• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[No Politics] What you need to know about CoVID-19 by SARS-CoV-2 [No Politics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Considering Floria deaths doubled in just the past 26 days, I wouldn’t be surprised at all. It might even quadruple.
Florida deaths are currently in linear growth, so doubling time is probably longer than 26 days.

Tubaman

The following is some material that I have become aware of that may be of use, although it is a bit of a non-sequitar regarding what's going on in Fl:

Vitamin D deficiency as a risk factor for COVID-19 mortality

Scientists seem to understand that Vitamin D is important for immune system function and modulation. And, there is growing evidence that this vitamin, or rather the lack of it, is playing a role in the COVID-19 pandemic.

A recent retrospective study in pre-print (i.e. not yet peer reviewed) looked at the medical records of two cohorts of COVID-19 patients. One cohort consisted of 380 persons who died, and the other consisted of 400 persons who survived.

Of those who died, 96% had sub-normal blood levels of vitamin D.
Of those who survived, 93% had normal levels of vitamin D.

A video presentation provided by a British analyst, Ivor Cummins, reviews the above paper, and can be accessed via Youtube by doing a search for "Cummins, EP73" (the review starts at 2 minutes and 30 seconds). This video is episode 73 in a series narrated by Cummins, an engineer by training, but who more recently has focused his talents on providing easily comprehended summaries of topics from the medical literature.

The article itself, "Patterns of COVID-19 Mortality and Vitamin D: An Indonesian Study" by Prabowo Raharusuna, can be accessed via a download available at:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561

In his analysis, Cummins is careful to explain that, although the above paper raises the question of whether vitamin D supplementation might help to prevent COVID-19 mortality, it is not definitive - a controlled randomized trial will be necessary to answer this question.

A review of the literature that is relevant to this question is available in a second paper:
"Evidence that Vitamin D Supplementation Could Reduce Risk of Influenza and COVID-19 Infections and Deaths" by William B. Grant et al. (Go to pubmed.gov and do a search for "COVID-19, vitamin D). One of the interesting statements made in this paper is that all of the known risk factors for COVID-19 mortality (e.g. advanced age, obesity, being male, being African American, etc.) are associated with vitamin D deficiency.

While the above paper provides advice for dosing of vitamin D, anyone contemplating taking vitamin D supplements should first consult with a medical professional, since vitamin D can be toxic, and certain individuals are genetically prone to vitamin D toxicity. To be clear, the information provided here is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition or disease. It is for informational purposes only.

MarcT

Forum Donor
The following is some material that I have become aware of that may be of use, although it is a bit of a non-sequitar regarding what's going on in Fl:

Scientists seem to understand that Vitamin D is important for immune system function and modulation. And, there is growing evidence that this vitamin, or rather the lack of it, is playing a role in the COVID-19 pandemic.

A recent retrospective study in pre-print (i.e. not yet peer reviewed) looked at the medical records of two cohorts of COVID-19 patients. One cohort consisted of 380 persons who died, and the other consisted of 400 persons who survived.

Of those who died, 96% had sub-normal blood levels of vitamin D.
Of those who survived, 93% had normal levels of vitamin D.

A video presentation provided by a British analyst, Ivor Cummins, reviews the above paper, and can be accessed via Youtube by doing a search for "Cummins, EP73" (the review starts at 2 minutes and 30 seconds). This video is episode 73 in a series narrated by Cummins, an engineer by training, but who more recently has focused his talents on providing easily comprehended summaries of topics from the medical literature.

The article itself, "Patterns of COVID-19 Mortality and Vitamin D: An Indonesian Study" by Prabowo Raharusuna, can be accessed via a download available at:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561

In his analysis, Cummins is careful to explain that, although the above paper raises the question of whether vitamin D supplementation might help to prevent COVID-19 mortality, it is not definitive - a controlled randomized trial will be necessary to answer this question.

A review of the literature that is relevant to this question is available in a second paper:
"Evidence that Vitamin D Supplementation Could Reduce Risk of Influenza and COVID-19 Infections and Deaths" by William B. Grant et al. (Go to pubmed.gov and do a search for "COVID-19, vitamin D). One of the interesting statements made in this paper is that all of the known risk factors for COVID-19 mortality (e.g. advanced age, obesity, being male, being African American, etc.) are associated with vitamin D deficiency.

While the above paper provides advice for dosing of vitamin D, anyone contemplating taking vitamin D supplements should first consult with a medical professional, since vitamin D can be toxic, and certain individuals are genetically prone to vitamin D toxicity. To be clear, the information provided here is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition or disease. It is for informational purposes only.
I'm not sure how you would or could do such a prospective trial. Perhaps a retrospective meta analysis could be done. I mean, if a prospective subject is found to be Vitamin D deficient, shouldn't such person start Vitamin D supplementation immediately, as a matter of course? Suboptimal Vitamin D levels are associated with poor health outcomes, regardless of whether one contracts covid-19 or not. Is this not correct?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Florida deaths are currently in linear growth, so doubling time is probably longer than 26 days.
Sure, though they did double in the past 26 days. Yesterday 48 died and I agree, the daily rate has been plateaued for several weeks. So that’s doubling in about 50 days, not 219 (end of year) To quadruple by the end of the year it can average only 10 per day. With no second wave in the early Winter. Sad but I’d take that bet.

Zog

Ok folks, there is too much information here now.

Let's say I've been in a coma since February. What's the current situation with the virus, and what actions do I take? Is it ok to go outside and go to my friend's dinner party? Should I go to Home Depot and buy some N95 masks for protection? Should I go buy some pills? What kinds?

Can I get a nice short summary of what's going on and what I should do? Thanks, all.
1. Do not take medical advice from politicians
2. Do the social distancing thing. You may avoid the disease but delaying the disease is good too. Would you rather be infected before or after a vaccine / effective treatment is understood?
3. Do all you can to boost your immune system. Get to a healthy weight, walk (not run) for an hour a day, avoid all sugar, do not eat grains, never get drunk (thereby attacking your liver), ensure your diet: includes a balance of salts (esp magnesium and potassium), includes essential (medically essential means stuff your body cannot make) fatty acids and amino acids, includes the full range of vitamins and minerals. Do whatever needs to be done to ensure you sleep well. Do the best you can to avoid stress.

Be very careful with supplements. It is easy to underdose - the bioavailabilty of these things is all over the place. It is easy to overdose. The harm in overdosing is often minimal in itself, but it can upset a balance. It is easy to be misled. The classic example of the latter is 'Vitamin C' It is almost impossible to overdose but you may see a label that says 'Ascorbic Acid - Vitamin C'. In reality Vitamin C is a complex of a number of things of which Ascorbic Acid is but one. That supplement is either useless or less than useless. Natural sources of Vitamin C are plentiful.

As for supplements (pills if you like) you really want expert medical advice. This is almost impossible. Dieticians typically follow the SAD which is an abortion. My two cents worth is that some species of a low carbohydrate diet is best. I am taking only the following supplements: Co-enzymeQ10 (in the form of Ubiquinol), N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Magnesium. There are a few other odds and sods but they are really just natural products. Cod liver oil (on a day I do not eat fish), Garlic (on a day I do not use garlic cloves), occasionally turmeric, occasionally oregano oil.

MarcT

Forum Donor
1. Do not take medical advice from politicians
2. Do the social distancing thing. You may avoid the disease but delaying the disease is good too. Would you rather be infected before or after a vaccine / effective treatment is understood?
3. Do all you can to boost your immune system. Get to a healthy weight, walk (not run) for an hour a day, avoid all sugar, do not eat grains, never get drunk (thereby attacking your liver), ensure your diet: includes a balance of salts (esp magnesium and potassium), includes essential (medically essential means stuff your body cannot make) fatty acids and amino acids, includes the full range of vitamins and minerals. Do whatever needs to be done to ensure you sleep well. Do the best you can to avoid stress.

Be very careful with supplements. It is easy to underdose - the bioavailabilty of these things is all over the place. It is easy to overdose. The harm in overdosing is often minimal in itself, but it can upset a balance. It is easy to be misled. The classic example of the latter is 'Vitamin C' It is almost impossible to overdose but you may see a label that says 'Ascorbic Acid - Vitamin C'. In reality Vitamin C is a complex of a number of things of which Ascorbic Acid is but one. That supplement is either useless or less than useless. Natural sources of Vitamin C are plentiful.

