• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 123 50.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 36.5%

• Total voters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but it is a Striking fact that most brands from Europe or USA or other places don´t turn to ASR to get their DAC:s or whatever reviewed. I don´t know if they think it is not important, since they assume the large numbers of buyers dont care about performance in terms of metrics, or if they just can´t compete on a technical level.
They don't send it because they know it will get measured and then stack ranked by SINAD. One, many don't have the engineering chops to get down to 3 zeros and two, if they don't stack ranked top 10, well, there goes sales.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If I was about to think strictly money,this enormous flood of DACs by the same companies serves yet another goal:
The absolute bricking of the previous models,as their second hand value gets near to nothing two models after (shipping alone would cost more) so the margin stays strong selling constantly another near identical model with nicer case of 2db SINAD better.
(second hand market was always an enemy,cuts clients)

It would be funny actually if a lot of people didn't ended up owning 4-5 DACs who are similar outside and with absolutely inaudible performance.

Sokel

Master Contributor
They don't send it because they know it will get measured and then stack ranked by SINAD. One, many don't have the engineering chops to get down to 3 zeros and two, if they don't stack ranked top 10, well, there goes sales.
There are measurements for most of them,Stereophile comes first in mind.They just don't care and they don't want to associate themselves with cheap gear.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are measurements for most of them,Stereophile comes first in mind.They just don't care and they don't want to associate themselves with cheap gear.
That's also true.

respice finem

Major Contributor
My impression is, they are still "testing the waters", marketing-wise and design-wise. And more models usually mean more sales (the shiny new thing effect).

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And what is the deal with MQA? Why are these measurement focused brands into snake oil MQA?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking companies should move to next phase. The SOTA war is over for now, if they want to charge premium price then more meaningful features, please! To me the most amazing feature is the in-built PEQ like in RME and Qudelix product. System level EQ not a brighter screen is worth paying hundred $ for
I second that... I Like the look though..
Next steeps:
. Negotiate with the power that .. are :)... and go for a serious AVR-type product, perhaps a Pre-Pro. Serious DRC + the usual CODECs + The now-customary excellent level of performance. Of course Keep the price in line with similar but hopefully inferior in performance products. I believe there is a market...
One can dream

Peace.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And what is the deal with MQA? Why are these measurement focused brands into snake oil MQA?
ESS released a batch of DAC chips that support MQA, so manufacturers just stick the MQA logo on the chassis and on marketing material too.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I am thinking companies should move to next phase. The SOTA war is over for now, if they want to charge premium price then more meaningful features, please! To me the most amazing feature is the in-built PEQ like in RME and Qudelix product. System level EQ not a brighter screen is worth paying hundred $ for
For a start, at least loudness would be nice, and crossfeed (for those with an included HPA).

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
SMSL has 28 DACs listed in their website as of today. It can be 30 by the time you check it out. They should measure them all, send Amir their measurement data for validation and we should close the topic of SMSL DAC until 2024Q4 in my opinion.
I agree, we all know where the DAC’s are in Target stores…right next to the toasters and microwaves.

Timmeon

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the market saturated for these kind of products now!

EDIT: but I appreciate the testing by Amir, because we need to know how it will perform before we buy it.....but I'm thinking more along the lines of the suppliers.

sacguy231

Great measurements, but as others have noted I don't see a great deal of value at this price point since there are cheaper offerings with fantastic measurements. The case/build seems very nice, but I'd love to see some DSP features at this price.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ALaylowguy

I second that... I Like the look though..
Next steeps:
. Negotiate with the power that .. are :)... and go for a serious AVR-type product, perhaps a Pre-Pro. Serious DRC + the usual CODECs + The now-customary excellent level of performance. Of course Keep the price in line with similar but hopefully inferior in performance products. I believe there is a market...
One can dream

Peace.
well, call me a basic b*tch, I watch a lot of YouTube and Netflix, lossless sometimes from foobar. I want to justify my love for Macbook and until PEACE APO or similar system lever software appear on Mac, all I ask for is that God-sent feature ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah this looks like audio art in the casing and screen but that's kind of overkill for what it essentially is... one could probably get the same performance for $300 with a black steel case and B&W screen

but i would rather smsl not get into streaming and dsp and other stuff if they just arent able to do it well

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL has 28 DACs listed in their website as of today. It can be 30 by the time you check it out. They should measure them all, send Amir their measurement data for validation and we should close the topic of SMSL DAC until 2024Q4 in my opinion.
Why in the world have they fragmented their product line so much? Not only does this cause consumer confusion, it also must be very expensive for SMSL to maintain different production and supply chains for so many products.

Top Bottom