• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 4C Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 22.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 74.2%

• Total voters

exm

3 inches?

Maybe this helps?

IMG_1729.jpg

mmshah

These are heavily discounted at KEF right now.

mmshah

Go to speakers and then specials.

mmshah

Anyone using these as L/R what are you using as a plinth?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are heavily discounted at KEF right now.

I kinda forgot that these cost as much as my entire home cinema setup combined.

JD_Spoon

Anyone using these as L/R what are you using as a plinth?
I am using them as an LCR trio with fantastic results. For the center, I have it on a pair of isoAcoustics Aperta 200 stands to get it angled properly, For the L/R pair, I have a custom pair of stands that a woodworker associate of mine put together for me for a modest cost. Those are also on isoAcoustics Gaia II feet, again, mostly for fine-tuning the angling and leveling on my not-quite-even floors. If anyone is interested, I can cough up a schematic diagram for the stands.

Ignore the sliders, they're just in temporarily until we can install the last bits of the AV rack and reposition the speaker. As for the /r/tvtoohigh crowd, the installers refused to put a swing-down mount on the mantel due to the facade weakness, and the seats in the room all recline, so your comments will be preemptively ignored.

Attachments

• 20240428_194330.jpg
    20240428_194330.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240428_194317.jpg
    20240428_194317.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240428_194306.jpg
    20240428_194306.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240322_094922.jpg
    20240322_094922.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

mmshah

I am using them as an LCR trio with fantastic results. For the center, I have it on a pair of isoAcoustics Aperta 200 stands to get it angled properly, For the L/R pair, I have a custom pair of stands that a woodworker associate of mine put together for me for a modest cost. Those are also on isoAcoustics Gaia II feet, again, mostly for fine-tuning the angling and leveling on my not-quite-even floors. If anyone is interested, I can cough up a schematic diagram for the stands.

Ignore the sliders, they're just in temporarily until we can install the last bits of the AV rack and reposition the speaker. As for the /r/tvtoohigh crowd, the installers refused to put a swing-down mount on the mantel due to the facade weakness, and the seats in the room all recline, so your comments will be preemptively ignored.
Thanks for the pics looks great, will definitely try to do something similar. Few questions, How high is the front and back of the speaker stand get off the ground? I am concerned about the tweeter height thou the angle up should help. I was told by the KEF rep that one side of the speaker is unfinished which side is that? Also do the little rubber feet for horizontal use come off?

JD_Spoon

Thanks for the pics looks great, will definitely try to do something similar. Few questions, How high is the front and back of the speaker stand get off the ground? I am concerned about the tweeter height thou the angle up should help. I was told by the KEF rep that one side of the speaker is unfinished which side is that? Also do the little rubber feet for horizontal use come off?
The front base of the speaker should be approximately six inches off the ground, plus or minus maybe a quarter inch, depending on how the feet are set up. I didn't measure the rear height, but the stand is built with an approximately 3-degree slope from front to rear. The angle was calculated to get me into the main beam of the vertical directivity based on my listening distance of twelve feet, if you're deviating significantly, you'd want to recalculate the angle to fit. I've since moved the couch a foot closer, but the vertical directivity is sufficiently wide that I and several other listeners agree that there is no discernable difference in listening tests from either position. Regarding what the rep told you, that does not align with my experience. All four sides and the back are a high gloss veneer, so unless he's talking about the front being aluminum, I'm not sure what he's referring to by unfinished. I think some of these may qualify as B stock, there were one or two imperfections in my center channel, as @amirm called out in the review. The feet are removable, I knocked one of them off sliding it into the stand and it did not mar the finish.

Attachments

• Speaker stands mockups.JPG
    Speaker stands mockups.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 2

laurelkurt

Forum Donor

Nice! What ceiling speakers are those?

Top Bottom