• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Lab

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Super* already has the May measured in analog, USB-C and USB-C+VSDF EQ. The last looks closer to a Blessing 3 than Aria 2/Kato.

View attachment 333695
Interestingly the 2pin and USB C graphs are IDENTICAL- which seems improbable but also implies that there is a "DSP off" setting (or possibly the default?) in the USB configuration

markanini

Major Contributor
Interestingly the 2pin and USB C graphs are IDENTICAL- which seems improbable but also implies that there is a "DSP off" setting (or possibly the default?) in the USB configuration
He said on Discord he just measured the response without the Moondrop app installed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He said on Discord he just measured the response without the Moondrop app installed.
Suppose I assumed that any DSP headphone ships with some DSP enabled by default whether you have the app installed or not (like the Jiu).

But that said, I still struggle to believe that you can measure the same IEM twice and get an identical FR- even if you do multiple measurements and average.

otseiTiesto

I was curious about FR without EQ in analog, and came out natural this

View attachment 333726
in this condition I think I would prefer the Hola :cool:

Additionally the distortion of the "CHU II" (orange) and "7Hz Zero" (pinkish violet) is close to May's THD (green), I have not added "Hola", but I think its THD is only a bit higher.
Chu2_vs_May THD.png

mc.god

Additionally the distortion of the "CHU II" (orange) and "7Hz Zero" (pinkish violet) is close to May's THD (green), I have not added "Hola", but I think its THD is only a bit higher.
View attachment 333753

Hola's THD graph on official site seems to say so

Schermata a 2023-12-12 22-52-14.png

I'd like to see them measured.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Just got my CHU IIs today, on first listen, very nice, now I need to compare more closely with the original CHUs...

I will say, I like the fit of the original CHUs a lot better - with spring eartips and without use of the plastic wireguides. The cable on the CHU II is flashier but I don't love the over-ear feeling of the cable. And even the widest tip feels like it is a bit loose in my ear. May try the leftover tips from the original CHU.

otseiTiesto

Blorg

Suppose I assumed that any DSP headphone ships with some DSP enabled by default whether you have the app installed or not (like the Jiu).

But that said, I still struggle to believe that you can measure the same IEM twice and get an identical FR- even if you do multiple measurements and average.
You can get very close if you are very careful with insertion depth. Some IEMs are easier to get a consistent result, some are virtually impossible. In general though as they seal and the only variable is the insertion depth it is a lot easier to get consistent results with IEMs vs headphones, at least on a 711 which is a simple metal tube that is easy to seal perfectly (more difficult on a coupler with a pinna). This is VERY close but not necessarily impossible. If you pixel peep the measurements they are different, it's not the exact same file. Would need to know from Super what exactly each represents, when they are that similar it's likely the IEM was measured without being removed from the coupler (although swapping cables usually does shift it enough to make some difference in the treble). Would be interested in an explanation of what they mean.

Looks great in both modes though, good to get it close in the analog and just need small tweaks. For me, this looks a lot better than the Hola, the Hola is relatively too dark and muffled sounding, it's one of the weaker $20-30 options IMO. I want a bit less than Harman IE but Hola pulls it back a bit too much. If you were very sensitive to highs though could be a good pick.

markanini

Major Contributor
Would need to know from Super what exactly each represents, when they are that similar it's likely the IEM was measured without being removed from the coupler (although swapping cables usually does shift it enough to make some difference in the treble). Would be interested in an explanation of what they mean.
2-pin used a third party Moondrop K-line cable. The rest used the provided USB-C cable, "PEQ no gain" without any EQ presets loaded in the Moondrop link app.

Blorg

2-pin used a third party Moondrop K-line cable. The rest used the provided USB-C cable, "PEQ no gain" without any EQ presets loaded in the Moondrop link app.
Thanks for that. I suspect he swapped the cable leaving the IEM in the coupler. I'd expect the USB-C cable with no EQ applied to match a flat analog cable pretty exactly, the only variable would be insertion.

markanini

Major Contributor
Thanks for that. I suspect he swapped the cable leaving the IEM in the coupler. I'd expect the USB-C cable with no EQ applied to match a flat analog cable pretty exactly, the only variable would be insertion.
Sound reasonable to me. The LR averaging also smooths the graph out a bit when you compare more than one set.

Dazerdoreal

I have a question about this EQ function of the Moondrop DSP cable. I have read you are not able to enter frequencies above 10000hz.
Does this mean that the DSP ignores these frequencies completely or that you just cannot enter higher numbers?

What if I used a very wide filter like "Q 0.5" at 10000hz? I think if used smartly I would still be able to EQ the upper frequencies then.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question about this EQ function of the Moondrop DSP cable. I have read you are not able to enter frequencies above 10000hz.
Does this mean that the DSP ignores these frequencies completely or that you just cannot enter higher numbers?

What if I used a very wide filter like "Q 0.5" at 10000hz? I think if used smartly I would still be able to EQ the upper frequencies then.
I can't tell you what actual impact it has on the signal but if I put a 10k q0.05 filter in there, it let's me apply it so guessing it does its job either side of 10k.

If I try the same at 11k it fails to apply and says can only work between x and y (40 and 10000?) frequencies.

Blorg

You can, yes, you can apply wide band EQ at 10kHz and it will affect the frequencies both sides. I've measured that, it definitely affects what happens above 10kHz. This is with the FreeDSP cable, I don't have the May. But from what I can see, it's the same cable, same hardware and EQ, you just get a few extra presets in the app with the May.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more curious about the DSP version, after having great experience with Tancjims competing product, One DSP.
I would rather have the Chu 2 DSP than the Chu 2 regular. For the extra £2 or so its a bit of a no brainer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather have the Chu 2 DSP than the Chu 2 regular. For the extra £2 or so its a bit of a no brainer.
@markanini I should have said I DO have the Chu2 DSP. Works just fine. I dont use the DSP presets- got my own for the Chu 2. Would be plenty to power other more challenging IEM too- I have it at casual levels at -25dB.

OnLyTNT

I've just got Chu 2, currently wearing while writing this. It is one of the best fitting and comfortable among the others I must say, especially the cables around my ears feel like tailored for me. It provides very good seal. As my first impression overall sound is damn close to Zero 2, very good bass extension, just a bit better treble response. Chu 2 can be very much preferable against Zero 2 if it does measure well.

Top Bottom