• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 87.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

sfdoddsy

I'm surprised a 3" full range speaker did not test well, even one designed by this subject! /sarc off

Few things in audio bring as much joy as seeing one of this subject's designs burning alive at the stake screaming for mercy. Let me explain. About 25 years ago this designer "cut his teeth" by publicly ripping, allegedly finding the most grotesque flaws (per himself, a neutral observer.../sarc off) in a speaker marketed by a then-popular competitor with a sales website at the same audio forum. Then the subject re-designed the xo and quadrupled performance of course, charging the speaker owner practically nothing because the subject knows only the most pure charity.

The owners of that forum had to rewrite the rules to specifically forbid such practice. The subject would apparently have us believe his idea was normal, standard marketing practice. He still uses this same marketing technique for his own products daily at his YT page. The subject has perfected his pathetic caricature of the friendly Southern (TX) used jalopy salesman who would never hurt a fly. Think Hitchcock's Psycho Norman Bates with the blanket wrapped around himself, hearing his mother's voice, in custody for double murder: "I'll show them; I won't even swat this fly on my hand..."
I'm astonished people think this speaker is worth a 53 page thread, especially given the source.

Like yourself I have vivid memories of Mr Ritchie's theories through various DIY forums over the years, as well as a few direct interactions with him when this coincided with my interests (mostly open baffle speakers).

Said theories were basically bollocks.

Last time I checked (a few years ago) he still had fervent acolytes at his AC forum. I think they are deluded, but I guess no more so than those who think plonking any kind of full range driver is a valid solution.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I'm astonished people think this speaker is worth a 53 page thread, especially given the source.

Like yourself I have vivid memories of Mr Ritchie's theories through various DIY forums over the years, as well as a few direct interactions with him when this coincided with my interests (mostly open baffle speakers).

Said theories were basically bollocks.

Last time I checked (a few years ago) he still had fervent acolytes at his AC forum. I think they are deluded, but I guess no more so than those who think plonking any kind of full range driver is a valid solution.
Fairly easy to keep a thread going when so many people are chiming in with their opinion.

I just wish people took a second to consider the situation, for one we got a business trying to sell you something and that’s basically survival on the line. Which in turn means they will say anything and even try to come off as objective to satisfy all parties who might be interested.

Then you got Amir who is doing nothing more than measuring and listening, providing his feedback and opinion. Even ways to improve certain faults that maybe found.

I know it’s hard to believe, but honestly for little to almost nothing ASR, Audioholics, Erin and partially Golden Sound has helped me create world class systems.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The DIYAudio Fullrange forum is pretty flaky too. I got my start in DIY there though! Thankfully I moved on to better and multiple drivers, crossover simulation software and proper measurement.
Well, I mean, the fun thing about "full range" (extended range) drivers is that the approach lowers the bar tremendously to folks who want to play around but have limited skills - or perhaps even limited motivation/gumption. That'd be me! ;)

I have fiddled with extended range drivers for a long time. There's a superficial elegance to a single driver (and its box) doing all of the work, rather than those power-wasting capacitors, resistors, and chokes -- but, truth is, 'we' play all sorts of games* to substitute mechanical devices for electrical ones. Not sure the end result is really all that elegant.

I still have boxes full of "full range" drivers -- albeit no exotic/expensive ones. :)

Oh, and a final thought. The simple open baffle popularized decades ago by Joseph Esmilla's blog, coupled with a good extended range (or coaxial) driver is about as good as it gets in terms of "full ranger"-hood, I'd opine. ;) Heck, I'd still like to snag a pair of the too-expensive vintage Zenith AlNiCo 12" drivers ("49CZ..." family) to play with -- but that ship has sailed, at least in terms of the value proposition of those drivers.

OBplan.jpg

1688041115150.png

Last edited:

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
This is a very interesting read, and I imagine that it is difficult for some readers to figure out "who is right" here. Without going into the findings for this particular loudspeaker, I think that one thing to look out for is whether or not the manufacturer seems to be 'infering generality from specifics'. For example, are they making some good loudspeakers and from that concluding that they are experts in modelling and measurements, or is it the other way around.

If you take KEF or Revel as an example, they have great white papers, you can follow what they are trying to achieve and why, and they show how well it works in the end via measurements. They happen to make loudspeakers, but their approach would allow them to switch into doing other products. Now, you may not like their sound as much as your own loudspeaker on a subjetive level, but you can still follow how they ended up with their product with a bottom-up approach. They are doing real research on a more general basis (although aimed towards loudspeakers) and then applying it to a particular type of product (loudspeakers) downstream.

To me, Danny is doing the opposite. He has designed some loudspeakers that seemingly perform well (and perhaps some duds also), and then infering from that, that he knows a lot about signal processing, transductance principles, measurements, and so on. However, many hobbyist can build speakers to a similar level and they can often have a good understanding of the underlying physics. Danny does not have white papers or any other publications to back up his claims, but he has his videos. So, you can instead dissect his videos, and you will quickly be able to poke holes in his reasoning. For example, he up- and downplays the importance of measurements, depending on whether someone critics his own loudspeakers, or if he is the one modifying a loudspeaker crossover from another loudspeaker company. Also, he will throw out ridiculus claims with total confidence, such as the Klippel NFS being just an averaging-machine (or something to that effect), which shows a complete lack of knowledge about spherical harmonics and multipoles. It would be much better to just state that he does not know these things, but he embraces his own intuition about it as facts. He is infering having general knowledge based on making some very specific products, completely overlooking his many unknown unknowns. There will be no way of convincing him of this, of course, so that should not be the aim for anyone.

As a consumer, what you need to consider is whether or not you will be happier with the specifics (the loudspeaker) if you know that the generalities (the overall knowledge/science behind making the product) are of a high quality also, or if you don't care. That is up to anyone to figure out for themselves. For me, the science behind the product counts, just as the looks count, but for others it is all about the sound and their subjective experience, and that is fine.

But if you more consider yourself a student of sorts, trying to learn the generalities (the signal processing, the acoustics, the structural mechanics, transductance principles, optimization), you really need to be careful with listening to YouTube video. Very often, the explanitions are too simplified or just plain wrong, and that is where it is becomes problematic. Sifting through that information is difficult without having some formal training, and many just regurgitate what they have heard their 'gurus' say. One bad sign to look for, is if they never refer to any journal papers or books, or if they always refer to the same loudspeaker cookbook as their 'bible'. You cannot learn all of the necessary general topics by studying these books aimed at the specific product. Something as seemingly simple as which way the loudspeaker cone moves is constantly being stated incorrectly, and you will see subwoofer companies saying in their videos that as the cone moves outwards is sees only the impedance of the room, and as it moves inwards, it sees only the impedance of the box, which is of course utter nonsense. But their products are good, so they are again infering generality from specifics, without understanding that their products work IN SPITE of their knowledge, not because of it. And that goes for other companies than loudspeaker companies, where many engineers have build their initution via analogy and not via first principles, leading to huge issues and missed deadlines.

It would be really great if more companies would show how they actually do their research and product development, going through the modelling stages with lumped modelling, simulation work, measurements, and the iterative process between these. It would give a more nuanced look at what actually goes into making a loudspeaker for some companies. Have for example a look at Purifi's latest blog post (https://purifi-audio.com/blog/tech-notes-1/spk16-reference-design-12) and see how differently they approach engineering than GR "Research". Here, there is a clear research path leading to a product with measurements that speak for themselves, no downtalking about how others do this, and also journal papers so that academic peers have actually overseen some of the work. So if you are trying to learn, please seek out the proper channels.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Rene - you really need to be careful with listening to YouTube video. Very often, the explanations are too simplified or just plain wrong, and that is where it is becomes problematic. Sifting through that information is difficult without having some formal training, and many just regurgitate what they have heard their 'gurus' say. One bad sign to look for, is if they never refer to any journal papers or books, or if they always refer to the same loudspeaker cookbook as their 'bible'.

I absolutely agree. To sum it up in my own broad brush way is that people don't know what they don't know! Also, they get just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Also I would like to add to your excellent post that people read or watch a YouTube video or talk to a friend who is "into audio" and tells them something that may be true in some situations and they apply it too their situation in which it doesn't work at all. Then their is misapplication of Amirs fantastic free testing he does. People still see a big SINAD number and immediately think that is the best piece of equipment in the world. Amir has said that after 95 to 100 SINAD it really doesn't matter for a music listener. Yet people look at that number as the holy grail of audio. So, In Danny's defense, he is not an engineer and he does not have the equipment to test like Amir does. Also, he does not understand electrical principles as they apply to home audio. Having a wire pick up gigahertz frequencies in very small amplitude means nothing for home audio. Yet snake oil salesmen use it all the time in wires and interconnects. So Danny does the best he can in modifying crossovers to flatten the response. If that is what someone wants then he is the guy to go to. Anything else and he is out of his area of knowledge. He knows just enough to get in trouble. It comes off as lying to those that do know far more than Danny. But, in reality it is just his ignorance. I try not to blame Danny for his extremely high level of ignorance in what he says.

MacCali

Major Contributor
This is a very interesting read, and I imagine that it is difficult for some readers to figure out "who is right" here. Without going into the findings for this particular loudspeaker, I think that one thing to look out for is whether or not the manufacturer seems to be 'infering generality from specifics'. For example, are they making some good loudspeakers and from that concluding that they are experts in modelling and measurements, or is it the other way around.

If you take KEF or Revel as an example, they have great white papers, you can follow what they are trying to achieve and why, and they show how well it works in the end via measurements. They happen to make loudspeakers, but their approach would allow them to switch into doing other products. Now, you may not like their sound as much as your own loudspeaker on a subjetive level, but you can still follow how they ended up with their product with a bottom-up approach. They are doing real research on a more general basis (although aimed towards loudspeakers) and then applying it to a particular type of product (loudspeakers) downstream.

To me, Danny is doing the opposite. He has designed some loudspeakers that seemingly perform well (and perhaps some duds also), and then infering from that, that he knows a lot about signal processing, transductance principles, measurements, and so on. However, many hobbyist can build speakers to a similar level and they can often have a good understanding of the underlying physics. Danny does not have white papers or any other publications to back up his claims, but he has his videos. So, you can instead dissect his videos, and you will quickly be able to poke holes in his reasoning. For example, he up- and downplays the importance of measurements, depending on whether someone critics his own loudspeakers, or if he is the one modifying a loudspeaker crossover from another loudspeaker company. Also, he will throw out ridiculus claims with total confidence, such as the Klippel NFS being just an averaging-machine (or something to that effect), which shows a complete lack of knowledge about spherical harmonics and multipoles. It would be much better to just state that he does not know these things, but he embraces his own intuition about it as facts. He is infering having general knowledge based on making some very specific products, completely overlooking his many unknown unknowns. There will be no way of convincing him of this, of course, so that should not be the aim for anyone.

As a consumer, what you need to consider is whether or not you will be happier with the specifics (the loudspeaker) if you know that the generalities (the overall knowledge/science behind making the product) are of a high quality also, or if you don't care. That is up to anyone to figure out for themselves. For me, the science behind the product counts, just as the looks count, but for others it is all about the sound and their subjective experience, and that is fine.

But if you more consider yourself a student of sorts, trying to learn the generalities (the signal processing, the acoustics, the structural mechanics, transductance principles, optimization), you really need to be careful with listening to YouTube video. Very often, the explanitions are too simplified or just plain wrong, and that is where it is becomes problematic. Sifting through that information is difficult without having some formal training, and many just regurgitate what they have heard their 'gurus' say. One bad sign to look for, is if they never refer to any journal papers or books, or if they always refer to the same loudspeaker cookbook as their 'bible'. You cannot learn all of the necessary general topics by studying these books aimed at the specific product. Something as seemingly simple as which way the loudspeaker cone moves is constantly being stated incorrectly, and you will see subwoofer companies saying in their videos that as the cone moves outwards is sees only the impedance of the room, and as it moves inwards, it sees only the impedance of the box, which is of course utter nonsense. But their products are good, so they are again infering generality from specifics, without understanding that their products work IN SPITE of their knowledge, not because of it. And that goes for other companies than loudspeaker companies, where many engineers have build their initution via analogy and not via first principles, leading to huge issues and missed deadlines.

