• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a measurement mic? If yes, please post measurements of your speakers when able. I'm interested in checking out the bass response. Measurements in this review show very anemic bass which seems counter-intiutive given the large speaker size.
It would be an interesting follow up with your in room measurements. The bass discrepancy with the stated specs is a head scratcher for sure.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sure but I’ve only done a few speaker measurements so far for in-room response. How does one go about measuring up close? Vertical placement and exactly what distance from the drivers?
Point the mic at the center of the woofers - as close as you are comfortable with - max 1 inch.
For the port, just stick the mic in the business end a couple inches.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just realized I have never measured my Salon2's without bass management engaged. My SDP-75 looks to put them -3 dB around 30 Hz or so in my room but I have a couple of big nulls (room induced) around 30 and 60 Hz so that is interpolating and extrapolating the curves. IOW hard to say for sure...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FrigidFreeAmericanwarmblood-max-1mb.gif
Sooner, he's out, the better.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the klippel bass measurements be trusted? Seems a lot of floorstanders are measuring poorly sub 100hz
Amir has tweaked it a bit to be more accurate, but it likely isn’t 100%.
He states he measured it in-room, and it better follows his measurements than Harman’s.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised subs give a big speaker like the F208 such a large boost in it's preference rating. As for the R3 vs F208 discussion, in addition to costing $3000 less, the R3's are easier to move around. It might not seem like much until you try to move a big heavy speaker. I suspect the F208's can reach higher maximum SPL's courtesy of the two 8" drivers. That does not show up in the preference numbers and it's important if your listening space is large.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one measure I don't see here is the one NRC of Canada does called "deviation from linearity." It measures the difference of FR in db when the device under test is playing at 70 and 90 db respectively. I think this test is a useful proxy for the dynamic range of the speaker. It could also be expanded to see what the deviation from linearity is when the speaker is playing at, say 80 and 100 db.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The F208 are $5,000 MSRP speakers, which means that are actually $3500ish speakers from a good dealer. And I'm willing to bet they extend well below 30 Hz easily in room(not that it really matters since they should be crossed to subs, of course).

Revel F36 in room:
LF36 FULL RANGE AUDYSSEY.jpg

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one measure I don't see here is the one NRC of Canada does called "deviation from linearity." It measures the difference of FR in db when the device under test is playing at 70 and 90 db respectively. I think this test is a useful proxy for the dynamic range of the speaker. It could also be expanded to see what the deviation from linearity is when the speaker is playing at, say 80 and 100 db.
I suggested this a while back, but the consensus was that in most cases it barely shows any difference, maybe 1-2dB. Also, it can’t be automated (maybe it can be, but it’s an expensive add-on), so it’ll require Amir to dial in those SPLs and run the Klippel, and a full multi-hour sweep and not just on-axis, as it needs all that data to accurately make measurements.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The R3 cost less than half
Yes, and also is harder to drive (lower sensitivity) and can produce far less maximum SPL. Its not just about frequency response. You have to compare the R3 to the M105 and M106. In a big room the F208 will outperform the R3 with ease. I've got M106's myself and the R3's were also on my shortlist, but I could get the M106 for 400 euro's less (1200 vs 1600 for a pair) so I just went with the Revel option.

I'm surprised subs give a big speaker like the F208 such a large boost in it's preference rating. As for the R3 vs F208 discussion, in addition to costing $3000 less, the R3's are easier to move around. It might not seem like much until you try to move a big heavy speaker. I suspect the F208's can reach higher maximum SPL's courtesy of the two 8" drivers. That does not show up in the preference numbers and it's important if your listening space is large.
Monitor speakers also require more power for the same listening levels, so you run into 2 issues in a large room.

typericey

Happy to see them finally reviewed here. I got to briefly audition them at a local dealer on a noisy room with entry level electronics, but I still loved what I heard. Without subjectively waxing poetic, I loved their scale, clean mids and neutral sound.

Given that I have a growing child, and finite resources, I have this in my (very) short list of grail/end game speakers.

Thanks for the review, Amir.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Sometimes I have music running while I'm working behind my desk and I'm at like an 85 degree angle from my M106's and its not even as bad as you would expect. Stereo imaging is gone naturally, but tonally its fine for some background music. Better than all the speakers I had prior to these.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
looking good. any thoughts on the difference between f208 and f206? I really liked the f206 when I demo'd couple months ago.
If Amir's bass results are accurate, you'll get far better value from F206 + subs for the same money.

Top Bottom