• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone in the mid 1990's. Then my wife got me this last Christmas:
unnamed.jpg

One of the reasons I wanted an Apple watch is I love Mickey Mouse.

Bald1

Finally tracked down the source for the rare private label 1977 vintage piece sold by the then Edward Louis Kiek Jewelers of Amsterdam, NL (ELKA) that I picked up NOS back in 2001. Kiek passed in 2000 with no heirs so the store was shuttered. The remaining stock was liquidated including the piece I have. It's a based on the Lemania 9803 watch. Really like it and its 22J Lemania 1340 movement (yes, not the 17J 1341).
icon_biggrin.gif

9a2AzjT.jpg

xcJlCX2.jpg

3Rw9OTz.jpg

Rodney Jones

Rolex Submariner all stainless with the black face.

Purchased it as a gift to myself on my 30th birthday and only take it off to sleep. It has seen a lot of wear over the last 23 years but only needed service twice so far. I plan to leave this one to my oldest son. I plan to purchase another Submariner for my 55th birthday; this time in two tone gold and stainless with the blue face. I will pass this one to son #2.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a lot of choices for the dial appearance. Nearly ever appliance or computer around us tells the time. A watch is hardly necessary. So what are we signaling with our watches? :)
1572088944498.jpeg
I also had this, but just passed it on to my son. It was a 21st birthday gift to my grandfather from his mother.
1572089334666.jpeg

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a lot of choices for the dial appearance. Nearly ever appliance or computer around us tells the time. A watch is hardly necessary. So what are we signaling with our watches? :)
View attachment 36963I also had this, but just passed it on to my son. It was a 21st birthday gift to my grandfather from his mother.
View attachment 36964
I like to be able to get the time with a quick glance at my wrist. A phone is uselessly long winded and even my fitness checker goes dark normally so I always wear a watch, even when wearing the fitness checker.
So despite it being not necessary I value the convenience.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just found this watch which I got for my 21st birthday is very rare.
View attachment 36940
Somebody on another forum said "wow you have a Speedmaster with a racing dial, that is rare" so I did a bit of research only to find there have been several,versions called "racing" over the years but this was made in about 1968 I eventually found (my Dad got a deal on it in 1971 for my birthday present) and there seem to be only a small number known. Who would have thought, at the time I would have preferred the normal one without "chequered" second markers and red hands!

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's a dose of sanity, I happen to be wearing the Seiko 5 I mentioned earlier. ...
Something else I like about inexpensive mechanical watches: I can work on them myself with basic tools, which is educational and fun. For example my Seiko 5 ran a bit slow consistently when I first got it. It was easy to open the case and tweak the speed up a bit. I would not want to do that myself with more expensive watches.

MRC01

Major Contributor
You have a lot of choices for the dial appearance. Nearly ever appliance or computer around us tells the time. A watch is hardly necessary. So what are we signaling with our watches? :) ...
Many people use wrist watches for social signaling, same reason they drive expensive cars.
For me personally, it's just pragmatic. I want to know what time it is, and glancing at my wrist is quicker and easier than getting out my phone, and my phone sometimes can't tell me what time it is because its battery died, and I can't bring my phone with me when swimming, etc. I tried naked wrist a while back, and I just couldn't get used to it; whenever I wanted to know the time, it was a real pain to fish out my phone and turn it on.
For me the ideal wristwatch is: zero maintenance: it just always works, no batteries to charge or replace, and it's waterproof and light and small enough to wear everywhere. So "smart" watches are out of the question, as are quartz where the battery occasionally dies. That leaves mechanical automatics, and some unusual quartz watches like Seiko kinetic or Citizen ecodrive.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
A have a couple of cheap, no frills (i.e., don't care what kind of beating they take) watches, but these are the three I rotate regularly. Although I don't dress up enough to wear the Junghans very often.

watches_3.jpg

From L to R:
  • Hamilton 9379 automatic chronograph, reverse-panda.
  • Junghans Max Bill automatic.
  • Steinhart Nav-B Uhr automatic, B type.

Reactions: Tks

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a collection of expensive watches but I only wear them now for special occasions. TBH I'm kind of over them. Everything electronic has a clock on it and I carry two phones.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many people use wrist watches for social signaling, same reason they drive expensive cars.
For me personally, it's just pragmatic. I want to know what time it is, and glancing at my wrist is quicker and easier than getting out my phone, and my phone sometimes can't tell me what time it is because its battery died, and I can't bring my phone with me when swimming, etc. I tried naked wrist a while back, and I just couldn't get used to it; whenever I wanted to know the time, it was a real pain to fish out my phone and turn it on.
For me the ideal wristwatch is: zero maintenance: it just always works, no batteries to charge or replace, and it's waterproof and light and small enough to wear everywhere. So "smart" watches are out of the question, as are quartz where the battery occasionally dies. That leaves mechanical automatics, and some unusual quartz watches like Seiko kinetic or Citizen ecodrive.
I've an old Seiko quartz that the battery last 11 years each time. I've replaced it 3 times. If newer ones are that good I wouldn't be bothered by battery power. I do have a Citizen Eco drive as well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

orangejello

I have collected a bunch of analog watches over the years and I am trying to sell off some that I don't wear. I am a member of watchuseek but haven't been active there for a few years. When I tried to post two Hamilton watches (ETA-2824, Valjoux 7750) I found out that they had implemented a policy that members have to post 100 times before they can sell anything. So even though I have bought and sold watches there, because I only have 28 posts, I can no longer post watches for sale. Any idea where else I might sell these nice watches? I really don't want to sell on ebay either.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Breguet Marine, Rolex Day/Date SS Gold and Roman others

Daily wear: Luminox

Top Bottom