• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 Review (bookshelf speaker)

WTree

I am thinking about using UB52 as front L, R as well as Center. Is it a good idea to use UB52 as center Speaker? Since I will have two of them and probably will have a power amp, does it make sense to put two UB52s as center speaker?

Hi. This is quite the thread. I am new here with just a couple of posts. I read through the pages. I have had UB52s for a week breaking in. They sound great! Thankfully no issues playing any of the tracks and frequencies mentioned in this thread. Really loving them running off either my 80wpc Marantz stereo receiver 4021 or my older Denon DRA-545r .

Compared to my other speakers (100s), i find the UB52 cabinet quite solid. They are not light either. Only thing is I wish they could have taken a bit more care with the faux wood vinyl wrap.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking about using UB52 as front L, R as well as Center. Is it a good idea to use UB52 as center Speaker? Since I will have two of them and probably will have a power amp, does it make sense to put two UB52s as center speaker?
UB52 could be used as a center, sure. Ideally vertical, but due to the three-way coaxial design not the end of the world if on its side. Two of them would just make interference so no on that.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
UB52 could be used as a center, sure. Ideally vertical, but due to the three-way coaxial design not the end of the world if on its side. Two of them would just make interference so no on that.

Honestly it will be better than most center channels even on its side. I used to use a Kali on its side that was a 3-way with a coaxial midrange/tweeter and it worked well minus the floor bounce.

RonnyOz

I'm not sure if I missed this being mentioned anywhere after reading all 33 previous pages, but since Andrew Jones left Elac early last year to join MoFi Electronics, I would expect that there won't be any more feedback or involvement from him (or Elac) with this thread, including providing the other sample for testing that he had promised. Which is a shame. [Update] Have since found posts elsewhere about his new speaker for MoFi etc.

In any case, after weighing up the differences (and similarities) between the UB52 and the DBR62, I've gone ahead and ordered the UB52 and UC52 through Amazon. They were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than buying from a dealer here in Australia. I would normally prefer to support our local hi-fi dealers (and distributors), but a saving of A$720 was too much to pass up. So A$2,100 locally vs A$1,380 thx to Amazon (US sourced). Hopefully I get brand new units and not refurbs.

These will be driven by our brand new (less than 2 weeks old) Denon X4800H (9.4ch 125W - 2ch). Thanks also to Denon for shipping this model to us many months after just about everyone else in the world received their shipments. Will be interesting to see how well Audyssey initially, and then Dirac Live later, can provide a better EQ experience. Only have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive, and then I can find out if I've got squeakless UB52's.

I also have to thank this community for the suggestions on how to get the best out of these speakers. I won't be using banana plugs for sure!

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anybody compared these to the ELAC Debut Reference B62?

I really like the Unifi UB52 but can get the DBR62 for 250€ a pair new, so im kinda curious.

uwotm8

Question is which is 'better'
Sorry, I misunderstood you. Well, if you're ok with collecting speakers 250 for DBR62 seems a very good deal, almost a steal. I think there's a good chance that sound will be better (there will be some additional bass for sure).

bhayes9614

Does Erin still not recommend the UB52 in 2023? I think he should try another pair of UB52's!

Does Erin still not recommend the UB52 in 2023? I think he should try another pair of UB52's!
Actually I got a pair and then returned the as they were not really any significant upgrade over my Kefq150. Then I got Monitor Audio Silver 1007g and they sound and look fantastic (I know they cost more but worth it as I don't feel a need to upgrade again).

bhayes9614

Actually I got a pair and then returned the as they were not really any significant upgrade over my Kefq150. Then I got Monitor Audio Silver 1007g and they sound and look fantastic (I know they cost more but worth it as I don't feel a need to upgrade again).

Oh my lol I just ordered a pair of Elac UB52's last night on sale going to be coming from a pair of Kef Q150's that I've been listening to for two years lol. I wonder if I'll feel the same well see :D

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh my lol I just ordered a pair of Elac UB52's last night on sale going to be coming from a pair of Kef Q150's that I've been listening to for two years lol. I wonder if I'll feel the same well see :D
This is gonna be interesting, don't assume anything, room interaction and personal preference may make a big difference....

This is gonna be interesting, don't assume anything, room interaction and personal preference may make a big difference....
Experience may differ.I really like my q150 and hung onto them even after buying my MA silver. In the end the improvement was not sufficiently significant to justify my investment in the Elac ub52 in the room I was using them in. The q150 are very enjoyable speakers for sure. I am not sure what the measurements say but I really like them.and enjoy them compared to the Elac ub52.and ub51 as well. The elacs were not bad at all and I was expecting more from the 3 way coax design but I found the ub52 lacked bass in my room about 6 inches from the wall.. Even after break in. Kefs sound amazing right out of the box. The q350 as well I think online reciwwea set my expectations too high for the elacs as well. Of course if I didn't have the kefs I would keep the elacs since they were fine too. It is also not surprising the q150 compares well as the price is not too far off that of the elacs. I was using with a marantz sr4021 2 channel amp. I have upgraded to a pm-6006 as well. I found both elacs and kefs not too sensitive to the different amps I used (Denon 90s DRA) also sounded great with both speakers as did my marantz amps. The MA sounds next level but is slightly more picky on the amp . The MA is lovely sounding though.

