• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 124 40.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.1%

• Total voters

Progger

I would pick the Yamaha A-S301, it has a digital input for TV, variable loudness, is very nice in silver and well done.

The R-S202D is an unknown as far as sound quality goes, Amir has one for measurements, but it will take month to come to the front of the queue. I know it's the "worst" in terms of build quality. The front plate looks like metal, but is plastic, and the silver is not the same silver as the A-S301 and the other Yamahas.

Also consider the Yamaha R-N803D, it has room correction, a measurement microphone, builtin streamer. A very high value device.

If you only care about sound quality and price, look at the R-S700, it has the same power supply and power amp as the A-S701/R-N803D and can be had for little money used.

You find all of the Yamaha amps with detailed pictures in this thread:

I would pick the Yamaha A-S301, it has a digital input for TV, variable loudness, is very nice in silver and well done.

The R-S202D is an unknown as far as sound quality goes, Amir has one for measurements, but it will take month to come to the front of the queue. I know it's the "worst" in terms of build quality. The front plate looks like metal, but is plastic, and the silver is not the same silver as the A-S301 and the other Yamahas.

Also consider the Yamaha R-N803D, it has room correction, a measurement microphone, builtin streamer. A very high value device.

If you only care about sound quality and price, look at the R-S700, it has the same power supply and power amp as the A-S701/R-N803D and can be had for little money used.

You find all of the Yamaha amps with detailed pictures in this thread:
If I push my budget, maybe AS-301 and RS 700. I am grateful. As far as I understand, I will also need a DAC for these devices. Unfortunately, it becomes difficult to purchase these devices in Turkey due to exchange rate differences and taxes. For this reason, should I buy Fosi v3+mini dsp 2x4 HD and continue on my way? I can't help but wonder if there is a big difference between AS 301 and RS700. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to test it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah i think people in places with poor currency will recoil at 450 euros or $450 usd

i mean thats just the way it is

and this is where the chinese come in

i get that this is a great amp... no one disputes that but if you can get away with a fosi v3 in the 'developing world' lets just say then save your money

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I push my budget, maybe AS-301 and RS 700. I am grateful. As far as I understand, I will also need a DAC for these devices. Unfortunately, it becomes difficult to purchase these devices in Turkey due to exchange rate differences and taxes. For this reason, should I buy Fosi v3+mini dsp 2x4 HD and continue on my way? I can't help but wonder if there is a big difference between AS 301 and RS700. Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to test it.
Fyi, the Yamaha AS-301 has a built in DAC (digital input is the clue), it has everything you need. Not familiar with the RS700.

Progger

yeah i think people in places with poor currency will recoil at 450 euros or $450 usd

i mean thats just the way it is

and this is where the chinese come in

i get that this is a great amp... no one disputes that but if you can get away with a fosi v3 in the 'developing world' lets just say then save your money
Which amplifier are you talking about? Fosi v3? What I'm really curious about is whether it is worth paying the difference in money for an amplifier like the Yamaha AS 301 (vs. Fosi v3+dac).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I push my budget, maybe AS-301 and RS 700. I am grateful. As far as I understand, I will also need a DAC for these devices.
The A-S301 has two digital inputs, coax and optical. Optical is on most TVs. There is no reason to use an external DAC. The R-S700 doesn't, you need an external DAC or use devices that have analog output. Some TVs have RCA line-out, but optical is more common.

I had both, the Fosi V3 and the A-S301. They are different kinds of devices and i would always recommend the A-S301, simply because it has so much more features. These may not be needed today, but maybe tomorrow or the day after. You buy a A-S301 to use it for decades.

Progger

The A-S301 has two digital inputs, coax and optical. Optical is on most TVs. There is no reason to use an external DAC. The R-S700 doesn't, you need an external DAC or use devices that have analog output. Some TVs have RCA line-out, but optical is more common.

I had both, the Fosi V3 and the A-S301. They are different kinds of devices and i would always recommend the A-S301, simply because it has so much more features. These may not be needed today, but maybe tomorrow or the day after. You buy a A-S301 to use it for decades.
This was the answer I was looking for, thank you very much. samsung 55q60r television. The digital audio output appears to be optical.

AltoVariago

This was the answer I was looking for, thank you very much. samsung 55q60r television. The digital audio output appears to be optical.
To use the optical output is very inconvenient as you will have to set the volume with the amp remote. The optimal solution is the hdmi-arc output that has the volume controlled by tv remote.

Progger

Additionally, I started researching between the two with the Denon PMA 600NE model.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Additionally, I started researching between the two with the Denon PMA 600NE model.
Yamaha looks better, has more power and variable loudness.
Denon has more digital inputs and adds bluetooth.
That are the differences that i see.

Anyway, this isn't about the Audiophonics anymore, feel free to start another dedicated thread to explore the options you have, for example to add bluetooth to the Yamaha or what variable loudness could add to the experience.
Last tip, try Hifishark and it's filters to find cheap used devices in your area, maybe you get lucky.

Progger

Yamaha looks better, has more power and variable loudness.
Denon has more digital inputs and adds bluetooth.
That are the differences that i see.

Anyway, this isn't about the Audiophonics anymore, feel free to start another dedicated thread to explore the options you have, for example to add bluetooth to the Yamaha or what variable loudness could add to the experience.
Last tip, try Hifishark and it's filters to find cheap used devices in your area, maybe you get lucky.
Yes, I have made the topic busy enough. thank you very much again

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New case/chassis for the NC252MP at @Audiophonics
1000020473.jpg
1000020475.jpg
1000020476.jpg
1000020474.jpg

The new AP300-S250NC is 50€ more expensive than the MPA-S250NC, but should have better thermals and, more importantly, both RCA and XLR (not one or the other).

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker you are quick, was just checking this out earlier today

I like the chassis and the wide and shallow form factor more than the narrow and long one

Great to have both RCA & XLR.

What I still miss is auto power on when sensing a signal like DACs and BoXem have

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker you are quick, was just checking this out earlier today

I like the chassis and the wide and shallow form factor more than the narrow and long one

Great to have both RCA & XLR.

What I still miss is auto power on when sensing a signal like DACs and BoXem have
I guess that's different than a 12 volt trigger

Kimbrough Xu

View attachment 321537View attachment 321538View attachment 321539View attachment 321540
The new AP300-S250NC is 50€ more expensive than the MPA-S250NC, but should have better thermals and, more importantly, both RCA and XLR (not one or the other).
Looks nice.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
I guess that's different than a 12 volt trigger
Yes. Auto on would just turn the amp on when it senses a signal on the inputs and switch it off after some time without signal. Of you use an always on headless rpi as a source you never have to power anything on or off ever again

tsfreo

View attachment 321537View attachment 321538View attachment 321539View attachment 321540

Anyone care to highlight for me whether the following matters for someone who plans to feed this via XLR from a Rotel pre (RC-1572 mk2). I don't think it matters for me, but thought I'd check here.
From Audiophonics description with the amp:
"This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive."

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Anyone care to highlight for me whether the following matters for someone who plans to feed this via XLR from a Rotel pre (RC-1572 mk2). I don't think it matters for me, but thought I'd check here.
From Audiophonics description with the amp:
"This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive."
It doesn't matter.
When in doubt don't hesitate to contact them, they answer very fast and give accurate answers, one of the best customer experience i got in the hifi world when in need of informations or need to return some gear.

tsfreo

It doesn't matter.
When in doubt don't hesitate to contact them, they answer very fast and give accurate answers, one of the best customer experience i got in the hifi world when in need of informations or need to return some gear.
Cool. Thanks.
I have bought a different amp from Audiophonics before and had a great experience.

Top Bottom