• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Adante AS-61 Speaker Review

Russ_L

Forum Donor
The drooping top active and broad 7K scoop is interesting. I expected this scoop to fill out off axis since Andrew Jones talks has gone on record saying he tends to prioritize off axis response. But it doesn't seem to straighten out until about 40-50 degrees.
It seems coaxial speakers have an uphill battle against the klippel and preference score. In the context of the other coaxials so far, the LS50 looks a lot stronger. Curious to see how newer KEF models like the R3 would hold up to the preference score.

EDIT: Also, very notably, Jones' own super cheap pioneer BS22 beats the Andante in the preference department, even without ignoring LFX. Not by an insignificant margin either 4.0/5.9 to 4.8/7.4 - Ouch.

It seems really hard to believe the pioneer would be better, but the measurements are indeed better, especially in the PIR department. I'd be very curious to see the blind test results between these two speakers with the pioneer in its comfort zone in terms of SPL level. One of these days the forum should organize a blind test with some of the speakers so far that are mismatched in price and build quality. It could be very revealing.

LFX, PIR, 4.0/5.9, 4.8/7.4 ??? Please elaborate. Not up on those acronyms. Thanks.

Russ

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LFX, PIR, 4.0/5.9, 4.8/7.4 ??? Please elaborate. Not up on those acronyms. Thanks.

Russ

We're talking about the preference score computed by @MZKM using Sean Olive's formula determined in a study that was able to accurately predict the preference ratings among 70 speakers with 86 percent accuracy. The acronyms are portions of the formula, broken down here. The scores themselves are available here.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you could you should get a pair of KEF:s

They sound and measure very good!:)
I think they sound good (I bought a pair as a present for my wife who uses them in her office), but they have very mediocre measurements.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to sort out the issue with SPL levels for active speakers. Once there, yes, I will need to standardize on something.

Hi imagine sort of you have good overview/plan how a transducer distortion lab will look and work be it Klippel of REW based presentatation :) but because also seen you express concerns of indoor room influences in those measurements come to think about because myself have software from APL Audio that their newest software program is a dedicated intermodulation and HD distortion suite for transducers, probably nothing special about a program that handle those subjects but try look its anti room filtering method if that can be interesting technology method in your view, myself can tell when i use their EQ software and TDA filtering method its crazy good to hit target without any excess phase deviation, below is a description of their TDA filtering from a pdf document, IIRC filter can be adjusted in 9 variable levels. Should that filtering method for indoor room measurements have interest give it a look over their website, ha ha know your AP analyzed one of their DSP boxes to not be the most beautifull numbers to hope for but maybe that software is flawless, and to be clear myself have no relation to APL Audio its just enthusiasm/passion that you and ASR get the best distortion presentation as possible and a hope that presentation is so good that it never needs to be exchanged because then easy comparison of old analyzes verse new ones goes up in smoke.

EDIT there is also a chance if Klippel software leave a wav-file in its project folder that one can ask creator at APL how to simply analyze on that wav-file, i know a bit because i can cheat their EQ and TDA measurement suites that way : )

TDA.png

Last edited:

Bear123

I need to get a comparably priced speaker as a reference for both objective and subjective comparisons. Without it, I am being a bit soft in my final stance. :)
I'd venture a guess that getting some more Revel speakers tested will help establish a good baseline for well designed speakers at various price points. I've yet to see any Revel speaker with anything less than very good measurements. Even your horizontal center channel Revel measured quite well despite its handicapped design(horizontal). Not saying that there won't be speakers that measure better, but it does seem as though *all* Revel speakers measure exceptionally well, whereas other companies seem to be hit or miss from model to model. And I am completely excluding Revel's in wall speakers as many of them look far from perfect.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We're talking about the preference score computed by @MZKM using Sean Olive's formula determined in a study that was able to accurately predict the preference ratings among 70 speakers with 86 percent accuracy. The acronyms are portions of the formula, broken down here. The scores themselves are available here.
Yeah, I wonder if I should change “ignore LFX” to “w/ subwoofer”, as while less accurate of a phrase, it’s less confusing, unless that’ll make too much work for @pozz with his master list.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
below is a description of their TDA filtering from a pdf document,
Ugh. There are quite a number of technical errors or misstatements in that document. Maybe whoever was responsible for writing it didn’t have things explained to them well enough. But it doesn’t start on a good footing to give a good feeling about the merits of the system.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
We're talking about the preference score computed by @MZKM using Sean Olive's formula determined in a study that was able to accurately predict the preference ratings among 70 speakers with 86 percent accuracy. The acronyms are portions of the formula, broken down here. The scores themselves are available here.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your response and the links.

Russ

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yeah, I wonder if I should change “ignore LFX” to “w/ subwoofer”, as while less accurate of a phrase, it’s less confusing, unless that’ll make too much work for @pozz with his master list.
It's no problem to make changes like that. If you have a final verdict let me know.

bobbooo

Major Contributor

I think "w/ ideal subwoofer" would be even better, to make clear it's the score the speaker would get if paired with a sub having flat extension down to 20 Hz, and so the maximum potential performance you could get from the speaker in an ideal scenario.

Ajp

I borrowed these speakers to test them out and I was also not a fan. I think the internal driver to passive radiator didn’t work out nearly as well in reality as it did in theory. Bass seemed bloated, slow and not nearly as impactful as it’s size would imply. It also didn’t seem to time align with the tweeter and mid very well. All in all, I was not a fan.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Hope you right R-series and the Reference series measure extremely well because so far DUT had their case in NFS, think Ron Texas told it perfect pages back quoted below :)..
The Klippel is a revelator.

Dogmeat88

@amirm Maybe if the speaker was brand-new, it may benefited from the burn-in before testing? Many speakers sound harsch right out of the box, few hours of pink noise may fix this.

Top Bottom