• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I doubt that. This isn't some silly audiophile club.

There's not a hint of mains noise, what exactly would an upgraded power cord accomplish? :facepalm:

Maybe better colour coordinated aesthetics though ....... :p:D

Nango

Major Contributor
I'll buy Chinese over Boutique any day,besides I already bought it,it'll be here Monday.

Yes, me too. No prob with that.

I was questioning only the price level, not the quality of chinese items. The JDS Atom is adequately priced and is premium quality too from well established vendor.

SMSL far away from offering the repair service, (working) warranty, manuals, that offers a well established company but it is not reflected in their prices.

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I was questioning only the price level, not the quality of chinese items. The JDS Atom is adequately priced and is premium quality too.
Was gonna get a JDS Atom,but JDS don't have the features of the SP200

Is there any preliminary information on the m400 DAC? if I understand correctly, it will have the same form factor as the SP200, and they should be a good pair

olinko

Given it is a typical chinese product I think it is way to expensive at $289, I see it more like $100 the highest. These prices nowadays are more like for a premium established mfr.
These sort of dismissals always irritate me, I know you specifically didn't mean it as most people do and I see you've elaborated on it, but the "Chinese = sub-par" equation is just ridiculous. If the SP200 said "made in the US" (=assembled there) with the same parts this has, people would pay double the price gladly

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not an expensive device, given it represents SOTA performance the price is excellent. OK you can get perfectly good headphone amplifiers for less, such as the JDS Atom and O2, but compare the price of this with Lake People, Violectric, Spl, Neve, Luxman, Meridian, Benchmark, McIntosh etc headphone amplifiers, very few of which are anything like as good as this in terms of measured performance and the SMSL is a bargain.

bequietjk

I doubt that. This isn't some silly audiophile club.

There's not a hint of mains noise, what exactly would an upgraded power cord accomplish? :facepalm:

Yes, but this is a science forum. And, there are audiophile members and guests whether you like it or not.

Seeking to accomplish better conductivity using better AC connectors with copper material rather than brass. Simple. Then take $20 of 50ft/12awg copper wire and bind them babies up. As JohnYang said. A more robust design.

FourT6and2

Yes, but this is a science forum. And, there are audiophile members and guests whether you like it or not.

Seeking to accomplish better conductivity using better AC connectors with copper material rather than brass. Simple. Then take $20 of 50ft/12awg copper wire and bind them babies up. As JohnYang said. A more robust design.

Brass? You're saying the power cable that comes with this product uses BRASS wire instead of copper? Or you're talking about the actual metal tabs/connectors that plug into the socket?

Last edited:

bequietjk

Oh, FourT6, you should not have grazed over my comment to so hastily bark out. Not once did i mention 'wire' in my post.

FourT6and2

Oh, FourT6, you should not have grazed over my comment to so hastily bark out. Not once did i mention 'wire' in my post.

Oh bequiet, you should not have grazed over MY comment to so hastily bark out. I clearly asked TWO questions. Please read my second one. ;)

bequietjk

Look I'm not trying to start a fire. Just trying to help others in the decision making process and pointing out details to consider.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Look I'm not trying to start a fire. Just trying to help others in the decision making process and pointing out details to consider.
Upgrading power chord should NOT be a detail to consider for anyone!
Every BS myth are not welcome here, whether you like it or not.
How would you defend, technically, the point of an upgraded power cable?
How on earth copper for power plugs would change anything to the performance?

bequietjk

VintageFlanker, the point I'm trying to make..

A) For those looking to make this purchase and use the more hefty and stout AC power cords, this amp weighing in at 772g(1.7lbs) may not like it. There are plenty of people including myself who like to create their own cables.

B) A light google search of the conductivity of copper (based on science, or some form of scientific process) goes to show it is superior to brass.

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun here and haven't discovered what the common/traditional metal type is used to create the majority of black AC power cables out there. As far as I know they are not copper because that would ramp cost up. Pretty sure it's something less than copper, anyway. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong!

Nobody likes BS myths. I get it. I'm sure you guys are tired of getting that here because this is a science based, measurement/statistic driven community for the most part. For me, I'm tired of getting flamed on and having people place their BS assumptions into my lap. The only myth is the one you have created, Sir. Or Ms. Whatever it is.

bequietjk

The built in psu is nice but for something that weighs very little and having a AC IEC cable which is pretty hefty on it's own, I think I would have preferred a regular 2.1 x 5.5 dc plug input for this configuration.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure you guys are tired of getting that here because this is a science based, measurement/statistic driven community for the most part.
You got it right.;)

A) For those looking to make this purchase and use the more hefty and stout AC power cords, this amp weighing in at 772g(1.7lbs) may not like it. There are plenty of people including myself who like to create their own cables.
Alright. I also create my own cables'

B) A light google search of the conductivity of copper (based on science, or some form of scientific process) goes to show it is superior to brass.
Well, that's cute.;)

More seriously: That doesn't answer my question at all. I guess you know conductivity basically reduces resistance. If you're dealing with more brass, the resistance will be the same. Every decently designed Power plug have enough material quantity to drive all the current needed for any gear. So again: how copper would improve performance of electronic?

haven't discovered what the common/traditional metal type is used to create the majority of black AC power cables out there. As far as I know they are not copper because that would ramp cost up. Pretty sure it's something less than copper, anyway. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong!
Copper is neither some rare or expensive metal at all. It is a pretty common conductor used everywhere in many electric cables for decades. Only Audiophile industry is trying to make you believe it's a fancy material.

Last edited:

bequietjk

Honestly this got way more personal than intended, lol.

Take care, Vintage.

Rather see more comments regarding the SP200.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Honestly this got way more personal than intended, lol. .

I didn't see it get personal, I think he was just trying to figure out what you were talking about...and, by extension help any others that might have been confused. I'm still a little confused about the brass cable thing myself... That's ok. I get confused easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom