• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Choose your primary listening option

• Stereo speakers

Votes: 509 33.5%
  • 2.x speaker system

Votes: 382 25.1%
  • 3.x speaker system

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • 5.x speaker system

Votes: 65 4.3%
  • 7.x or more speaker system

Votes: 67 4.4%
  • Headphones, IEM or equiv.

Votes: 238 15.7%
  • Smart speaker(s) (Alexa, Sonos, etc.)

Votes: 14 0.9%
  • Soundbar or similar

Votes: 5 0.3%
  • Other (please post detail in thread)

Votes: 11 0.7%
  • Multiple Systems (Music, Home Theater, etc.)

Votes: 216 14.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just added lines 3,4,5 and 10 into one general group of more than 2 channel. That was my thinking. Not defending the logic of it and open to others interpretations. I said 50% use a sub because they represent approximately 50% of the 2 channel crowd. Again this was just off the top and open to interpretation.
I thought you might have done, but you can't really add Option 10 because multiple systems doesn't mean subwoofers. Instead it could mean a 2channel speaker system and headphones. I chose Option 10 for instance and that's because I use stereo speakers connected to TV for TV & movies (& sometimes music) and then headphones for music - well I do actually have a subwoofer but that's got nothing to do with me choosing Option 10.

Yep, but you can't say 50% of respondents own a sub because they represent 50% of the 2 channel crowd because the detail is there anyway, it's 2.1 and up for people owning a sub which is 25%+10% = 35%. So 35% of respondents own subs, not 50%. I'm not being arsy, just if you're gonna group together the statistics then you may as well be rigorous with choosing the right figures to group. You did choose some elucidating groupings albeit you put the wrong figures to a couple of them.

existingbrain

Someone else already said this, but I'm also surprised at how many people do not use subs. I mainly listen to acoustic jazz on my 2.1 system (Chora 826 + Speedwoofer 10s) and everything has so much more presence and sounds more fuller-bodied with the sub on even though this style of music rarely goes below what the Choras can handle. Objectively it's a very subtle addition, but subjectively the experience is transformative. On the rare occasion I play any kind of modern rock (David Bryne, Pavement) without the sub, the music is completely lifeless and unlistenable. Maybe this is just my personal preference? Or do folks have monster towers that are genuinely full-range?

fatoldgit

I -- in full and complete disclosure (and I think you know this @fpitas) -- do have and often use a subwoofer.
It's got two drivers and it weighs like 200 lbs and stuff. It's also powered -- and the power is (zut alors) a Class D plate amp... from PartsExpress.

I have no shame.
:facepalm:

Umm, I mean, so I am squarely in the 2.x camp vis-a-vis this poll. I think.
1704501862132.png

Is that toilet roll holder with toilet paper on top of that left speaker there in case you poop yourself during a passage of thunderous bass?

Peter

rynberg

Forum Donor
I'm surprised as well, but subwoofers are just a means to an end, the end being whatever bass response you want. With my stereo music system, I have very strong bass response down to 50 Hz. Although linearity down to 20 Hz would be ideal, I don't find that last 30 Hz to be worth the effort.
The way I see it is, even if one doesn't listen to music with synthesized elements, an open E on a bass (used ALL the time in rock and pop music) is 41 Hz. And a lot of modern rock frequently uses drop D tuning, which is 37 Hz. To me, if a speaker system can't even fully produce an open E, you are losing an important part of the content. :)

But I totally agree that properly implementing a subwoofer does require effort and further investment (UMIK-1).

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
til I realized the different use case, did not know why someone requested headphones separated from IEMs either!
we got people here wanting to use subs with IEM'S, so better don't go down that rabbit hole...:facepalm:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose 2.1 for this poll, even though I spend a very significant amount of time listening in 5.1 for TV/movie content.

I'm surprised so many people do not use a subwoofer...one (or more) is required to meet my definition of high fidelity.

ASR has members from across the globe and some live in apartments and condos where low bass is not usually welcome. Am struggling as I ponder downsizing. If I have to share walls with neighbor(s), my subwoofers will have to go and am thinking headphones may be my only recourse.

Rhamnetin

The way I see it is, even if one doesn't listen to music with synthesized elements, an open E on a bass (used ALL the time in rock and pop music) is 41 Hz. And a lot of modern rock frequently uses drop D tuning, which is 37 Hz. To me, if a speaker system can't even fully produce an open E, you are losing an important part of the content. :)

But I totally agree that properly implementing a subwoofer does require effort and further investment (UMIK-1).

Good point, plus the alternative to a subwoofer is a lot more expensive (Neumann KH 420).

- Edit: I should clarify that I do have meaningful output down to just below 40 dB, but a well integrated subwoofer would improve that last 30 Hz since these speakers are only flat to 50 Hz.

Last edited:

Neel

Forum Donor
I also chose Multiple Systems (listed in the decreasing order of time spent):

1. For extended music listening and movies (dedicated HT Room- 7.1.4 setup using Genelec 8361x5 as core): 2 channel & Atmos
  2. For casual listening/TV/YouTube (Living room/Kitchen- stereo setup using Revel Salon2s): 2 Channel
  3. For commute (Transit/biking using Airpod Pro 2): primarily 2 channel

I am slowly enjoying more and more of Atmos mixes. It will be interesting to find out in couple of years, with a similar survey, how many people choose atmos (multichannel) setups over 2/2.1 channel.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
I also chose Multiple Systems (listed in the decreasing order of time spent):

1. For extended music listening and movies (dedicated HT Room- 7.1.4 setup using Genelec 8361x5 as core): 2 channel & Atmos
Pictures please, this must be awesome!

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR has members from across the globe and some live in apartments and condos where low bass is not usually welcome. Am struggling as I ponder downsizing. If I have to share walls with neighbor(s), my subwoofers will have to go and am thinking headphones may be my only recourse.

I never met a single person who found downsizing was as good an idea as they imagined it would be. You don't save much money, real estate transactions eat up a bunch of money and most end up with a smaller house, less resources and not that much difference in bills. And if you are downsizing in a big way, you have a ton of stuff to sell, give away and take to the dump. Not a small task. Good luck.

JakeK

Forum Donor

"primary listening option"​

Means the option used most often.

Most often I listen to 2 way speakers on my bench plus a sub-woofer this system was upgraded about a year ago to 2-way 6-1/2" Purifi mid- woofers & Satori TW29BN-B tweeters and a sub-woofer tucked under the bench. You might call the use "near field".

The speakers are toed in, and I sit on my tall Steelcase Leap stool.

A lot of DIY building, and measuring happens at that bench.

Thanks DT

The reality of my most used option for all 'Audio' and not just music would be the speakers built into my TV. I spend a couple of hours or more every day watching TV with my wife. She demands that of me and I don't mind. So that might be 'Stereo Speakers' or 'Other' but it's definitely not my preferred option and I have several other sound systems that I use all the time so I chose 'Multiple systems'.

The problem with the 'good' speakers is if I turn on the AVR to get better sound she usually complains it's 'too loud' even though the db will be less than she likes just the TV at and I think that's because of the bass. It's all fine at quite a good volume until any bass kicks in. Sometimes I persuade her to listen to music together or a film (movie) as a 'treat' but it will be a struggle to get the volume up to what I consider to be quiet/moderate volume which is about 45 on the AVR without complaints. She likes it down at about 30 where we both struggle to hear the quiet parts. I like it at about 50 and 55 is quite loud. Last time she said she wanted to be able to talk over the music but I don't normally want to talk at all during a movie or much while listening to an album either. Ironically when she has the TV on or Abba or Duran Duran etc. on in the kitchen or in the bedroom it will be much louder so it can be heard though the whole house and probably next door as well.

Happy wife, happy life though! :)

JakeK

Forum Donor
In my circle of acquaintances, I can think of only 2 people who have more than stereo speakers. Most use TV speakers, a soundbar, or some kind of smart speaker(s).

Also, unless you are in the Apple ecosphere, Atmos masters are not very accessible. I have Amazon Music HD, but no way to stream those tracks. It requires an Amazon Echo device, which I will not have in my home. It is not supported on the Amazon Music app on smart TVs, Roku, Heos, etc.
Same. Just me & my brother. My brother got 5.1 and bigger TV after he saw and heard mine. My mate did get a big TV and soundbar with sub and surrounds after me as well but the surrounds are under the TV as well as the sub as he doesn't like trailing the wires so I don't count that as anything other than a soundbar. Apart from that the next best is my parents who have a soundbar which they are very happy with and I don't comment on!

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last time she said she wanted to be able to talk over the music but I don't normally want to talk at all during a movie or much while listening to an album either.
A tool that I use is the pause button.

I push the pause button when my sweet wife wants to talk about the plot or the music. As John Gottman says, I turn towards her and give her my full attention.

farhad

I chose stereo.

I listen primarily with stereo speakers. When I cannot because, I switch to using headphones. All of my listening is done mostly in the bedroom/office. I will occasionally watch/listen to stuff on the TV in the living room, but that is significantly rarer.

JakeK

Forum Donor
Is intentionally missing. It was added, then vetoed and so I also updated the thread question to specify to “at home”.

Seems a better fit for a future mobile poll.:cool: Until I realized the different use case, did not know why someone requested headphones separated from IEMs either! Not at home is a whole other market even though there is likely overlap.
I'd be interested in a poll on mobile listening. Such as over ear or IEMs or vehicle, wired or bluetooth, aptx or aptx-hd or LDAC or just the basic SBC etc.. :)

A poll on what your favourite (instead of primarily, most of the time) way to listen to music (not all audio) anywhere (not just at home) I imagine would have very different results. I would say live orchestra in a concert hall or electronic music at the Wembley arena so it would have to be what you own yourself lol. Lucky you if you own a hall! :)

JakeK

Forum Donor

It does depend how the building is constructed and how much carpet there is. In the past I lived in a flat where I didn't hear the neighbours much and I used subs there sometimes quite loud without any complaint from the neighbours. Now we have a semi-detached house and since the next door neighbours changed to hard flooring we can almost hear every word and my subwoofers are in boxes in the shed, unused and unloved. I must get them sold on.

I thought you might have done, but you can't really add Option 10 because multiple systems doesn't mean subwoofers. Instead it could mean a 2channel speaker system and headphones. I chose Option 10 for instance and that's because I use stereo speakers connected to TV for TV & movies (& sometimes music) and then headphones for music - well I do actually have a subwoofer but that's got nothing to do with me choosing Option 10.

Yes. I chose multiple systems and I have no subs in use. My AVR is only used in 3.0 currently. Because neighbours and wife.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
9% is probably at least an order of magnitude more than in the general non-audiophile public.
As I've said before, I have never encountered a multichannel ( i.e. more than 2-channel stereo) system 'in the wild' so to speak. It's simply not a thing around these parts ...
Sure, but the poll asked how do YOU, the asr reader, listen to audio. Not the general public. I thought that WE, the asr community, try to get the best of what modern technology has on offer when listening to audio.

Top Bottom