• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 216 61.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 61 17.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 33 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 11.2%

• Total voters

Thl

Just test tones and sweeps here mate.

Anyway, what's your point?
Thanks for pointing out,
I still remember something from my PhD in Physics about measurements ;)
But, after 45 years in the hobby, I thought that also my years should be trustable, and, among the other cans I own, it's difficult to listen to a more smooth, focused, precise, corresponding to real instruments sound than the one from Susvara.
94 dB a medium level? Come on...

Sokel

Master Contributor
jazz, classic, progrock, acoustic music, classic rock, i would say anything but Metal
Since you listen to classical too you will certainly know that we that listen almost exclusively to this genre we not only listen,we pray to it.
Generalizing is never a good idea.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You did indeed, and you were right.

I still think however it is a good idea to show that different tunings might be as valid as well to bring more people around the science instead of insisting on one truth at the risk of alienating people. I am not sure what would be a good way of doing that though.
I would agree - I think people into headphones and IEM's want to have a collection and they don't want them all sounding the same and there are alternative balanced tuning's would be excellent for your 'second' headphone. I am pretty sure the reason these high end headphones are popular is because they are 'different' and just showing only one 'correct' tuning is sort of ignoring the research.

I am not suggesting a wide preference band (like the headphones.com guys are now showing as that can lead inconsistent FR ) but maybe showing 2 alternative balanced tunings. I know with my small IEM collection, I have 3 favourites all with slightly different FR's one very Harman, one slightly V-Shaped and one mid 'forward'.

Last edited:

Chagall

Forum Donor
We are the plebeians that cannot appreciate the sound. Real HARDCORE audiophiles have sophisticated taste that is unobtainable for us mortals.
:facepalm:

View attachment 337365

View attachment 337366

What about this gem:

They feel comfort in measurement because they don’t have to go out their way to try and listen for themselves. No effort, no expense, just graph reading… and a boring sound as a result…

No effort? - tell that to people measuring and giving you (whoever you are) knowledge for free
No expense? - all you need is a couple of cheap mics...no biggie and for the rest of us we are on the bartering system, so yeah no expense
and boring sound - your exciting sound vs our boring sound will sound the same when you close your eyes, and level match

Always been a fan of fanbases, tribalism, and us vs them...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But, after 45 years in the hobby, I thought that also my years should be trustable
Well, it isn't. Research shows in controlled testing, you all do very poorly:
Trained+vs+UnTrained+Performance2.png

Above says how reliable your assessments would be in controlled test of speakers. As you see, you cohorts who are reviewers or sell audio gear did very poorly. You don't become a doctor by being a patient for 45 years. Same here. I have a video on above if you don't have access to actual research:

P.S. I have been in the hobby longer than you. So if that is what matters, I suggest following my lead. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
i don't think so, how can you measure it in a deterministic way?
You can compare my measurements with others and find very high correlation. Seeing how we all work independently, that should give you very high confidence in measurements being repeatable.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sophisticated taste = random filters applied to the sound :p
Yes good point.
A lot of the times audiophillia is about what is the strangest and wonkiest sound.

But then there is whole philosophy applied to it.
It's my taste, I'm more connected to the music I can feel the intention of artist music flows through my veins and my soul and other esoteric babbling :facepalm:

ps. it is not to Susvara per se, just a general observation.

Endibol

Forum Donor
Good for you, that means your ears/brain is the limit and be glad that your audio hobby is cheap.
Then hifi is nothing for you, nothing wrong with that too.

Me personally I can hear alot differences in detail, transparancy, soundstage height, width and depth when going from 20$ iem's to a Susvara, even going from the Edition XS to a susvara the difference is big. There are alot of things that change in the perception of sound, the instrument seperation for example, texture of a instrument like guitar, drum, and layering in between instruments.

Wow, could you do the same in a double-blind test?

Fidji

Wow, could you do the same in a double-blind test?

Well, I am pretty sure everybody is able to differentiate Susvaras from IEM's. Even without listening to them. You know, it just feels different IEM;s and over ear headphones ;-).

Mr Swing King

I’ve been using this site for a couple of years as I dig my frequency responses raw…and I really like the more scientific approach to audio (even if I lean more towards IEF neutral than Harman).

Back when I first bought the Susvara I honestly liked it very much. It was all I listened to for a couple of weeks. A true honeymoon.
I then put back on my trusty HD600 one day and couldn’t believe what I heard. I started doing some quick a/b listening between the two and quickly realised that I had upgraded the bass and subbass qualities of the 600 via the Susvara..but at the expense of the mids and treble. This felt so counter intuitive that I started questioning my senses. Slept on it, did the same experiment the day after and ended up with an even greater appreciation of the 600…and genuinely disappointed with the Hifiman.
This lead me to a/b the Sus with my Sundara and HE500 and curiously enough I ended up prefering both.

Now try explaining this to anyone over say Head-Fi or anyone enamoured with the more…errr…elusive and nonsensical parts of audio. They’ll quickly throw you in the pillory and fetch their rotten tomatoes. Tastes are ok as long as they don’t interfere with flagships and holy cows.

Anyhoo, after reading most of this thread I realised that I’m not alone and that common sense does exist in a few dusty corners of the hobby. Made me smile and consequently sign up.
Thanks for the review Amir, much appreciated.

jody2k

I’ve been using this site for a couple of years as I dig my frequency responses raw…and I really like the more scientific approach to audio (even if I lean more towards IEF neutral than Harman).

Back when I first bought the Susvara I honestly liked it very much. It was all I listened to for a couple of weeks. A true honeymoon.
I then put back on my trusty HD600 one day and couldn’t believe what I heard. I started doing some quick a/b listening between the two and quickly realised that I had upgraded the bass and subbass qualities of the 600 via the Susvara..but at the expense of the mids and treble. This felt so counter intuitive that I started questioning my senses. Slept on it, did the same experiment the day after and ended up with an even greater appreciation of the 600…and genuinely disappointed with the Hifiman.
This lead me to a/b the Sus with my Sundara and HE500 and curiously enough I ended up prefering both.

Now try explaining this to anyone over say Head-Fi or anyone enamoured with the more…errr…elusive and nonsensical parts of audio. They’ll quickly throw you in the pillory and fetch their rotten tomatoes. Tastes are ok as long as they don’t interfere with flagships and holy cows.

Anyhoo, after reading most of this thread I realised that I’m not alone and that common sense does exist in a few dusty corners of the hobby. Made me smile and consequently sign up.
Thanks for the review Amir, much appreciated.
First fase is always the honeymoon fase, you loved the Susvara. Then following by the harder fase of "is my invested money worth the price fase". I get it for the full price of 6000 bucks I wouldn't bought it either, especially if you don't have a decent speaker/headphone amp laying around. Sounds more like your Susvara wasn't matched well with a decent amp (like most people have if you read 1500 pages of head-fi they almost speak about amp issues with this headphone). The HD600 has still one of the best mids agreed for (for it's pricepoint). but I also disagree a bit here, the susvara can do it better it has magical mids but only with a good matched amp like a flux FA10 for example. If you combine a sterile and cold sounding topping A90 for example with a Susvara you won't have the same magic in the mid range, neither the synergy in the bass range. My appologies for sounding like a lunatic, for most here

Top Bottom