• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra 2 Speaker Review

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For $1500, I might want something better. The vertical is just awful. Don't stand up! Don't slouch! Make sure those speaker stands are widely adjustable!

I wouldn't be so dismissive on vertical.

1)Narrow vertical directivity minimizes vertical reflections. Unlike horizontal reflections, we know vertical reflections tend to be particularly detrimental to timbre. So barring a a coaxial, I'd imagine this a better approach than the typical dome. Some waveguides also try to make for narrower vertical dispersion than horizontal for this reason.

2) I wouldn't use the sierras in the nearfield, but at a seating distance of 10 feet, a 10 degree angle change is 1.8 feet in height. You have more than enough leeway for slouching and should be fine standing too. I'll certainly take the wider horizontal directivity over some consequences in the height department.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't be so dismissive on vertical.

1)Narrow vertical directivity minimizes vertical reflections. Unlike horizontal reflections, we know vertical reflections tend to be detrimental.

2) I wouldn't use the sierras in the nearfield, but at a seating distance of 10 feet, a 10 degree angle change is nearly 1.8 feet in height. You have more than enough leeway for slouching and should be fine standing too. I'll certainly take the wider horizontal directivity over some consequences in the height department.

You're right, it's not that bad, and the narrowness is really only above 10khz anyways. I'm just spoiled by my desire for measurements like the Genelecs and Neumann KH80, I don't want yucky +/- 20 degree cancellation lobes. :)

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know what happened to 3.4k Hz? I know ribbon tweeters all have 2k Hz resonance but another potentially resonance at 3.4k is uncommon. Did amirm or anyone else test CSD for this speaker? CSD might help to tell whether it is resonance or not.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right, it's not that bad, and the narrowness is really only above 10khz anyways. I'm just spoiled by my desire for measurements like the Genelecs and Neumann KH80, I don't want yucky +/- 20 degree cancellation lobes. :)

Haha yeah, I just want to point out that the lower SPL of the vertical reflections means the lobes will be less audible than they will be on other speakers where the radiation is otherwise similar.

This is evident in the fact the lobing in the vertical reflections seem to have almost no effect on the PIR or directivity curves, while they do on most of the other non-coaxials tested. It also bodes well for different listening spaces - you don't have to worry about varying ceiling height affecting sound too much, for instance.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does anyone know what happened to 3.4k Hz? I know ribbon tweeters all have 2k Hz resonance but another potentially resonance at 3.4k is uncommon. Did amirm or anyone else test CSD for this speaker? CSD might help to tell whether it is resonance or not.
I had run them but forgotten to post. Just added it to the review:

index.php

laudio

Whoa, I thought these were priced per pair, not single. These are more than Revel Performa's, they better have damn good spins to get away with that pricing with those pedestrian looks/finishes.

??? They cost less than the 3's. And specs look much better on the low end, but will need more power. Just wait.

Haint

??? They cost less than the 3's. And specs look much better on the low end, but will need more power. Just wait.

The 6.5" tower is more than the 6.5" F206 and the bookshelf is more than the M105 and slightly less than the M106. JBL consumer/home typically isn't priced at Revel levels AFAIK.

laudio

The 6.5" tower is more than the 6.5" F206 and the bookshelf is more than the M105 and slightly less than the M106. JBL consumer/home typically isn't priced at Revel levels AFAIK.

The new HDIs are part of the Synthesis line they aren't like little 300's. Whatever you want to keep thinking.... anyway they cost less than the M106's.

Haint

The new HDIs are part of the Synthesis line they aren't like little 300's. Whatever you want to keep thinking.... anyway they cost less than the M106's.

My mistake, I thought they were part of the consumer brand, perhaps they should have called them the "Synthesis Home HDI 3600" or something to distinguish them from their cheaper high volume models. Those fake veneers do look terrible on a $4000 tower or $2000 bookshelf though. I would however guess that they sound fantastic.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
One of my customers has the the same speakers. While I can't share the frequency response at the moment, I can say it was strange. Started rolling off at 6 kHz and was -15 dB down at about 12 kHz with a -4 dB hole at 3 kHz. Both channels measured the same and were setup for midfield use. At first we thought magnetic covers were still on the RAAL's but apparently not...

After which I just crossed out the Ascend brand. So much difference between official and independent measurements is unacceptable.

Living in Europe (cheaper than in NA) the obvious option is KEF R3 or the previous R300 model (if it is obtained with a great discount). And in columns, also of the same R series, my two cents.

Or KEF Q150 / Q100, with only the 5.25" Uni-Q coaxial, with two subwoofers. Closed or DIY OB from GR-Research (Danny Richie) if big room but not very big.

Updated: The same (two subwoofers) with KEF LS50.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have to say these are the most interesting reviews. It is about what I would spend on speakers and it is a price point where you can and should expect good performance with a nice quality finish.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of information here:

The Sierra 2 is a highly touted internet direct speaker. However, it has a major design deficiency in vertical dispersion and minor deficiencies in frequency response. The Sierra 2 EX has the same ribbon tweeter so it will be no better with the vertical dispersion issue. Guess I will keep my LS50's and Rythmik subs. The Klippel slays all.

Every mention of the highly rated Golden Ear Triton speakers brings a few members with the complaint their ribbon tweeter is no good and the RAAL ribbon tweeter is perfection. The Triton line also suffers from limited vertical dispersion. Implementation is more important than many realize.

There is also a good discussion of preference factors and why a Pioneer B22 can rate so high, yet have very limited bass and power handling.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone interested, I plugged in the listening window to REW to make some basic EQ to flatten it out. I left the tweeter range alone since most people seem to like the highs of the ribbon. This should make the speaker sound more balanced in the mids. This is a good speaker to EQ since the directivity index is very smooth.

View attachment 52440

Here's another one for those wishing to get some more extension on both ends.

Stump909

One of my customers has the the same speakers. While I can't share the frequency response at the moment, I can say it was strange. Started rolling off at 6 kHz and was -15 dB down at about 12 kHz with a -4 dB hole at 3 kHz. Both channels measured the same and were setup for midfield use. At first we thought magnetic covers were still on the RAAL's but apparently not...

Except Amir's measurements clearly show otherwise....

After which I just crossed out the Ascend brand. So much difference between official and independent measurements is unacceptable.

Living in Europe (cheaper than in NA) the obvious option is KEF R3 or the previous R300 model (if it is obtained with a great discount). And in columns, also of the same R series, my two cents.

Or KEF Q150 / Q100, with only the 5.25" Uni-Q coaxial, with two subwoofers. Closed or DIY OB from GR-Research (Danny Richie) if big room but not very big.

Seems silly to write it off based on one user's comment that conflicts with the site's results.

Lots of information here:

The Sierra 2 is a highly touted internet direct speaker. However, it has a major design deficiency in vertical dispersion

I wouldn't call it major. A 40 degree cone can be sufficient for many and as other users have stated, it greatly reduces vertical reflections.

maty

Major Contributor
Seems silly to write it off based on one user's comment that conflicts with the site's results.

Explain to me why the impedance curve differs so much.

It also boasts of using bamboo but it seems that it is insufficient to eliminate resonances. At that price the loudspeakers should be much better cushioned!

Finally, the obvious, the frequency response and the CSD.

No thank you.

Stump909

That wasn't my point, nor do I have an answer. I'm simply curious why one comment noting a rolloff at 6kHz is received as fact when Amir's measurements don't display anything of the sort.

Lol, what? Obvious to whom? Nothing about those are egregious or unreasonable.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It also boasts of using bamboo but it seems that it is insufficient to eliminate resonances. At that price the loudspeakers should be much better cushioned!

No thank you.
The measurements for this speaker aren't bad though... Your commentary comes off as a little silly when taking into account the actuals.

Top Bottom