• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Per your own FAQ here is how I deal with Leakage Current:
1584015198241.png

Per your own FAQ here is how I deal with Phase Noise:

1584017305596.png

For $210 it's isolated by 15 meters on the client, 15 meters on the server of optical cabling, and I can load tracks in 200-400 milliseconds on average.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quoting @Superdad

"
As I've said elsewhere, John has already measured these effects--with a Wavecrest system better suited to this[than an Audio Precision Analyzer]--at the clock pin of DACs. 6dB improvement at 10Hz offset is what he has seen so far with EtherREGEN. Our tests using a custom 32 bit high-speed SAR ADC and analysis s/w--to show things after the DAC will come later.

"
As JABBR pointed out the AP Analyzer and the Wavecrest are two different devices measuring two different things. Tsk tsk Alex you can only fool some of the people all of the time (i.e. your gullible customers).

Let me guess with your Wavecrest: It's at the clock input...

Jon Saiu proved what competent DACs are able to recover years ago from atrocious input.

Again, show us the DAC Analog Output. What it's placing on the wire feeding an amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
Quoting @Superdad

"
As I've said elsewhere, John has already measured these effects--with a Wavecrest system better suited to this[than an Audio Precision Analyzer]--at the clock pin of DACs. 6dB improvement at 10Hz offset is what he has seen so far with EtherREGEN. Our tests using a custom 32 bit high-speed SAR ADC and analysis s/w--to show things after the DAC will come later.

"
As JABBR pointed out the AP Analyzer and the Wavecrest are two different devices measuring two different things. Tsk tsk Alex you can only fool some of the people all of the time (i.e. your gullible customers).

Jon Saiu proved what competent DACs are able to recover years ago from atrocious input.

Again, show us the DAC Analog Output. What it's placing on the wire feeding an amp.
You're saying we're not actually listening to the clock in the Ethernet switch?!! ;)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They'll do it as soon as JS finishes building his device for measuring wishful thinking.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/22187-uptone-audio-regen/?do=findComment&comment=400967

up1.PNG
up2.PNG

up3.PNG

https://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen-manufacturers-comment

UpTone Audio USB Regen Manufacturers' Comment

facebook.svg

twitter.svg

flipboard.svg

pinterest.svg

email.svg

sharethis.svg

Manufacturers' Comment, UpTone Audio USB Regen
Editor: While we wish to thank Michael Lavorgna, Kalman Rubinson, and John Atkinson for their terrific team coverage of our USB Regen, I would be remiss not to take this opportunity to express our tremendous gratitude to the audiophiles and music lovers around the world who have made the Regen a runaway success—well beyond what we had initially imagined—in just a few short months.

As I pen this reply in late August, over 2000 units have been sold since its launch in May-and with zero advertising! That's crazy, especially for a small firm such as mine, but it is a testament to the power of word-of-keyboard, as continuous and near-unanimous reports are shared by Regen users around the world, hearing results with DACs, computers, and streamers, from modest to mega.
The Regen circuit was designed by my close friend John Swenson. He is a truly brilliant engineer whose day job is designing the power-distribution networks deep inside large custom computer chips (the sort of devices that run high-speed network data centers), so his knowledge and understanding of the root causes and physical factors at play in digital interfaces are formidable. While his audio design talents are broad and considerable—several other groundbreaking products are in the works—we chose to tackle the shortcomings of the ubiquitous USB interface first. When Michael Lavorgna reviewed our USB Regen for Stereophile's sister website AudioStream.com, he was gracious in publishing our concise "white paper," wherein John explains the challenges inherent in USB input circuitry and how the Regen addresses them. We encourage those interested to click here to learn more about this topic.
With regard to John Atkinson's valiant attempts to measure differences at his DAC's analog outputs with the Regen in and out of the chain, allow me to paraphrase a recent post of John Swenson's from the ComputerAudiophile.com forum, where the two of us hang out:
"Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment. Unfortunately[,] where a lot of the final jitter happens is inside the DAC chip[,] and that is essentially impossible to measure.

"None of the standard audio tests have been able to find any difference in the analog audio output. Part of the problem here is that in order to make any sense, the analog-to-digital converter used in the test equipment must have lower jitter than the jitter you are trying to measure the effects of. People doing these measurements are using ADCs that have known jitter levels significantly greater than what the best DACs have. This makes these tests pretty useless for measuring the supposed effects caused by changes in jitter.

"The theory I am going on for these effects is that the operation of the USB receiver is generating noise in the DAC's power and ground system, and this should be measurable. I'm putting together a test setup to better measure this. Yet that is still an intermediate effect[;] I don't know how to test the analog out well enough to actually measure the analog changes. I think I would have to build the world's best ADC in order to do so. Don't hold your breath on that.

"Improvements at this level do not cause changes to gross frequency response or distortion, yet they do make things sound 'more real.' The problem is that nobody knows what the actual changes are that cause people to perceive the sound as being more real. If we did[,] it would be a lot easier to set up tests to look for it. And on top of that, because it is so intertwined with the aural perception system, it is probably different for different people."

So perhaps by the time this appears we will have published eye-pattern measurements to at least demonstrate the Regen's positive effect on USB signal integrity. But beyond that, everyone will just have to continue judging the merits with their own sensitive instruments—their ears. Of course, that's what ultimately counts for musical enjoyment.

