• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Is this really all down to the main obvious difference between the speakers - i.e. the fuller/riper bass response in the Elac vs the muted response in the ZA5.2 making the initial subjective impression so different?
I think that probably is the case. With the Elac you can basically draw a straight line through the response all the way to 80 Hz, with the ZA5.2 only down to 120ish. That'll result in a pretty significantly different tonal balance between the two if compared side by side out in the open.

If placed close to a wall with the bass EQed for both, I suspect most of that difference would go away, at least at moderate volumes.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had this speaker in my office for the last month, and it is impressive. It pains me to say it, but the difference between this $600 speaker and my $4,000 Revel m126be is minor, and more subjective preference - I would likely fail a double blind test - which really kills me. On the other hand, the cosmetic details on these speakers are quite "cheap". Veneer already peeling back visibly where they meet at the edges, so it's obvious all the money went to the important stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from a subjective point of view when comparing to "the best of the best" in this segment.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly for people who would be building typical lounge cinema the matching horizontal DCR52 center channel is 2-way design with known issues. @amirm did you send message to Andrew Jones about this review and asked him here to comment? He never came last time you asked.

DCR52-W-Gallery-2.png
Agreed, this is very unfortunate as this design has proven to present lobing issues. I have the Debut Reference and am seriously considering just getting a 3rd speaker for matching LCR duty.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
?
Veneer already peeling back visibly where they meet at the edges
Is it real wood veneer? Or wood-grain look vinyl?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sadly for people who would be building typical lounge cinema the matching horizontal DCR52 center channel is 2-way design with known issues. @amirm did you send message to Andrew Jones about this review and asked him here to comment? He never came last time you asked.

DCR52-W-Gallery-2.png
I agree with you for the most part, although I have seen a couple of 2 way MTM's that measure pretty well.....specifically those with smallish woofers placed as close together as possible, such as in the above design.
Spin - Revel Concerta2 C25-2.png

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Bah! Another "impressions" review on the Elac Debut Reference hit YouTube today...

Toward the end he pulled the old "if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe what my (insert friend/relative/SO), who has no idea about audio, had to say". Doesn't it seem counter-intuitive for a self-professed audiophile reviewer to grab someone who "has no idea about audio" to provide feedback in your place as evidence that you know what you're saying? It's akin to saying "yo, I know you guys believe everything I say and I get paid a lot for saying it but it turns out that you can grab anyone off the street and they can tell you as much as I can".

giphy.gif

And to be clear, I'm not really bashing on him. Just the silly audiophile reviewer logic that is perpetuated time and time again.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to see the m126be reviewed at some point. That is the end game for a great deal many people and it would be wonderful to see what the difference truly is. (I know general measurements are available, but the comments and discussion are valuable to me.)
I bought the m126be specifically for the seamless mid-high crossover, and what the beryllium brings to the table in terms of transparency and high frequency response. Imagine my shock when the Elac Reference delivered similar performance (caveat: being 50 with hearing loss due to age, I'm not the final word in assessing high frequency resolution). I'm a huge fan of the nuances of female vocals, jazz percussion and acoustic guitar *sigh* yes, I would be equally happy with the Debut Reference with my only objection being a the budget cosmetics of the fake wood veneer. Now this is specific to the music I listen to, so YMMV. I also occasionally rock out to Rush, Queen and Led Z. and the speakers are equals for pop/rock. This is why I've stopped searching for my multi-channel home theater speakers - this is it. I'm not going to do better than 5 Debut Reference speakers.

H

Hifihedgehog

So far my reviews of other Andrew Jones speakers has not resulted in any star performers.
Maybe I was misinterpreting things, but I thought the Jones’ Pioneer SP-BS22-LR did pretty well especially for its price.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How well would they work in a near-field application?
They are quite deep and large for such a use. While I did not test them as such, I stood in front of them while playing and it seemed to integrate well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe I was misinterpreting things, but I thought the Jones’ Pioneer SP-BS22-LR did pretty well especially for its price.
It was good for its price but not star performer.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If going by the preference score, yes. But keep in mind the score doesn’t account for sensitivity, power handling, linearity/compression, etc.

spacevector

Forum Donor
They are quite deep and large for such a use. While I did not test them as such, I stood in front of them while playing and it seemed to integrate well.
Amir, is this something the NFS can spit out rather easily - minimum distance for proper driver integration? May be useful to include in future reviews.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
And with no active speaker hiss..
I really want to point out that there is no such thing as "active speaker hiss". What there is is hiss from cheap active components used in cheap active speakers. For the same money, build the speaker with a passive crossover and a conventional external amplifier. One - it would sound worse because you threw away opportunities to optimise the design, and two - it would probably hiss - because you could only afford an even cheaper amplifier. Complaints about hiss from certain active speakers are all about value engineering. What would you trade off for the same price?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, is this something the NFS can spit out rather easily - minimum distance for proper driver integration? May be useful to include in future reviews.
It has such a metric (really, a graph) that is called that but I think it is showing something else completely. Once I figure out useful data from it, I will definitely post.

Top Bottom