• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

Andyet

For some users here the sub volume is a problem while others (me included) find it behaves correctly in their setup. There are many variables involved, it's difficult to say who is right. Sabaj released a single firmware update in fall 2022, after that nothing.
How i can check speakers and sub volume in my device? There is some programs?

totti1965

Thank you, I think I will bite the bullet and order the Sabaj, going to be interesting comparing the Sabaj to the old-school Naim amp.

Edit: Ordered for 445$ using code "DIEGO" for 5$ off, lets hope it comes without any taxes since I chose shipping from Germany warehouse.
Is this link here a scam?
I don‘t believe it is serious!

Roland68

Major Contributor
Is this link here a scam?
I don‘t believe it is serious!
Whenever a shop only accepts unsecured payment methods, you can assume that it is a scam.
A second indicator is unrealistic prices/discounts. These products do not have a high profit margin and no retailer will sponsor you any part of a product.
The fact is, if it's too cheap to be true and has no insurance, then it's a fake.
By the way, there are thousands of these shops, including in Germany.

totti1965

Whenever a shop only accepts unsecured payment methods, you can assume that it is a scam.
A second indicator is unrealistic prices/discounts. These products do not have a high profit margin and no retailer will sponsor you any part of a product.
The fact is, if it's too cheap to be true and has no insurance, then it's a fake.
By the way, there are thousands of these shops, including in Germany.
Hi Roland,

Nice to see, that we differ just 3 years and 30 km. It is a small world!

Thorsten

totti1965

When a friend recently visited me with his new WiiM AMP and then compared it with the Sabaj A30a, it became clear to me that the difference between this amplifier and other concepts/devices is greater than you might think.

I may have expressed myself a little unclearly and revised the text.

A recent visit from a friend with his new WiiM AMP and subsequent comparison with the Sabaj A30a made us think about different amplifier technologies/concepts.

It became clear to me that the difference between the Sabaj A30a and other concepts/amplifiers is greater than you might think.
The fed-in digital signal is only processed digitally until it is converted via PWM. Any influences, especially on the analog side, such as common D/A conversion with DAC chips and OPAmps, preamplifier, small signal switching, small signal processing/amplification, power supply small signal processing, volume control (pots, ICs, resistors, etc.), several amplification stages in Amp, time shifts in the analog signal, etc. are not present on the A30a.
Apart from the analog input, there are only influences on the digital side before PWM processing.

This is actually a very minimalist and completely digital design (especially from an analog point of view), which only enters the analog world with the two STA516B.
Hi,
I immeadeatly edit / copy your post and send it to two friends of mine. One in Bad Godesberg and one in Cologne Ehrenfeld.
Perhaps you can invite me / us when you do your next shootout. We have Fosi V 3 - SMSL D6s - 3 heavily modified Sonos Streamers etc.
In our unscientific approach the D-6s lacks the qualities of an older Parasound DAC and an older Cambridge with Philips TDA 1541 Converter….
But… of course: it was not blind-testing…….
Perhaps your Sabaj A 30a can kill all our DAC-Stuff…..

Thorsten

totti1965

Is the Sabaj A 30a more a kind of a SMSL VMV A 2 - if yes, I am heavily interested in a comparison with my Fosi V3 -
- or is it more a kind of a SMSL SA 400 clone?
The SINAD Differences are about 12.5 to 13 dB!
Are there any comparisons between the devices with open casing cover??? Fotos???

I am interested in Full Digital Amlifiers since I have read a Posting of Roland68.
Do you guys know any more / perhaps more expensive examples of this kind of amplifiers?

Am I right that the switching frequency of the powersuplies of these amps is exactly 44100 Hz or 88200 Hz or 176400 Hz or 352800 Hz, because the D/ A Conversion is just at the very end of the chain?

That would sound logical for me - and perhaps these kind of amps sound clearer than conventional Class D amps.

So many questions……

thorsten

Roland68

Major Contributor
Is the Sabaj A 30a more a kind of a SMSL VMV A 2 - if yes, I am heavily interested in a comparison with my Fosi V3 -
- or is it more a kind of a SMSL SA 400 clone?
The SINAD Differences are about 12.5 to 13 dB!
Are there any comparisons between the devices with open casing cover??? Fotos???

I am interested in Full Digital Amlifiers since I have read a Posting of Roland68.
Do you guys know any more / perhaps more expensive examples of this kind of amplifiers?

Am I right that the switching frequency of the powersuplies of these amps is exactly 44100 Hz or 88200 Hz or 176400 Hz or 352800 Hz, because the D/ A Conversion is just at the very end of the chain?

That would sound logical for me - and perhaps these kind of amps sound clearer than conventional Class D amps.

So many questions……

thorsten
SMSL, Sabaj and Loxjie belong to some kind of consortium, and many devices appear to be joint developments, or developments are made available between each other.