It would be really great if more companies would show how they actually do their research and product development, going through the modelling stages with lumped modelling, simulation work, measurements, and the iterative process between these. It would give a more nuanced look at what actually goes into making a loudspeaker for some companies. Have for example a look at Purifi's latest blog post (https://purifi-audio.com/blog/tech-notes-1/spk16-reference-design-12) and see how differently they approach engineering than GR "Research". Here, there is a clear research path leading to a product with measurements that speak for themselves, no downtalking about how others do this, and also journal papers so that academic peers have actually overseen some of the work. So if you are trying to learn, please seek out the proper channels.
Of course it is difficult to really digest everything especially if you[generalized] is not on the objective side.

On your part 2, the thing we must accept is research. This research wasn’t done by Amir, but rather Floyd Toole. Which indicates from experts to average joes a good sounding speaker in a stereo set up is good to a vast majority.

I believe just like myself a few things definitely play a role in why an objectively perfect speaker might sound poopy. Even when room interaction isn’t a factor it can still be a factor because of other things. In addition there’s probably much more variables to consider. This is my personal experience with the Revel 328Be, number/model maybe incorrect, but I’m speaking on the top of the line “Be” speaker.

Part 3 you got on point, but as a sales tactic or pitch even to the subjective side he provides measurements, but as pointed out by Amir is basically only half the story and is smoothed out to the point it really provides no meaning. So he is either being deceptive or has no idea how to measure speakers or modify parameters.

That I find difficult to believe, he should know what he is doing. So deception is much higher probability since again he is trying to keep a company profitable and a-float.

Part 4 in my experience on the topic, and also being objective. The sad truth is a lot of mediocre products from dacs, amps or speakers etc, actually sound good even when they are poorly designed or implemented.

I do say this and it may come off as contradictory to my previous comment, but good and great are two different things with Toole’s research as the topic.

I also point out clearly and have said it many times that even an amp with an extremely poor sinad isn’t quite as bad as you might imagine. Being an owner of both “perfect” objective products and unintentionally own extremely bad products like an amp that has less than -40 db sinad for example -35.

I know this gives people a stir, but I say it clearly that I do imply a poor designed amp is actually better than a good one. It’s just not as bad as you would believe. I personally couldn’t believe it myself. It’s an experience.

That’s how these snake oil and big name companies get away with screwing the consumer. Cause you can imagine an amp at -75db sinad is definitely going to be better than one at -35 and yet the -35 isn’t god awful.

Next, on your comment about people in the DIY field and YouTube feeders. You must realize all of my previous comments apply to that too. Cause again even the mediocre is definitely passable. We cannot say if the person is being truly deceptive to keep products coming in for review or they are experiencing this natural bias.

The Hegel H90/95 is a great example of this, and I was one to fall into that trap because of it. We got Jay Iyagi, iwii, and a few others praising this unit as amazing. Yet at the same time once the measurements came out you think to yourself 2000 for this crap and what are these people really talking about. Are they being genuine, or misleading us; regardless of the reason.

So now we go back and see even though it’s mediocre we can not say definitively what their motiv is because again from my experience that amp should sound good enough.

Same thing with Rega, and Rega io measurements. Even after contacting Rega they claim to me directly that they don’t believe in measurements and they only do listening tests. Their exact words.

Oddly the 4000 dollar rega has exemplary measurements as shown by third party measurements further solidifying that better design and more money is producing better objective results.

