Friday for those last year (2018-19) Denon models.

Last edited:

davidc

Forum Donor
Considering cost and available content, I won't be upgrading to 8k for years. We barely have any 4k content now!
Power wise the 4311 (38 pounds) has probably more than the new 4700.
And you are using an external stereo amp.

1. Tone controls are the devil's tools IMHO
2. HDMI CEC also from the devil. eArc is for TV speaker sound? Nice TV (same here).
3. Best is direct 4K from the 4K Blu-ray player to the TV and the 2nd HDMI audio out to your receiver.

Others: X4500H and X6500H
* 3600 (6700 after measured review perhaps).
Money? Stimulus cheque or Black Friday for those last year (2018-19) Denon models.

1. Tone controls: I just want a little more bass...please

2. HDMI CEC: I just want (or my wife just wants) all the components to turn on with one button push.
eARC: I just want the TV and the AVR to f-ing sync up with the same audio and video correlated ALL the time. And, we usually use the apps on the TV for streaming movies, rather than dongles on the AVR.

Yes, it's an awesome TV. I can't believe the picture.

A.West

Forum Donor
8K video?? Not for me though as I got stung by the 1st gen 4K so I would definitely avoid 1st gen 8K, won't touch it for at least a couple years.:D
Agreed. It's impossible to "future proof" AVRs because standards seem to constantly evolve. There isn't yet even that much 4k content yet, and nearly no displays of the size to need 8k. By the time you have an 8k display device and material for it, this AVR will probably be outdated on some other front. Buy a device that can handle the next devices you will use it with, such as a 4k uhd display, maybe the PS5 or next gen Xbox (4k uhd, but I doubt 4k 120hz), streaming, decent audio calibration, and non-broken SINAD. Basics like stable hdmi connection and switching are important too.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Are you sure sure? :) For example I was really close to push the buy button on x4700 before the review came up. Really close to being a (modern) idiot won't you say?

Also the ancient greeks will 100% disagree with you because they had tens of thousands of idiots. Most people will probably be surprised to find out that the original greek word Idiot meant ~selfish. A very democratic word that one.

Wise guys wait for several professional reviews before buying a product, and even better from Amir, and from customers with experience...bunch of us here.

It doesn't mean others are idiots, to the contrary; it means they are first time adopters to let know the rest of us. Without them we would be flying blind ...

Selfishness is a disease, a virus, and the vaccine is @ the bottom of the ocean ... :D
Greed is a calamity, a disaster. Shopping for the best deals is smart, unless money grows in your backyard's trees. ...All that jazz.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The 3600 does not have HDMI 2.1, just 2.0, same as the 4500. Only the 2020 models come with HDMI 2.1

And by the time we really need those ... 3-5 years will gun buy. ;)
By then Denon will have the X5200H receiver...with 16K passthru.

8K can wait til a new 8K BR player. Sony should be the one...PS5.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
1. Tone controls: I just want a little more bass...please

2. HDMI CEC: I just want (or my wife just wants) all the components to turn on with one button push.
eARC: I just want the TV and the AVR to f-ing sync up with the same audio and video correlated ALL the time. And, we usually use the apps on the TV for streaming movies, rather than dongles on the AVR.

Yes, it's an awesome TV. I can't believe the picture.

1. Turn the LFE channel volume up.
2. Get a programmable Harmony remote.
* I'm not an App person, I'm an Apt person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom