• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

chaotic_angel

subbing this thread, glad I found pages 57 - 59 topics, warned me not to buy M500 unless there is clear info from manufacturer

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
If you buy this year, not need to upgrade anymore. All is the newest version. Don't use unofficial upgrade firmware.

The firmware can only be upgraded once, so it is not recommended for users who have not encountered problems to upgrade.

And the USB version upgrade succeeded will not appear on the machine, only change on the computer.so No need to doubt yourself.
QQ图片20200514144741.jpg

If you have upgraded and found a problem, please contact the seller and return it for repair.

Galaxian

You could offer to send a new unit upon receipt of the purchase invoice with a package to send the defective one back. I don't want to send my unit half way around the world and be without music for months.

Galaxian

If you buy this year, not need to upgrade anymore. All is the newest version. Don't use unofficial upgrade firmware.

The firmware can only be upgraded once, so it is not recommended for users who have not encountered problems to upgrade.

And the USB version upgrade succeeded will not appear on the machine, only change on the computer.so No need to doubt yourself.
View attachment 63333

If you have upgraded and found a problem, please contact the seller and return it for repair.
I'm not doubting - mine is stuck on 1.05:

1589459135010.png

Please provide the tools to upgrade.

Toku

Major Contributor
SMSL needs to explain why such a situation occurred and its cause.

olavrb

Massive design flaw right there. Is it documented in any user guides?

Edit: Nope, not mentioned anywhere on the product page or the user manual.

Last edited:

Galaxian

Massive design flaw right there. Is it documented in any user guides?

Edit: Nope, not mentioned anywhere on the product page or the user manual.
It appears there will never be an update again then - "If you buy this year, not need to upgrade anymore. " "The firmware can only be upgraded once". They've issued 1.07, 1.08 and 2.01, broken 32-bit and are not offering any practical solution.

Dexter_prog

Hey guys. I just got my m500. I'm trying some MQA albums on Tidal, checked exclusive mode and tried both bypassing and not bypassing software MQA but the SMLS displays bitrate as 96 kHz. Shouldn't it be 384 kHz?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys. I just got my m500. I'm trying some MQA albums on Tidal, checked exclusive mode and tried both bypassing and not bypassing software MQA but the SMLS displays bitrate as 96 kHz. Shouldn't it be 384 kHz?

Depends on the MQA file that you have. Some MQA files are just 24/44.1 KHz without any upsampling involved

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
@SMSL-Mandy, I bought my DAC in England through Amazon.uk and now I am in Chile, South America. Could I send it directly to SMSL instead of sending it to England? The shipping cost will be paid by SMSL ??

Connect with the seller. Because we have so many distributors. We can't see all the order number by ourself.

Thanks for understanding. You can discuss it with the seller.

Galaxian

Connect with the seller. Because we have so many distributors. We can't see all the order number by ourself.

Thanks for understanding. You can discuss it with the seller.
There will be an audit trail and the purchaser can give you the sales invoice, which you can verify with Amazon and then you can send a replacement and ask the purchaser to return the defective unit (whatever defective means).

Dexter_prog

I've been reading the last pages but couldn't quite understand what's happening. For those with older versions, when you tried updating to 2.01, for some reason it rolled back to 1.05 and it won't let you update to 1.08? Other than this, are those units now failing somehow?

SwampyDude

I've been reading the last pages but couldn't quite understand what's happening. For those with older versions, when you tried updating to 2.01, for some reason it rolled back to 1.05 and it won't let you update to 1.08? Other than this, are those units now failing somehow?
stuck in 24 bit unable to select 32 bit bought a 32 bit dac expect a 32 bit dac return to supplier unacceptable and impossible for some customers

pacman

This is unaceptable.

Sabaj sent the tool for firmware upgrade for free for customers of D5 when this kind of problem occurred last year.

Why SMSL can't do the same thing?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal mqa maxes out at 192, most is 96. Its probably reporting correctly with that set up. I'll find a 192, hold on

Top Bottom