• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am led to believe that the really super rich don’t have time for choosing a hi-fi so a lackey is sent out to buy the ‘best’.
Proper Hi-End retailers first question is always, ‘what is the budget’ if money really is no object then the sale is made right there
Keith
Yes I agree.

To be honest I have nothing against expensive stuff if it delivers on technical side and look/materials/overall design.
I'm just against audiophile blabbing ;)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Is this any good?
Screenshot_20231101_182951_Chrome.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why Magico don’t include Klippel measurements in their site, they have the machine and they measure pretty well for passive designs?
Keith
One reason could be that some high end companies don't want to feed their market with real understanding and knowledge because that could eventually backfire for example when people see that similar and possibly even better objective performance can be acquired with much less money. Their target market just want to know it is claimed to be the ultimate and be impressed by unimportant numbers like weight, price and materials, which can be even seen with the thread starter.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You really think people who are buying magico speakers care about klippel measurements?
Have you never met someone with money, or someone who wants to make money?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You really think people who are buying magico speakers care about klippel measurements?
Have you never met someone with money, or someone who wants to make money?
I'm 35 years on Wall Street, I have to qualify as one or both of those. I care about Klippel measurements.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 35 years on Wall Street, I have to qualify as one or both of those. I care about Klippel measurements.
Agreed. I doubt it has much to do with whether you have money or not.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I doubt it has much to do with whether youi have money or not.
Afordable or no, I would never hire someone to shop audio for me. It's a hobby, I enjoy it (except for interacting with certain salespeople). I know centimillionaires who do their own car restoration, etc. - the fiddling is the fun.

On the other hand, I have already offered to hire someone to sell my old stuff (it's done). I get nothing but the proceeds out of that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

aschen

I don't think these things mainly go to billionaires or hundred millionaires. I suspect most of these mega expensive speaker have huge MSRPs to make headlines and create drama. I think they pass through high end show rooms and audio shows and are sold at massive discounts (floor models!) as a pride of ownership product to 4-10 million dollar net worth retirees who stretch to buy them and don't really like ferraris.

Speculation of course

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speculation of course
That's an interesting guess. You certainly need a large room to take full advantage of these, though.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Let me be more precise -
1. Do you think Magico's business would be helped, hurt, or not affected by NFS measurements?
2. Are you surprised that they are offering a speaker at this price point, and do you think they will sell it?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me be more precise -
1. Do you think Magico's business would be helped, hurt, or not affected by NFS measurements?
2. Are you surprised that they are offering a speaker at this price point, and do you think they will sell it?
I think those are just *different* questions, but I'm happy to speculate:

1. If they are good, probably unaffected to a tiny positive. If they compare unfavorably with other less expensive speakers, mildly damaging. I think the world of people who care about CEA-2034 measurements probably isn't going to fall for this, but would respect the company more and maybe be more likely to look at the lower price points. The world or people who eschew measurements wouldn't take notice. So not a big effect either way.
2. Models at this price point are intended to cast a halo on the rest of the line, so I'm not terribly surprised. They will sell a handful, I suspect.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think these things mainly go to billionaires or hundred millionaires. I suspect most of these mega expensive speaker have huge MSRPs to make headlines and create drama. I think they pass through high end show rooms and audio shows and are sold at massive discounts (floor models!) as a pride of ownership product to 4-10 million dollar net worth retirees who stretch to buy them and don't really like ferraris.

Speculation of course
Perhaps, I don't know. Even if you are retiring on $10mm, this is a pretty foolhardy purchase. It means your stereo cost about a year of pre-tax retirement income (given that a sustainable spend rate in 30 years of retirement should be around or below 4% before tax, see below)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very few high-end speaker manufacturers offer Klippel data, or for that matter simple on-axis data. I guess before this it just hasn't been that kind of market.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least they're using it, unlike some other hi end brands
I assumed they had some sophisticated measurement apparatus. You don't get the performance they do by tweaking the crossover by ear like some high-end clown designers.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did recently see a picture of some CEO who just got fired in a news article, and lo and behold he had the big focals (in blue) in his living room.

visuel-vertical-ligne-utopia.jpg

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like klippel data destroys the air of mystique which sells these products. If I was Magico I would have an NFS for design but I absolutely wouldn't publish the data.

A. Lange + Sohne probably guarantees the precision of their movements but it's not like they break out a timegrapher in the showroom.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I did recently see a picture of some CEO who just got fired in a news article, and lo and behold he had the big focals (in blue) in his living room.
I realise Focals aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but to get fired because you have a pair…
Keith

Top Bottom