• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional which I bought because I am a huge admirer of the achievements of the NASA moon shot program and there will probably never be another product with the cachet of that watch. Otherwise I use a Casio G Shock which uses a radio signal for accuracy and solar charging to avoid having to keep swapping batteries out. I was gifted a Galaxy watch but preferred the Casio so I gave the Galaxy to the boy who likes it a lot.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have had the watch bug for years. I can retrace it to my childhood. I've had a bunch of watches along the years, have lost a few among these a Rolex Daytona!!
I discovered Orient recently, interestingly enough, while I was turning from an subjectivist to objectivist audiophile.. What I have I'll keep but I don't think that I will ever fill up my watch bucket list (It has a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and a Lange and Schone) ... I may still acquire a Patek but that may be it. It has become difficult for me to rationalize expensive watches. My daily wear have reflected that too:

Everyday wear are: Orient Mako II:
1576324540157.png

or Glycine Combat Bronze
1576323683275.png

, my formal wear are among the most beautiful watches around regardless of price: Orient Polaris GMT ( Subjective I know .. sorry :()
1576323856057.png

or Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso

1576324015260.png

I also have a Chopard Mile Miglia and a Breitling Navitimer ... These will not be sold but if I put myself to acquire the Patek ( has to come from a fire sale or some stupidly great bargain ...), they may be swapped toward the Patek.
I don't see myself acquiring any more watches. End of that road. It was fun.

Attachments

• 1576323606310.png
    1576323606310.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 102
OP
NTomokawa

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Orient makes beautiful, quality products for the price. You can't go wrong except if you're in Canada, where we no longer have even a single authorized Orient retailer.

Meanwhile I bought a Casio G-Shock "King":
1576339319938.png

I can wear it over the wristcuffs of my coat and not give a care considering our winters. Can't do that with my SpeedTech!

gags11

Forum Donor
Hi

I have had the watch bug for years. I can retrace it to my childhood. I've had a bunch of watches along the years, have lost a few among these a Rolex Daytona!!
I discovered Orient recently, interestingly enough, while I was turning from an subjectivist to objectivist audiophile.. What I have I'll keep but I don't think that I will ever fill up my watch bucket list (It has a Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and a Lange and Schone) ... I may still acquire a Patek but that may be it. It has become difficult for me to rationalize expensive watches. My daily wear have reflected that too:

Everyday wear are: Orient Mako II:
View attachment 42520

or Glycine Combat Bronze
View attachment 42513

, my formal wear are among the most beautiful watches around regardless of price: Orient Polaris GMT ( Subjective I know .. sorry :()
View attachment 42516
or Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso

View attachment 42517

I also have a Chopard Mile Miglia and a Breitling Navitimer ... These will not be sold but if I put myself to acquire the Patek ( has to come from a fire sale or some stupidly great bargain ...), they may be swapped toward the Patek.
I don't see myself acquiring any more watches. End of that road. It was fun.

Do appreciate Orient and it’s dependability. However, they are not accurate. Still love them. Here are my current watches. I have decided I will never sell or get rid of a watch, only collect.

CBAA8DC9-EDC1-4DA1-A82B-E12826C37B7E.jpeg
E63FB93F-36E3-4F3E-855C-0342783A96B6.jpeg
D32B980F-2279-40E6-B249-8623A25A39B4.jpeg
5E7F767C-137B-45B2-849E-AA7755A87EDE.jpeg
38CD3D20-EF74-481A-BA98-0F422620FECF.jpeg

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's a dose of sanity, I happen to be wearing the Seiko 5 I mentioned earlier. ...
PS: I regulated this Seiko 5 with my tools and Weishi No. 1000 timegrapher. I set it to exact time on 3/7 when DST hit. That was 20 days ago and it's now 1 second ahead. That's better than 0.1 sec / day accuracy !?!? That's astoundingly good for any mechanical watch, let alone an inexpensive one like this.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Today I have a Ball Railroad Standard automatic...

Attachments

• AFFCD3AB-B59E-478E-835D-991A29FCAB49_1_201_a.jpeg
    AFFCD3AB-B59E-478E-835D-991A29FCAB49_1_201_a.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 116

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
PS: I regulated this Seiko 5 with my tools and Weishi No. 1000 timegrapher. I set it to exact time on 3/7 when DST hit. That was 20 days ago and it's now 1 second ahead. That's better than 0.1 sec / day accuracy !?!? That's astoundingly good for any mechanical watch, let alone an inexpensive one like this.

That's very good...

I always set my watch to 'atomic' time whenever I have to advance the date at the end of a month, and check it whenever I have to change it again. I get a very consistent +1/3 second/day, and I consider that quite good at 10 seconds or so a month... It's been steady on for 20 years now.

.1 sec/day is pretty remarkable...

AndrewDavis

MRC01

Major Contributor
Today I have a Ball Railroad Standard automatic...
A friend of mine recently gave me an old Ball pocketwatch to see if I could get it working. Indeed, after some adjustments it runs reliably and accurate to < 1 sec per day. I'd never heard of Ball before, but impressed by the quality of construction, and learned they have quite a long history.

1585330231022.png

AndrewDavis

That's a beautiful movement. Congratulations on getting it working again.

Ball has a nice place in the history of horology. They have a cool connection to the golden age of American railroading. It's a great story!

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I get a very consistent +1/3 second/day, and I consider that quite good at 10 seconds or so a month... It's been steady on for 20 years now. ...
That's typical of quartz accuracy. If it's mechanical, it's quite impressive! When I'm messing with regulating timepieces, any day I can get a mechanical within 2 seconds per day is a good day. Getting it within 1 second per day is a great day, and quite rare.
That said, my father built me a grandfather clock with a large Hermle movement. I have it adjusted to about 2 seconds per WEEK accuracy, but the pendulum is about 3' long so it is a very fine adjustment, and it is floor standing, doesn't move.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This week I have a rattlesnake wrapped around my wrist. It tells me when it is time to find a rat to eat when it starts shaking its tail. If I get bit, I can't be much worse than being locked in and waiting to get sick.

Neddy

Going from naked wrist to one of these - @$30, worth a shot, anyway.
Never saw the need for wrist bling otherwise (but do have a classic Skagen from back when I actually had to work for a living:)
1585410197902.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Impressive. Makes me wish my '80s quartz watches were anywhere near as good. '86 Seiko about +15 seconds / month, '82 Seiko something like +30 (this one could be adjusted but clearly has never been, and aging has done its thing). The one that keeps time best ironically is the non-inox cheapie with the somewhat battery-hungry GDR movement with a wrist band that's a bit too loose for me even at minimum size.

I have tried picking up 32.768 kHz or one of its harmonics with the AR7030 before, no dice. I suppose I would have to wind a ferrite antenna, tune it with a parallel capacitor and use high-impedance whip input mode. Makes me wonder how DCF movements are getting decent 77.5 kHz reception with what has to be tiny ferrite antennas.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Impressive. Makes me wish my '80s quartz watches were anywhere near as good. '86 Seiko about +15 seconds / month, '82 Seiko something like +30 (this one could be adjusted but clearly has never been, and aging has done its thing). ...
The difference is consistency. Day over day, I've seen this mechanical Seiko slowly drift ahead or behind as much as 5-10 seconds. But then the next week that trend reverses, making the long-term average spot-on. Seems to depend on what I do that day - sit at the desk more, go out and walk around, etc.

On my timegrapher, as I rotate the watch to different positions, the beat and rate change slightly. So if regulate it to zero on the timegrapher, it will be "pretty close" but not "as good as I can get it". Instead, I regulate to zero on the timegrapher to get in the ballpark. Then let it run for a couple of weeks, see how much it's drifted, convert that to secs/day (call it N), then put it on the timegrapher, see what it measures, and regulate it to be N faster or slower.

My quartz watches, OTOH, are consistently predictable. Every day they gain exactly 0.5 seconds (ahead); +15 secs per month, no more, no less. Seiko, Citizen, Timex, it doesn't seem to matter, they're all the same.

Top Bottom