Again, thank you for the lovely review, and remember: The best DAC you have never heard may be your own. It's great to Regenerate!—Alex Crespi, UpTone Audio

mansr

Major Contributor
Quoting @Superdad

"

"

Look, my hand-waving has a lot less jitter with the regurgitator in place!

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
"Measuring the signal integrity of the USB signal is something fairly easy to do with a 3–4GHz scope and an eye-pattern test. Jitter measurements are a lot harder[;] at the exceedingly low level we are looking at[,] it takes some rather expensive test equipment. Unfortunately[,] where a lot of the final jitter happens is inside the DAC chip[,] and that is essentially impossible to measure."

Which begs the questions:
  1. How does UpTone know this jitter even exists?
  2. How does UpTone design / engineer / implement a piece of hardware that supposedly corrects a problem that they cannot measure?

Last edited:

xyvyx

Forum Donor
ok, for argument's sake... Should we be testing/evaluating the ER using a poorly designed streaming device & DAC?
If the stance is (or if Dad is willing to concede...) that the bits that arrive at the DAC are identical, that the timing/jitter is irrelevant, but that electrical noise could be carried over the copper & make it into the power stage of the DAC & subsequent opamps... OK.
We're maybe exiting magic audio gremlin territory?

But then aren't we just at the mercy of how the streamer & dac are designed?

cjm2077

"Improvements at this level do not cause changes to gross frequency response or distortion, yet they do make things sound 'more real.' The problem is that nobody knows what the actual changes are that cause people to perceive the sound as being more real. If we did[,] it would be a lot easier to set up tests to look for it. And on top of that, because it is so intertwined with the aural perception system, it is probably different for different people."

Ah, the good old "we don't know enough to prove it doesn't work!" validation. What a great cop-out.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Which begs the questions:
  1. How does UpTone know this jitter even exists?
  2. How does UpTone design / engineer / implement a piece of hardware that supposedly corrects a problem that they cannot measure?

1: They sell a solution that works (so we are told) so the jitter must exist as their ears, those from Beekhuizen and lots of customers tell them it exists therefore it must exist.
2: They do 'measure' it.. they use their ears as test gear which explains why they cannot show results as their brains have no (pdf)printers attached and measure the ever increasing thickness of their wallets.
That confirms it exists but they will not publish those results.

And yes, common and differential mode 'garbage' exists and in some cases does result in audible nasties/problems.
In some rare cases it might even be a solution to an existing problem with certain gear.
Improving SQ ... in almost all cases ... nope ...no way.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
ok, for argument's sake... Should we be testing/evaluating the ER using a poorly designed streaming device & DAC?
This would imply the existence of a device that passes upstream interference through without burying it in noise of its own making. It would have to be simultaneously good and bad, a Schrödinger's DAC. Now if such a device is observed, it collapses into one state or the other, either good or bad, thus rendering the effect of the regurgitator unmeasurable.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Test and prove hypothesis that there's better performance in the digital realm

Test and prove that impacts the analogue output of a DAC.

If we pass those landmarks Test and prove that ' benefit' is audible.

As far as I'm aware non of this has happened, it's never going to happen because they can sell it without doing it and don't really care if they are right or not.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong .

Until the above happens I don't see any reason to discuss uptone audio products on ASR.

There's only so many ways to say snake oil and I'm sure we all have better things to do than waste time on it.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Test and prove hypothesis that there's better performance in the digital realm

Test and prove that impacts the analogue output of a DAC.

If we pass those landmarks Test and prove that ' benefit' is audible.

As far as I'm aware non of this has happened, it's never going to happen because they can sell it without doing it and don't really care if they are right or not.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong .

Capture.JPG

ta240

Major Contributor
Not a ”White paper” as such. Here’s two printouts from an ethernet connected printer. One with & one without the ETHERregen in line with printer. Guess which is which.
Case closed I’d say, I’ll never print without ETHERregen again ... ;-)

View attachment 53966

I think those are pictures representing a claimed difference, not two actual printouts which makes them meaningless.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is really a question for Alex/John. Surely if their theory is remotely correct, they should be able to find one instance of some DAC that is affected. Strange that they don't have such a sample and data to demonstrate.

Fro now, such a DAC needs to be poorly designed in a very, very specific way to not get affected by all the noise that its own streamer generates internally, but somehow cares about something external to it. After all, there are plenty of ground currents running around inside such a poorly made device. Why would it be impacted by a device sitting outside it??? Ditto for jitter sources.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is really a question for Alex/John. Surely if their theory is remotely correct, they should be able to find one instance of some DAC that is affected. Strange that they don't have such a sample and data to demonstrate.

How about the one(s) they evaluated alpha and beta builds against? I mean Alex called my Emotiva DC-1 garbage that couldn't resolve the improvement. But it seems at odds:

Why would it only be high end (read it as expensive) gear show this difference? Shouldn't high end gear take into account all this noise and include their own 'moat'?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do stacking multiple etherRegen's in series result in a greater improvement? Stack like 8 of them in a row to make it easier to measure the effect if so. I'll be giving away design/marketing ideas, but maybe down the road Uptone will have the EtherRegen 8 which does it all in one box for the price of 4 or something.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do stacking multiple etherRegen's in series result in a greater improvement? Stack like 8 of them in a row to make it easier to measure the effect if so. I'll be giving away design/marketing ideas, but maybe down the road Uptone will have the EtherRegen 8 which does it all in one box for the price of 4 or something.
John has said that one on each end of the USB cable will yield an improvement but more than that doesn't do much. I'm sure @Superdad can clarify

Top Bottom