As for supplements (pills if you like) you really want expert medical advice. This is almost impossible. Dieticians typically follow the SAD which is an abortion. My two cents worth is that some species of a low carbohydrate diet is best. I am taking only the following supplements: Co-enzymeQ10 (in the form of Ubiquinol), N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Magnesium. There are a few other odds and sods but they are really just natural products. Cod liver oil (on a day I do not eat fish), Garlic (on a day I do not use garlic cloves), occasionally turmeric, occasionally oregano oil.
From my experience, it seems most PCPs don't know much about supplements. I'm also taking Co Q10, although only occasionally, magnesium, turmeric, zinc, cod liver oil occasionally, Vitamin D3(enough to reach optimal levels). I also take krill oil. I don't know if all this will help me if/when I contract covid-19, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. It does seem like I get sick noticeably less often than before I started the Vitamin D3.

Last edited:

Zog

I am sure this is correct. To be pedantic for a moment Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin. Think Dolphin is a fish. Not a biggie. We treat that compound as a vitamin. (Incidentally this was confirmed by Ivor).

In practical terms (1) a Vitamin D deficiency is common; and (2) relatively easy to overcome. It can be overcome by getting good sunlight. The mechanism is that cholesterol in the skin reacts with sunlight. A little bit of care is needed, just common sense really, just do not go and get sunburnt!

The other method is by eating fish. My routine is that any day I do not eat fish I take a teaspoon of cod liver oil.

As an aside cod liver oil is vile to the taste! This is overcome in a number of ways. 1. By taking it in capsule form (expensive). 2. It can be bought with added lemon juice (my preference). 3. Have some strong flavor to follow it (for example Apple Cider Vinegar or kimchi).

Zog

From my experience, it seems most PCPs don't know much about supplements. I'm also taking Co Q10, although only occasionally, magnesium, turmeric, zinc, cod liver oil occasionally, Vitamin D3(enough to reach optimal levels). I also take krill oil. I don't know if all this will help me if/when I contract covid-19, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. It does seem like get sick noticeably less often than before I started it.
Zinc is über important. It is zinc that prevents the replication of RNA by the covid virus. I do have it in my drawer but a diet that includes seafood and red meats should have sufficient zinc.

Important: choloroquine and hydroxychoquine are irrelevant without zinc. Unfortunately zinc does not have the virus' ability to get into the cells. This is where choloroquine and hydroxychoquine come into play. They work to help the zinc get into the cells. Not an auto cure as the side effects have to be monitored. The third and natural assistant to get zinc into the cells is quercetin. This is a flavonoid in common foods (google is your friend).

I like your krill oil. I have cod liver oil and a generic fish oil, but krill should be added to the mix.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Doctors actually know an awful lot about "supplements." Much more than you do.

They just may not be telling you what you want to hear about them...
No, not in my experience. They have a general idea about them, but I've found that they know little about the various forms that many supplements come in. Often, different forms of a given supplement will work best for different individuals. Most doctors don't spend any time at all educating themselves about that. Take magnesuim, for example. Here is a page that lists all the forms available, and gives some recommendation about which form might be best for certain individuals. Even if you don't agree with their recommendations, it does show how many forms are available.

http://www.naturalhealingmagazine.com/the-best-and-worst-forms-of-magnesium-to-take-as-a-supplement/

Also, I just saw my internist last week for my six month follow up appt. He does not appear to be following this covid-19 situation very closely at all, as he was not aware of some of the trials that I am aware of, thanks to this site. I asked what my level of access to remdesivir or HCQ would be here in my town, and he did not seem to have a grasp of it. To be fair, I don't think he has had any covid-19 patients and says he has a hospitalist who takes care of his hospitalized patients.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Zinc is über important. It is zinc that prevents the replication of RNA by the covid virus. I do have it in my drawer but a diet that includes seafood and red meats should have sufficient zinc.

Important: choloroquine and hydroxychoquine are irrelevant without zinc. Unfortunately zinc does not have the virus' ability to get into the cells. This is where choloroquine and hydroxychoquine come into play. They work to help the zinc get into the cells. Not an auto cure as the side effects have to be monitored. The third and natural assistant to get zinc into the cells is quercetin. This is a flavonoid in common foods (google is your friend).

I like your krill oil. I have cod liver oil and a generic fish oil, but krill should be added to the mix.
Lol, I've also been taking quercetin.

maty

Major Contributor
[Spanish] https://elpais.com/especiales/2020/coronavirus-covid-19/fases-desescalada/riesgo-de-rebrotes/

The regrowth risk map in Spain: check the situation of your province

covid-19-Spain-riesgo-rebrote-provincial-22052020.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom