• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

WesParker

If the rear panel states 2x8Ohm then that is OK. If it does not then it probably is not OK for 2x8Ohm or even 1x4Ohm. Sometimes amplifier speakers A&B are wired in series. It's rare but I've seen it.

I think he was trying to compare power ratings, but I could be wrong. As in the 4 Ohm rating is generally 2 times the 8 Ohm rating.

My answer to the question would be, if the amp you are looking at has a 4 ohm rating that is legitimately double the 8 ohm rating, then it's probably a beefy amp.

SynthesisCinema

Sadly for people who would be building typical lounge cinema the matching horizontal DCR52 center channel is 2-way design with known issues. @amirm did you send message to Andrew Jones about this review and asked him here to comment? He never came last time you asked.

DCR52-W-Gallery-2.png

Reactions: wje
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
do you have any recommendation of amp with matching price/performance for this speaker?
I do not currently. Or at least don't remember. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm did you send message to Andrew Jones about this review and asked him here to comment?
I did. He said he would read the review. I didn't put pressure for him to come and comment though. Industry people have work to do and they can't always engage forums.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did. He said he would read the review. I didn't put pressure for him to come and comment though. Industry people have work to do and they can't always engage forums.
FWIW I read a few Motor Racing forums when that was my business.
Firstly I mainly kept facts to myself to avoid giving free R&D to the competition.
Secondly enthusiasts did -not- want their existing opinion challenged by facts if there was something non confidential to share.
In the end I gave up on them, or commenting on motor racing much on forums such as this.

I would imagine Andrew Jones would feel a bit the same way here.
Hats off to @Floyd Toole for posting here, but he is retired now, like me, though I still steer clear of motor racing discussions, not least since I used to spread misinformation to put people off the scent and some of it has become "common knowledge" for fans which is more than embarrassing, considering.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
He's got little to gain by wading through and responding here.

I'm sure he has interesting chats on linkedin with his peers .

Awhile ago when we were small this could be a platform for industry focused technical folks to talk amongst themselves, now if they do come it's a place they must ' deal with ' and Increasingly with little reward beyond making a name for themselves.. jonesy dose not need to do that.

You gain you lose, I guess it's a price of expansion and notoriety for us.

Still a jonesy fly by would be appreciated.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly for people who would be building typical lounge cinema the matching horizontal DCR52 center channel is 2-way design with known issues. @amirm did you send message to Andrew Jones about this review and asked him here to comment? He never came last time you asked.

DCR52-W-Gallery-2.png
What are those "known" issues?

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How well would they work in a near-field application?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kevin Deal is hard to take seriously. He pushes a lot of audiophile nonsense.

Perhaps, unlike most of us who also enjoyed similar pharmaceutical pleasures, Señor Deal retained a bit too much of the influence of his acid-tripping days. o_O:eek:

(But I would buy tubes from him because of his rigorous testing, matching, and burn-in program - and the burn=in is valuable to help weed out bad tubes and early failures.)

dwkdnvr

I have to admit I find the difference in tone between this thread and the ZA5.2 thread interesting. The measurements and preference scores for the 2 speakers are actually rather close, but the Zaph thread was very negative and this thread is very positive. Is this really all down to the main obvious difference between the speakers - i.e. the fuller/riper bass response in the Elac vs the muted response in the ZA5.2 making the initial subjective impression so different? I suppose the ZA5.2 being a kit probably caused many to just ignore the thread, but my take away is that if used with subs the 2 will be fairly close in performance.

ta240

Major Contributor
Interesting point.
I don't dig through all the measurement data so there may be something else there pointing to a difference but the ZA5s are clearly marketed as likely to need a subwoofer "tradeoffs have been made in favor of midrange and midbass smoothness and clarity. Those who require higher levels or home theater usage will generally need a subwoofer. "

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DCR52-W-Gallery-2.png

Oh man bummer. They should have moved that tweeter up, and the woofers closer together, for better lobing mitigation.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This might explain a lot of audio commentary.
I expect so.
The only bit of the audio business I have direct engineering experience of is turntables and there is a lot of bollox about, at least some of which was probably put about by people who know the facts but don't want others to get free R&D.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
since I used to sperad misinformation to put people off the scent and some of it has become "common knowledge" for fans which is more than embarrassing, coinsidering.
Ha ha thats cheered me up no end, thanks Frank!

wje

Forum Donor
Bah! Another "impressions" review on the Elac Debut Reference hit YouTube today...

Top Bottom