Last edited:

bhayes9614

I'm definitely going to keep mine they sound so amazing! I've literally only had them for two hours now and haven't even broken them in yet. But listening in my tiny room on 1200 cubic foot, with diy acoustic panels, and my svs 1000 pro.

I instantly notice more presence and detail and they blend with the sub way better! I haven't even adjusted any settings just connected them and can't stop smiling :)

D

Deleted member 21219

I've literally only had them for two hours now and haven't even broken them in yet.

They won't break in ... only you ears/brain will. :)

Jim

I'm definitely going to keep mine they sound so amazing! I've literally only had them for two hours now and haven't even broken them in yet. But listening in my tiny room on 1200 cubic foot, with diy acoustic panels, and my svs 1000 pro.

I instantly notice more presence and detail and they blend with the sub way better! I haven't even adjusted any settings just connected them and can't stop smiling :)
Glad you like them! I did too! At least in my listening environment it didn't provide a sufficient jump to warrant my upgrade funds vs the MA which is larger as well. They are very good and, as I said before, I would have kept them if ny situation was different.

bhayes9614

I have some very sad news now regarding my ELAC UB52 speakers. After spending a fews weeks with them I noticed there was a problem with the mid driver on the right speaker.

The album is called For Those Who Have A Heart by A Day To Remember. It was released in 2007 and remastered just recently this year and both versions have shown me my right speaker is defective.

The main song that did it for me is called A Plot To Bomb The Panhandle. The intro starts off with the main guitar riff and this is where the distortion happens. Then when the rest of the band kicks in it all seems to sound normal again. The mid driver would distort while the left speaker handled everything just fine. Then the next song on the album called Monument had the same issue for the intro. The guitar was distorted on the mid driver up until the rest of the band kicked in around 6 seconds in.

So I took a signal generator and played a sine wave and when going from about 800hz to 2500khz is where I discovered how nasty the right speaker sounded. Exactly like everyone else's video's on YouTube who got a defective speaker :(

I really want to exchange them but I'm in a tough situation now. I ordered through Crutchfield and they are backordered now. They did say they could swap me out for the DBR62's even though they weren't on sale. But they only have the white color in stock I would want black. I could do a return and just try the UB52's again on Amazon or still on sale and in stock.

I'm going to have to do some thinking here I don't know what to do yet. My one audio buddy has had a good pair of UB52's for over a year now. He can't believe I had to experience this and has been mind blown by his pair ever since he received them.

Last edited:
I have some very sad news now regarding my ELAC UB52 speakers. After spending a fews weeks with them I noticed there was a problem with the mid driver on the right speaker.

The album is called For Those Who Have A Heart by A Day To Remember. It was released in 2007 and remastered just recently this year and both versions have shown me my right speaker is defective.

The main song that did it for me is called A Plot To Bomb The Panhandle. The intro starts off with the main guitar riff and this is where the distortion happens. Then when the redt of the band kicks in it all seems to sound normal again. The mid driver would distort while the left speaker handled everything just fine. Then the next song on the album called Monument had the same issue for the intro. The guitar was distorted on the mid driver up until the rest of the band kicked in around 6 seconds in.

So I took a signal generator and played a sine wave and when going from about 800hz to 2500khz is where I discovered how nasty the right speaker sounded. Exactly like everyone else's video's on YouTube who got a defective speaker :(

I really want to exchange them but I'm in a tough situation now. I ordered through Crutchfield and they are backordered now. They did say they could swap me out for the DBR62's even though they weren't on sale. But they only have the white color in stock I would want black. But I could do a return and just try the UB52's again on Amazon or still on sale and in stock.

I'm going to have to do some thinking here I don't know what to do :(
Oh no that is sad to hear. I hope that you can get them exchanged/returned.. Well after reading this and many other posts in this thread I am glad I didn't keep mine. There are many good speakers out there. It is a great time to take up this hobby.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The main song that did it for me is called A Plot To Bomb The Panhandle. The intro starts off with the main guitar riff and this is where the distortion happens. Then when the redt of the band kicks in it all seems to sound normal again. The mid driver would distort while the left speaker handled everything just fine. Then the next song on the album called Monument had the same issue for the intro. The guitar was distorted on the mid driver up until the rest of the band kicked in around 6 seconds in.

I really want to exchange them but I'm in a tough situation now. I ordered through Crutchfield and they are backordered now. They did say they could swap me out for the DBR62's even though they weren't on sale. But they only have the white color in stock I would want black. But I could do a return and just try the UB52's again on Amazon or still on sale and in stock.

I'm going to have to do some thinking here I don't know what to do yet. My one audio buddy has had a non defective pair of UB52's for about one year now. He can't believe I had to experience this and has been mind blown by his pair ever since day one.
Did you swap the speakers to see if the problem followed the right speaker?

Top Bottom