• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, hats off to you @amirm - this is a big & heavy speaker you've managed to measure like no one else. Thank you.

$5000 for the pair is surprisingly low given some of the big names in this business are selling crappy $20K speakers. Throw in a Hypex amp and we are still under $7K. I almost bought these speakers, but decided to get the JBL 708P + Rythmik FM8s - good value especially given I get 3 8" drivers.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stereophile vertical response graph and FR:

(btw JA conclusions on vertical response based on the below graph: In the vertical plane (fig.6), the use of high-order crossover filters results in very little change in the speaker's balance over a wide range of listener heights—a good thing, given the tweeter's height from the ground of 43".). Very different from what we have here.

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 22.43.11.png

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 22.45.15.png

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

This is quite impressive. I saw this and had to scroll back up to the photo of the speaker itself because, based on the vertical directivity, I was thinking "did they put the mid and tweeter in the middle?". To get this kind of vertical response above and below the tweeter line with the mid and a row of woofers below it is really impressive. At least to me.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the f208’s in the sitting room and the Salon2s in the listening room - granted the listening room has much better amps; but not much comparison (to my ears) between the speakers.

Interesting, I'm guessing by that you mean the Salon 2s sound way better? From what I've heard of people who've done blind tests with both, they can be very tough to tell apart.

I think there's a high probability that Salon 2s may end up being my end game music speaker. It seems like Revel (at least compared to KEF/Genelec) is more willing to compromise directivity smoothness in order to get a bit wider dispersion. It probably lowers their preference score a bit, but may make them more preferred in listening tests. Perhaps this is a flaw with the preference score? Also makes me wonder about loudspeakers with even wider dispersion than the Revels, like Ascend, Salk, and BMRs.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile vertical response graph and FR:

(btw JA conclusions on vertical response based on the below graph: In the vertical plane (fig.6), the use of high-order crossover filters results in very little change in the speaker's balance over a wide range of listener heights—a good thing, given the tweeter's height from the ground of 43".). Very different from what we have here.

View attachment 62536

View attachment 62537

How is that different? Amir does not present vertical measurements in the listening window. Based on the polar map and MZKM's graphs though, this seems about right.

carlob

Forum Donor
How is that different? Amir does not present vertical measurements in the listening window. Based on the polar map and MZKM's graphs though, this seems about right.

I was responding to this: "And I suppose whether you care about a more flexible vertical listening window or not."

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
amrim are you jewish & why are you always promoting with a heavy bias towards harman products ? Oh right ... you sell harman products . Not trolling - i believe its a legitmate Q ?
Do you not believe the measurements provided by the Klippel measurements and/or his comments on those measurements? Do you not believe that these are excellent speakers based on their measurements? These have been measured elsewhere with similiar results and conclusions. Is it a bias if the revel speakers actually measure and sound good? Any time there is a comment about... "not trolling, but..." it usually is... in particular if the user has... 1 comment.

spacevector

Forum Donor
Heading to pick these monsters up right now! They’ll be paired with Hypex NC400 monoblocks and an RME ADI-2 DAC.
Do you have a measurement mic? If yes, please post measurements of your speakers when able. I'm interested in checking out the bass response. Measurements in this review show very anemic bass which seems counter-intiutive given the large speaker size.

jam

amrim are you jewish & why are you always promoting with a heavy bias towards harman products ? Oh right ... you sell harman products . Not trolling - i believe its a legitmate Q ?
If you knew anything about surnames from middle eastern origins, you would realize he's not Jewish. The antisemetic nature of your question is objectionable to the max and frankly quite sickening. And no, I'm not Jewish either, I was born and raised Christian FYI.

In the last couple of years I've read reviews by Amir, his honesty has been unquestionable and his reviews always objective regardles of whether his company deals a brand under review or not.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you not believe the measurements provided by the Klippel measurements and/or his comments on those measurements? Do you not believe that these are excellent speakers based on their measurements? These have been measured elsewhere with similiar results and conclusions. Is it a bias if the revel speakers actually measure and sound good? Any time there is a comment about... "not trolling, but..." it usually is... in particular if the user has... 1 comment.

Maybe he's talking about the choice of speakers measured so far, and not the content within the reviews.

jam

BTW, thanks for another great and very informative review Amir. Revel consistently seem to deliver speakers that measure very well and sound great.

airs

Super - please attempt close-mic measurements of the woofers and port in addition to in-room response.

Sure but I’ve only done a few speaker measurements so far for in-room response. How does one go about measuring up close? Vertical placement and exactly what distance from the drivers?

Top Bottom