• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 363 76.3%

• Total voters

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Can I just chip in with something?

No criticism of anyone else, and I appreciate differences in taste, but I love the idea of monoblock power amps. I've always thought they had an ultra-high end feel to them; indeed, I've always thought separate pre and power amps had a deluxe feel to them, and separating the stereo power amp into two monos showed you'd really arrived.

If Fosi had released a stereo version of this at the same time, even if it were $20 less, I think I'd still go for the monos.

Sorry, that's maybe just me.

daniboun

Major Contributor
If it was fine tuning inductor and component values, shouldn't it be done in the first place already ? Can you please share technical details how this was improved ? What are the chances of re-reviewing final version ?
thanks and regards.

Relevant question, especially since TI shared a list of inductors and related performance
It's a shame that few manufacturers are interested in it....
Custom 360 was a pioneer in this area! and I think it's the only one...

index.php

index.php

Multicore

Major Contributor
The only reason I can see for needing that is to drive a sub, and then you're going to need to low pass it too so you still need something separate.
I thought this was indicative of the mono-revival fashion sweeping the hipster consumers. Sometimes dreams are better than the reality you awake to, said the man who thought he might have been a butterfly.

V.b.

It is very clean compared Aiyima A70, but still, there is a large drop in single ended vs balanced performance. Around 6db.

It probably is from op amp circuit, but, if I have to guess, it is not the op amp itself but the socket.

Which brings me to an old complaint: why do we, the majority that does not mess with them, have to live with a socket with a potentially not perfect contact. Maybe the manufacturers should just solder them in place and run a limited edition with socketed ones for the audiophiles.

It is not that important for this amplifier, as I am sure that the balanced input sidesteps the op amp, but if you want to use it for a subwoofer and usually you have a single ended output for a subwoofer, then you loose 6db.

V

Multicore

Major Contributor
sure.

No criticism of anyone else, and I appreciate differences in taste, but I love the idea of monoblock power amps. I've always thought they had an ultra-high end feel to them; indeed, I've always thought separate pre and power amps had a deluxe feel to them, and separating the stereo power amp into two monos showed you'd really arrived.
sounds to me like you're attracted to the luxury and prestige of that gear. if so, i know what you mean.

If Fosi had released a stereo version of this at the same time, even if it were $20 less, I think I'd still go for the monos.
do you think this little box would adequately scratch that luxury itch?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a totally academic concern really, but the 30kHz 3dB peak may well not matter, but as some here will regard this as a higher end product due to the otherwise good performance and partner this amp with speakers using metal dome tweeters with *massive* peaks around this frequency already (KEF, B&W and others), any source noise would be magnified even more perhaps?

Like I said, an academic concern only, but I'd rather the response rolled away gently over 20kHz myself if it can't stay flat at these frequencies....
Look at the new plot posted by FOSI - no peak.

Sokel

Master Contributor

You maybe haven't realized the size:

size.PNG

You can hold it in your hand,easily, and you have to be careful with the cabling as they can drag it down,it weights only about a kilo.

Maybe a mini desk rack as the ones we see around?

(what kind of speakers is that with the tweeter bolted on the baffle and not flush-mounted? Rendering? )

Last edited:

PlasticDoc

Stereo version should be promising )
Now, to be honest I would wait for the O-NOORUS D1 PFFB Stereo amp with :
- PRE OUT
- Subwoofer
- Volume Control Potentiometer / Bypass mode
- Tone Control (bass / treble) / Tone bypass
- Remote control
- Digital front panel display
O-NOORUS: I didn't know this brand, are they reliable?

Last edited:

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This would defeat the purpose of mono blocks which is being able to keep them close to speakers with shorter speaker wire.
I'm sure they will sell a bundle with two power supplies, but will be optional.

Kegemusha

Just read this from the company in their message to me when the amp was sent:

"....That single 48V/10A psu can power the two sets of v3 mono simultaneously."
So a single PSU to connect 2 x V3monos, how it is done? Is a fork at the end to have the 2 connections? Any pics of the PSU end connection?

Tell

Why? Would you get a pair of mono DACs as well if there where any? Mono DSPs? Mono streamers? How far would you go for that ultra-high end feel? :)
Personally I don't see any reason whatsoever to buy a monoblock unless it's for a sub.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? Would you get a pair of mono DACs as well if there where any? Mono DSPs? Mono streamers? How far would you go for that ultra-high end feel? :)
Personally I don't see any reason whatsoever to buy a monoblock unless it's for a sub.
Doesn't seem like you understand what is occurring with a mono block amp or you just are being, "All that."

Tell

Doesn't seem like you understand what is occurring with a mono block amp or you just are being, "All that."
What is occurring with two mono blocks that's not occurring with a stereo block?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You maybe haven't realized the size:

View attachment 360847

(what kind of speakers is that with the tweeter bolted on the baffle and not flush-mounted? Rendering? )

Yes, it is a rendering, most probably—look at the components. None of them are real. This looks like it could be AI-generated artwork.

mike70

many people claiming against monoblock amp ... and the argument is always the same, it doesn't improve the sound, so, why use that instead to a stereo amp.
Yes, generally is in that way.

But, for people who wants to use monoblocks ... where they will find a pair with decent performance at that price?
Do you understand that is a few bucks over the stereo option?
So, why complain and complain about the decisions of other people if they know what they are doing?

i understand to complain about the normal "audiophile" silly decision to buy an Accuphase at 10k thinking it have the "end of the world" performance. Because it's not.
If that person buys the Acupphase because knows about it, have the money and want it, it's ok.

so, IMHO ... live and let live. People knows the monoblock won't be "night and day" with the stereo version, but is only a few bucks more and we want it for different reasons.
in my case, i like the idea to have very short speaker cables and long XLR signal cables. That's why i want the monoblock. You don't? It's ok for me :)

Tell

many people claiming against monoblock amp ... and the argument is always the same, it doesn't improve the sound, so, why use that instead to a stereo amp.
Yes, generally is in that way.

But, for people who wants to use monoblocks ... where they will find a pair with decent performance at that price?
Do you understand that is a few bucks over the stereo option?
So, why complain and complain about the decisions of other people if they know what they are doing?

i understand to complain about the normal "audiophile" silly decision to buy an Accuphase at 10k thinking it have the "end of the world" performance. Because it's not.
If that person buys the Acupphase because knows about it, have the money and want it, it's ok.

so, IMHO ... live and let live. People knows the monoblock won't be "night and day" with the stereo version, but is only a few bucks more and we want it for different reasons.
in my case, i like the idea to have very short speaker cables and long XLR signal cables. That's why i want the monoblock. You don't? It's ok for me :)
Well I was asking because I'm curious, not to complain, and if there was any difference from having mono DACs (if there where any) etc.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I someone wants stereo,get a Modushop 2U case with heatshinks and bolt each of the monos on each heatshink .
You can also hide the bricks in there.

Win-win :p

Top Bottom