VMV A2 and A30a are very comparable and so far I can say that they share many components. The same STA516BE amplifier chips, Axign AX5689, DDX chip STA309A, ADC chip PCM1804, USB XMOS XU208 and the same power supply. The SRC Bridge CT7302SL is probably also used in the VMV A2, or something similar. Menu items are also very similar.
Overall, there isn't much room for differences.

There are two differences in the connections. While the A30a has separate connections for SPDIF coax and sub out, the VMV A2 has a common connection for SPDIF coax and sub out (i.e. either/or), but also an AES input.

The power supply used is a standard SMPS from Mornsun.
The data sheet for: LOF350-20B48

This type of amplifiers are based on the Axign AX5689 controller IC. Just search for it, there are a handful of amplifiers with the IC.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
I
I tried the 26-11-2022 version of the file provided. I used the 22-09-2022 version of the app to write the file, and used REW software to see if the subwoofer volume was linear, but unfortunately it was still loudness corrected.

The attached image shows the frequency response as measured by REW. The volume of the A30a was set to 35, 40, and 45, respectively, and the output on the REW side was set to 0, -5dB, and -10dB, respectively.

As a result, the sound pressure levels were perfectly matched in the band above 100 Hz, but there was a difference in sound pressure below 100 Hz, with the A30a volume 35 being the highest and decreasing as it increased to 40 and 45.

View attachment 293485
Other adjustments under what input are the test results obtained: for example, BASS volume EQ BASS signal frequency

I just tested that everything is normal from 35 to 45 when the subwoofer volume gradually increased and did not decrease
I tested the adjustment when Bluetooth/coaxial /AUX input, EQ is OFF BASS volume is -15db bass signal frequency is 70 BASS signal frequency is 0

I tried to change different conditions but this state did not happen.

Received my Sabaj A30a yesterday and now I finally hooked it up and was immediately disappointed, loud white noise constantly even on 0 volume and on every input, tried usb, bluetooth and OPT, noise only stops when I press mute. Firmware 1.12, any tips what might be causing it?

Edit: I have tried another power cable and using an external DAC with RCA, no difference, the loud noise is constant even without any input cables connected, have messaged Hifi-Express for advice. The amp seems to work otherwise fine, powers on normally and all the menus work and so on.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Received my Sabaj A30a yesterday and now I finally hooked it up and was immediately disappointed, loud white noise constantly even on 0 volume and on every input, tried usb, bluetooth and OPT, noise only stops when I press mute. Firmware 1.12, any tips what might be causing it?

Edit: I have tried another power cable and using an external DAC with RCA, no difference, the loud noise is constant even without any input cables connected, have messaged Hifi-Express for advice. The amp seems to work otherwise fine, powers on normally and all the menus work and so on.
Unfortunately, this is not normal.
If it is independent of the input, then unfortunately your A30a has a fundamental problem...

Unfortunately, this is not normal.
If it is independent of the input, then unfortunately your A30a has a fundamental problem...
Yes, I am starting to think its a hardware problem so time to talk with Hifi-Express about returning it, such a shame since I had very high expectations for the amp itself.

Toku

Major Contributor

That's clearly abnormal.

Is there anything connected to the speaker terminals other than the cable from the speaker? A speaker switch cannot be connected.
Are the negative terminals connected to each other at some point in the speaker wiring?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Yes, I am starting to think its a hardware problem so time to talk with Hifi-Express about returning it, such a shame since I had very high expectations for the amp itself.
Please do a reset, last item in the menu.
After the reset, switch off the device at the back, pull out the mains plug, switch it on without the mains plug, press the volume control once, switch off the device and switch it on again with the mains plug.

That's clearly abnormal.

Is there anything connected to the speaker terminals other than the cable from the speaker? A speaker switch cannot be connected.
Are the negative terminals connected to each other at some point in the speaker wiring?
No, only speaker cables with banana plugs, no speaker switches or anything like that. I have now returned to my previous setup of Naim amp and SMSL DAC and everything works as it should.

Please do a reset, last item in the menu.
After the reset, switch off the device at the back, pull out the mains plug, switch it on without the mains plug, press the volume control once, switch off the device and switch it on again with the mains plug.
I did try the reset but not the whole procedure as you wrote, the soft reset itself did nothing. I will wait for Hifi-Express reply and then try your procedure as a last resort.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I did try the reset but not the whole procedure as you wrote, the soft reset itself did nothing. I will wait for Hifi-Express reply and then try your procedure as a last resort.
As a last resort, you can flash the firmware again.
It's probably digital noise, as the only analog entry point would be amplifier chips/feedback.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Do these have a DSP in them<?>
The STA309A has DSP functionality, but of course something could also come in via the SRC Bridge CT7302SL.

Top Bottom