And your last paragraph is pretty much what I just said right above.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We cannot say if the person is being truly deceptive to keep products coming in for review or they are experiencing this natural bias.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Todd68

I recently built the GR Research NX Otica speaker kit. The parts quality is top notch and the flat pack panels are high quality precision cut MDF.

The cabinets are braced and quite heavy and sturdy. If I would of read this thread beforehand, I would of probably been scared off from buying from GR Research though I think they did a great job designing at least this model. They sound better than other speakers I own or owned, even without any kind of eq or room correction. It was quite a lot of work to build them, but it was fun and rewarding. I like DIY and bought a pair of Dayton Audio Ultimax subs some years back. Among other things, I built my own turntable, motor controller and phono stage for it. It's part of the fun of the hobby to me.

YSC

Major Contributor
I recently built the GR Research NX Otica speaker kit. The parts quality is top notch and the flat pack panels are high quality precision cut MDF.

The cabinets are braced and quite heavy and sturdy. If I would of read this thread beforehand, I would of probably been scared off from buying from GR Research though I think they did a great job designing at least this model. They sound better than other speakers I own or owned, even without any kind of eq or room correction. It was quite a lot of work to build them, but it was fun and rewarding. I like DIY and bought a pair of Dayton Audio Ultimax subs some years back. Among other things, I built my own turntable, motor controller and phono stage for it. It's part of the fun of the hobby to me.
To be fair, only judging by the size and data, GR Research stuffs usually performs ok and better than a lot of junk in the market. But when considering that they usually flavour it with some snake oil and that the price is more often than not sub-optimal at best, with this named as the little giant killer the goal post have moved quite a bit, hence the mostly "poor" vote here. of course, when tinkering itself is a considerable part of the hobby to you, buying it isn't an issue

DMill

Forum Donor
To be fair, only judging by the size and data, GR Research stuffs usually performs ok and better than a lot of junk in the market. But when considering that they usually flavour it with some snake oil and that the price is more often than not sub-optimal at best, with this named as the little giant killer the goal post have moved quite a bit, hence the mostly "poor" vote here. of course, when tinkering itself is a considerable part of the hobby to you, buying it isn't an issue
I’ll add and say tube connectors and no-rez is going to leave a bad taste for most on this site. His Encore build was measured here and tested good. Danny is a Frustrating guy, but I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Frustrating guy, but I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day. :)
Only strictly true, I'd opine, for analog clocks. I suppose that a VCR (e.g.) clock with a flashing "12:00" display could be argued to be right once a day, or twice if AM or PM is not specified, and if the clock is of the 12-hour and not 24-hour kind -- but now we're getting kind of into the weeds, meta-metaphorically speaking.
:cool:

MacCali

Major Contributor

We are not here to rain on your parade or try to argue that our point is right and you are wrong situation. Some of us have manners and respect regardless if you[anyone] is subjective, objective, or a little of both.

Now to my point, and pretty much what ASR is about. I am willing to bet if that speaker was measured by Erin from EAC, who has no affiliation to ASR. I am quite certain you can find a similar speaker objectively and it would be cheaper and in a double blind test you wouldn’t be able to distinguish what you are listening too.

I only say this because for one Danny is a business and he’s a small business. So he needs to make money and hype everything up. Which also typically means most his products are going to be more expensive. Especially if you consider that the bigger retailers use “crap” parts and everything is way cheaper but clearly all that should matter is the objective performance which is what we are talking about.

So I’m not here to rain on your parade, I’m just stating what I feel is the case. So for anyone else, especially on here, it’s hard to go with Danny.

Todd68

We are not here to rain on your parade or try to argue that our point is right and you are wrong situation. Some of us have manners and respect regardless if you[anyone] is subjective, objective, or a little of both.

Now to my point, and pretty much what ASR is about. I am willing to bet if that speaker was measured by Erin from EAC, who has no affiliation to ASR. I am quite certain you can find a similar speaker objectively and it would be cheaper and in a double blind test you wouldn’t be able to distinguish what you are listening too.

I only say this because for one Danny is a business and he’s a small business. So he needs to make money and hype everything up. Which also typically means most his products are going to be more expensive. Especially if you consider that the bigger retailers use “crap” parts and everything is way cheaper but clearly all that should matter is the objective performance which is what we are talking about.

So I’m not here to rain on your parade, I’m just stating what I feel is the case. So for anyone else, especially on here, it’s hard to go with Danny.
Maybe so, but I'm completely satisfied with my purchase, even if certain people think I overpaid or got ripped off somehow. And I can't imagine I'd ever want to try and "upgrade" to some other cheaper cost speakers. I've owned and tried enough different speaker types and brands to know what I like in sound quality and that these are actually end game speakers for me.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Maybe so, but I'm completely satisfied with my purchase, even if certain people think I overpaid or got ripped off somehow. And I can't imagine I'd ever want to try and "upgrade" to some other cheaper cost speakers. I've owned and tried enough different speaker types and brands to know what I like in sound quality and that these are actually end game speakers for me.
That’s extremely good news, honestly really glad you are happy. That’s all we want is people to be satisfied with their system. Some of us can’t sleep because the objective part of audio consumes us lol.

Also I don’t doubt that they are good speakers. Also I don’t doubt that even my previous statement can be the complete opposite. That speakers were actually equal to a more expensive pair.

But to be as honest as possible, and I’ve said this before we are not your parents. We don’t want to tell you what to do and all that’s given is advice for free. I don’t think anyone on here has told someone not to buy something unless it jeopardizes your safety or can be a potential hazard.

I don’t got no grudge against Danny, but generally I feel he is a bit deceptive and a lot of people in the audio industry are. So I can’t even blame him for that.

DMill

Forum Donor
My grandmother grew up very poor and one of her signature dishes was liver and onions. My cousin used to love it. I thought it tasted like sucking on a copper penny. I don’t like “we” statements on ASR as there are many divergent points of view here, but I do like that I can certainly respect others impressions of a bunch of magnets, wires and paper stuffed into a little box. I’m glad you like the speakers, I’ve not heard them. All im trying to say is by giving a different perspective on your speakers no one is saying you’re wrong. Just a different way of looking at it. And those opinions have merit if you’re willing to post here. Welcome to ASR.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is important for ASR newbies to be aware that science-based approach here does mean that we do weigh (sometimes heavily) towards objective evidence. Like some that have posted in this thread, can respect a personal opinion as long as the member keeps it personal. For many audiophiles it is a struggle to understand the value of personal opinion (whether individual or a larger group one) relative to objective evidence.

Even a subjectivist can get acceptance here as long a they do not attempt to push their opinion as though it was as meaningful as a controlled study.:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Forgive me ;) for dredging up this bad memory ... but I just happened to see a Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man at Audioasylum today, and (heaven help me) I cannot resist sharing it.

1704817755728.png

Photo from AA's head honcho, Rod M, taken at the 2004 CES. Out of deference to Rod and to AA, here's the link (which is probably visible only to subscribers) and the referring link from a discussion there today on "photos of hifi luminaries" so to speak.

James Romeyn

Dealer
...Danny does the best he can in modifying crossovers to flatten the response. If that is what someone wants then he is the guy to go to. Anything else and he is out of his area of knowledge. He knows just enough to get in trouble. It comes off as lying to those that do know far more than Danny. But, in reality it is just his ignorance. I try not to blame Danny for his extremely high level of ignorance in what he says.
If only Danny's audio and loudspeaker ignorance was his only flaw. As I described above, his flaw is a personality defect, his malicious, his only known and virtually constant marketing philosophy: to publicly criticize the products of his perceived competition, speaking with non-existent expertise. He publicly and physically disassembles the products of his perceived competition, calmly discloses perceived flaws and his perceived remedies.

He's a self-proclaimed (faux) speaker design superhero whose best-polished superpower is to point out how much better are his superpowers than all the others who are pretenders.

In Danny's audio circle the only things worse than Danny himself are his pathetic acolytes and sycophants.

Beyond that he's OK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom