• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Btw better be careful... most people on this forum believe ALL similar measuring DACs sound EXACTLY the same ;)

Well, not exactly...

But to the OP: Yes, watch out for those who try to tell you about how one DAC vs another is warmer, or colder, or more open in the soundstage...just say 'uh huh,' and keep reading. When people say believe your ears, not measurements when it comes to this type of device...that's another clue you can safely tune out...

Don't get lost in the ' but even my wife in the kitchen could hear the difference' stuff...that's not how any of this works, unless something is effectively broken...

Veri

Master Contributor
I found one problem. I've used M500 with notebook (Windows 10). But today I had to use MacBook Pro and I've tested all audio formats and hear clicks on DSD256 (Audirvana+ or Jriver). And there is no difference for DSD256 file or Upsamling (in Audirvana+) to DSD256.
Also compare CD and Tidal on some tracks and didn't hear any difference. There is some same albums in Tidal (master and hifi) between witch I can hear difference. I have some same tracks, the first is 24/384 (original DXD), the second is MQA (24/384 inside) and between them I don't hear difference. (but size of first is 700Mb, the second 100 Mb)
The ears are no longer the same like 10-15 years ago!!!
When I started listening to music, using my first Hi-Fi headphones many years ago, I could hear 20Hz-20kHz. But now I can hear only 20Hz-15kHz with normal volume...
Maximum effect of the USB cable on the sound I heard with Chord Mojo (it was QED Reference). With RME ADI-2 PRO I don't hear changing of USB cables. Although I I have heard the different USB cables with iFi iDSD especially with iFi dual headed cable and iFi iUSB 3.0 (now I don't hear iUSB influence with ADI-2, M500, Hugo 2) But my notebook (acer, windows 10) has much power noise unlike MacBook Pro (2015). I can hear it with OPPO HA-2 SE (it charges when connected). But with different USB cables, HA-2 has different noise (QED Reference 0,6 m - much noise, Inakustik Exzellenz 1.0m - much noise, WireWorld Starlight 8 - a little bit noise).
Also at the time I noticed a little problem with MacBook USB 3.0 drivers. I had Mojo with some problems, it played DSD 128, 256 with clicks (I don't remember revisions of OS X). MacBook Air (old MacOS) - no clicks, but with newer versions with clicks. Then I bought MacBook Pro and again - I hear clicks. So I installed windows 10 on it and lo and behold - no clicks!!!
Another funny case. I was interested, is USB cable can influence with external HDD and I use QED USB Cable with it. All test with MacBook Pro (2015). The same files on the external disk and inside. MacOS - I hear difference, Windows - I don't hear difference.
USB cables for HDD, uh-huh, right....

Tony333

USB cables for HDD, uh-huh, right....
I know it's funny!!!
I understand that the connection is synchronous and there should be no difference. But as I said only with MacBook Pro USB 3.0 port.
At the time I read a lot of information about this and there were people who also had similar problems.
And DSD256 clicks.
At first I thought it was because the files were on an external drive, but then I copied them to the Mac. And nothing has changed.
I tried different USB cables with the M500 - no changes.
With other devices (ADI-2, Hugo 2, HA-2 SE) there is no problem.

Albocan

On a couple of occasions, while I was playing Flacs, the sound was corrupted and a kind of squeaky noise was heard. I had to turn off the dac and turn it on again to solve the problem.
Has anyone else had that problem?

Tony333

On a couple of occasions, while I was playing Flacs, the sound was corrupted and a kind of squeaky noise was heard. I had to turn off the dac and turn it on again to solve the problem.
Has anyone else had that problem?
Yesterday I had the same problem. It happened at the same time of Audirvana+ update and at beginning I thought there was software proplem. But after reboot the problem not solved and I turn off the dac and turn it on again to solve the problem.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yesterday I had the same problem. It happened at the same time of Audirvana+ update and at beginning I thought there was software proplem. But after reboot the problem not solved and I turn off the dac and turn it on again to solve the problem.
I sometimes have excessive air sort of noise coming from the M500 DAC in USB mode (more in the left channel) when started...fixes when I cycle through inputs. No other issues so far...no clicks no drops...it's as clean as they come!

Btw, Does Audirvana+ have any advantages in SQ or features over the stock Tidal or similar streaming apps when playing through windows PC? Thanks

Tony333

Btw, Does Audirvana+ have any advantages in SQ or features over the stock Tidal or similar streaming apps when playing through windows PC? Thanks
For many years I prefer use ASIO in Windows and have used only audio devices with ASIO support. And I hear that ASIO much better. I bought Audirvana+ for windows only for listening Tidal through ASIO.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you're looking for SQ improvement, there's ZERO difference between the stock streaming apps and Audirvana. The reason I or one would use A+ is to have a one player where both local files and streaming are in one location as well as use the PC or Mac as a remote for music playback (though I never use the remote feature). Also, I have some MQA FLAC files at my HDD and Audirvana plays them flawlessly.

For many years I prefer use ASIO in Windows and have used only audio devices with ASIO support. And I hear that ASIO much better. I bought Audirvana+ for windows only for listening Tidal through ASIO.

If seeing ASIO and Audirvana on your computer screen give you a psychoacoustics of better sound then more power to you. Otherwise, you need a passing 19/20 DBT ABX Test volume matched result to prove this

Tony333

If you're looking for SQ improvement, there's ZERO difference between the stock streaming apps and Audirvana. The reason I or one would use A+ is to have a one player where both local files and streaming are in one location as well as use the PC or Mac as a remote for music playback (though I never use the remote feature). Also, I have some MQA FLAC files at my HDD and Audirvana plays them flawlessly.

If seeing ASIO and Audirvana on your computer screen give you a psychoacoustics of better sound then more power to you. Otherwise, you need a passing 19/20 DBT ABX Test volume matched result to prove this
Please read a history of ASIO.

Jhify

With Audirvana you can use VSTs like Dirac live for room correction, EQs or binauralizer for headphones listening instead of buying expensive compatible gear and save many $ I don't think the player improves quality but the plugins you can use with it do for me definitely . Give it a go.

Jhify

I sometimes have excessive air sort of noise coming from the M500 DAC in USB mode (more in the left channel) when started...fixes when I cycle through inputs. No other issues so far...no clicks no drops...it's as clean as they come!

I compared both for a long time (on mac though) and everytime I tought I could hear a difference I gave the edge to the Tidal native app. For exemple on a modern house music there's hi-hats that would go left - right and back with audirvana whereas I could feel them circling around my room with a sense of depth on the tidal player. But it could be just my imagination.. Anyway it is very subtle and now I use Audirvana all time cause Dirac live has brought a huge improvement in my system. Anyway if you don't need Audirvana's features I don't think you need it in my humble opinion.

Tony333

ASIO was made for low latency, reliable connection with Pro/Studio gear...

Back in the Windows XP days, system defaults weren't as good. Today it's a non issue.
I think you are right.
I tested RME ADI-2 PRO with bit-test and on Wasapi all tests are passed.
But M500 with Audirvana+ ASIO driver has DSD512 support, Wasapi driver shows maximum DSD256 support.
I think Wasapi use DSD only in DoP mode.

Shoaibexpert

I think you are right.
I tested RME ADI-2 PRO with bit-test and on Wasapi all tests are passed.
But M500 with Audirvana+ ASIO driver has DSD512 support, Wasapi driver shows maximum DSD256 support.
I think Wasapi use DSD only in DoP mode.
Does this mean that ASIO will render better SQ on 16/44.1 Tidal streams? I'm guessing not....but not sure...

NorthGraves

FWIW, foobar2000 + ASIO plays DSD512 just fine with a couple of plugins.
Zero issues.

2020-02-23_214133.png

dieselmilk

Ended up bringing mine to my dad's place to demo on his system with tidal on my Android. He has been anti-streaming ever since one of his buddies tried with mp3s 15 years ago and he wanted to throw up. After we ABd some CDs and masters like Donald Fagen and Norah Jones, his eyes glazed over and he couldn't believe we have the internet bandwidth to actually stream good music. He immediately asked me to order one for him and called me the night he got it saying after about 5 beers and a new tidal sub saying he has been waiting for this since he was 15 years old and just in audio heaven being able to look up all the albums he never felt like buying for one song, or explore new stuff while still listening at high quality vs using YouTube. We've spent the last week listening at the same time and just texting each other songs to listen to next, it's been a lot of fun.

I'll say, as a MUST-DO, is update your firmware to 1.08 regardless of using a Mac or Windows. The volume output is about HALF to your amp if you do not update, which is an issue we ran into with his unit the first time we hooked it up (him on Mac and me on Windows). We both listen loud and he could only get it to about 90% of his preferred volume without the update. We all know those nights where the beer doesn't stop and nothing could ruin it like music playing too quietly. The problem was immediately fixed with the updated firmware.

Happy listening.

Shoaibexpert

Great comment. So glad you and your Dad found something common in your love for high-res music streaming and the M500. Ive noticed that upgrading the USB firmware to 1.08 doesn't affect the SW version displayed on the DAD besides HW version though! Wonder how the M500's own SW can be upgraded! Im guessing you also didn't notice any degradation in SQ due to the ESS chip warming up...

jani80k

I bought the device because I was not happy with the DX3 Pro V2 which I bought before that and sent back to Amazon.
This device is everything the DX3 Pro V2 should have been and more. (Sent the DX3 Pro V2 back because of the high output impedance on the V2 vs the V1 which cause my IEMs to have no bass).
The SMSL sounds crazy good and it powers all my headphones with ease... TIN T2 (sounds great, lots of bass!), Sennheiser 58X and LCD-2C. The latter sounding the best out of the bunch, but the T2 and the 58X also not being slouches either.
I can only recommend this device to people looking for all-in-one units with great features and insanely good sound that can make pretty much any headphone sound good.

The loudest I ever crank the volume up is 15 / 40. Usually I listen at 12 or 13, but also at 10.
from 20 on the volume increases a lot with every step so this unit should be easily enough to drive all sorts of headphones.

I use Windows 10 Tidal App and set the App to take full control of the device (volume slider disable, MQA passthrough enabled).

dieselmilk

Great comment. So glad you and your Dad found something common in your love for high-res music streaming and the M500. Ive noticed that upgrading the USB firmware to 1.08 doesn't affect the SW version displayed on the DAD besides HW version though! Wonder how the M500's own SW can be upgraded! Im guessing you also didn't notice any degradation in SQ due to the ESS chip warming up...
My ear can't tell but I don't have instrumentation to test it in my case, anyway.

Edit: I've also noticed the DAC will not display the updated firmware version like you mentioned, even though there is a significant difference in volume between versions. Pretty odd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom