• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Geithain - Vintage King Order Problems - USA Customers...Passives next?

OP
P

prestigetone

Yup, exactly … physics rears its ugly head with the 8C … yet another reason we need a larger 8C! Note Soundfield does do cardioid to about 40Hz on their larger designs.
Geithain states 30 through 250  which to me would be well worth an audition. You would have quite the kit for $30K but I don't know if I am selling Geithain as a reliable brand at this point. Like I said I know someone who reviewed the 8C and sold those to get the 934K. For you the 811K with rack mounted amps would pack a punch.

Reactions: MKR
OP
P

prestigetone

I try to be open minded. I am not only interested in the speaker, but also in their listening room...
Have you tried others besides Neumann to compare to the Geithain? Your set ups are magnificent.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Have you tried others besides Neumann to compare to the Geithain? Your set ups are magnificent.
This listening room?
IMG_20231005_145813.jpeg

Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Geithain states 30 through 250  which to me would be well worth an audition. You would have quite the kit for $30K but I don't know if I am selling Geithain as a reliable brand at this point. Like I said I know someone who reviewed the 8C and sold those to get the 934K. For you the 811K with rack mounted amps would pack a punch.
Thanks. I have not fully ruled out Geithain, but their availability and after purchase support are problematic to say the least. The main issue is how to audition? I will absolutely not drop this kind of cash without an audition … and no, I ain’t flying all the way to Germany ;) … and seems far too much risk based upon your situation. No way I will pay that kind of money without stellar customer service.

Also, I would consider nothing less than the 800k, this best matches my end game criteria. Go big or go home. However, it is a lost cause anyway … as far as I know, the 800k is 40k Euro, well above my budget. I can purchase a Soundfield design for much less money and I have high confidence it would equal or better performance of the 800k. There is also the upcoming larger D&D that I am keenly interested in.

By the way, have you heard the 8C? Note the 8C has its weaknesses, not perfect, primarily being the smaller drivers and what results from that. And you mention a person that sold 8C and went instead with the 934k. Exactly why did they make this decision? What were the specific criteria that led them to their conclusion?

With all the above said, of course if the opportunity presents itself to audition Geithain, would certainly do so, but not going to go out of my way. In the end I think you can do same/better for much less money. Do note if I had to choose between only Geithain and Genelec, based upon my audition of the 8361s and what I have read about Geithain, I would go with Geithain :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks. I have not fully ruled out Geithain, but their availability and after purchase support are problematic to say the least. The main issue is how to audition? I will absolutely not drop this kind of cash without an audition … and no, I ain’t flying all the way to Germany ;) … and seems far too much risk based upon your situation. No way I will pay that kind of money without stellar customer service.

Also, I would consider nothing less than the 800k, this best matches my end game criteria. Go big or go home. However, it is a lost cause anyway … as far as I know, the 800k is 40k Euro, well above my budget. I can purchase a Soundfield design for much less money and I have high confidence it would equal or better performance of the 800k. There is also the upcoming larger D&D that I am keenly interested in.

By the way, have you heard the 8C? Note the 8C has its weaknesses, not perfect, primarily being the smaller drivers and what results from that. And you mention a person that sold 8C and went instead with the 934k. Exactly why did they make this decision? What were the specific criteria that led them to their conclusion?

With all the above said, of course if the opportunity presents itself to audition Geithain, would certainly do so, but not going to go out of my way. In the end I think you can do same/better for much less money. Do note if I had to choose between only Geithain and Genelec, based upon my audition of the 8361s and what I have read about Geithain, I would go with Geithain :)
800K is almost Genelec 8381 money

Reactions: MKR

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Was the 8361 audition not a success?
I heard them at the London Genelec centre with the W371, the basement room wasn’t ideal, in room still wasn’t great despite the w371 it was interesting hearing the bass options.
With contemporary designs there is huge scope to tailor the SQ to your preference, just takes a period of trial and adjustment.
Keith

MKR

Major Contributor
Was the 8361 audition not a success?
I heard them at the London Genelec centre with the W371, the basement room wasn’t ideal, in room still wasn’t great despite the w371 it was interesting hearing the bass options.
With contemporary designs there is huge scope to tailor the SQ to your preference, just takes a period of trial and adjustment.
Keith
Don’t misunderstand, the 8361s are excellent. But they do not fully meet my end game criteria. As in fact actually alluded to above, the soundstage was small, this was the main issue, small sweet spot. They were also not holographic like other designs I am considering. Do note I have not heard the W371, so maybe my opinion would be different. But, even if with W371 my criteria would be met, they are a bit over my budget. Now the 8381 are a fully different beast and more what I am looking for, but again well above my budget. All the above plus a few other reasons are why I have fully ruled out Genelec.

OP
P

prestigetone

I've owned the 8c's and to me Geithain sounded more like what I felt everything "should" sound like. Totally subjective but I have been through a lot of active monitors. This was before I talked to a well established recording guru who reviewed the 8cs. They loved them, that was until...they heard the Geithains. They do sound reproduction for a living and the Geithains bested them no question, which was my experience too. Don't get me wrong the Dutch and Dutch were fantastic, just like the sound on the G better and I really disliked the interface to adjust volume.

You could get the 801K for your budget. I would go their pro line over the loudspeakers. I am not sure what you get other than more of a designed look.

If you haven't heard the Geithain how do you know Soundfield can match it? You can audition them in Los Angeles at the Vintage King showroom. They also have lots of ATC and Genelec Kii etc.

MKR

Major Contributor
I've owned the 8c's and to me Geithain sounded more like what I felt everything "should" sound like. Totally subjective but I have been through a lot of active monitors. This was before I talked to a well established recording guru who reviewed the 8cs. They loved them, that was until...they heard the Geithains. They do sound reproduction for a living and the Geithains bested them no question, which was my experience too. Don't get me wrong the Dutch and Dutch were fantastic, just like the sound on the G better and I really disliked the interface to adjust volume.

You could get the 801K for your budget. I would go their pro line over the loudspeakers. I am not sure what you get other than more of a designed look.

If you haven't heard the Geithain how do you know Soundfield can match it? You can audition them in Los Angeles at the Vintage King showroom. They also have lots of ATC and Genelec Kii etc.
Ah, ok, did not realize (or I had forgotten) you had owned the 8C. Indeed in this case your opinion carries more weight and thank you for sharing, I do appreciate it.

By the way, I do not put much credence into the opinions of those in the recording industry, they typically have different goals and criteria for reproduction vs home listening application. I don’t ignore it, it is another data point, but take it with a grain of salt.

Also a reminder my application is dual purpose home theater and music listening. A min 5ch Geithain system is well over my budget.

And not interested in the 801 … 800 only if were to go the Geithain path. Multiple large (my definition being minimum 15”) drivers can do things smaller drivers cannot, that annoying physics thing again. This is in fact one reason I have actually ruled out the 8C (and why the 8C has distortion issues).

As to whether or not Soundfield can match Geithain, you are correct, I do not know for certain. But I cannot imagine anything sounding better and I have heard more speakers than most in the past 1.5 years. I am not speaking from pure conjecture here. I could flip that around and ask you how you know Geithain outperforms Soundfield? ;)

Forgot about the Vintage King showroom (why would I purchase from them given your experience?), if I happen to be in LA (likely never), will be sure to stop by. I have not fully ruled out Geithain, that would be intellectually dishonest and counter to my effort to be as objective as possible in my quest, but I think the cards are stacked against me due to availability, service after sale, and being over budget.

Anyway and again, what I really have my eye on now more than anything else is the upcoming larger D&D … I will not seriously consider any other speaker until I hear these.

Last edited:
OP
P

prestigetone

Ah, ok, did not realize (or I had forgotten) you had owned the 8C. Indeed in this case your opinion carries more weight and thank you for sharing, I do appreciate it.

By the way, I do not put much credence into the opinions of those in the recording industry, they typically have different goals and criteria for reproduction vs home listening application. I don’t ignore it, it is another data point, but take it with a grain of salt.

Also a reminder my application is dual purpose home theater and music listening. A min 5ch Geithain system is well over my budget.

And not interested in the 801 … 800 only if were to go the Geithain path. Multiple large (my definition being minimum 15”) drivers can do things smaller drivers cannot, that annoying physics thing again. This is in fact one reason I have actually ruled out the 8C (and why the 8C has distortion issues).

As to whether or not Soundfield can match Geithain, you are correct, I do not know for certain. But I cannot imagine anything sounding better and I have heard more speakers than most in the past 1.5 years. I am not speaking from pure conjecture here. I could flip that around and ask you how you know Geithain outperforms Soundfield? ;)

Forgot about the Vintage King showroom (why would I purchase from them given your experience?), if I happen to be in LA (likely never), will be sure to stop by. I have not fully ruled out Geithain, that would be intellectually dishonest and counter to my effort to be as objective as possible in my quest, but I think the cards are stacked against me due to availability, service after sale, and being over budget.

Anyway and again, what I really have my eye on now more than anything else is the upcoming larger D&D … I will not seriously consider any other speaker until I hear these.
I don’t know the Soundfield but the others are a very known quantity. I believe I read somewhere you were going to measure them in your room and you had a umik. Once I see what they can do on paper I might consider. Until then their website doesn’t instill confidence.

How loud do you plan on playing?! The 8cs were more than enough power wise.

MKR

Major Contributor
I don’t know the Soundfield but the others are a very known quantity. I believe I read somewhere you were going to measure them in your room and you had a umik. Once I see what they can do on paper I might consider. Until then their website doesn’t instill confidence.

How loud do you plan on playing?! The 8cs were more than enough power wise.
Fully fair statement on the Soundfields, and I agree. As to measurements, I never got around to measuring, and the speakers are back to Soundfield now, but Soundfield has some measurements I am sure they would be happy to share with you if you asked. Also I do believe they will have some measurements done by Erin in near future, but not fully certain of the status of that.

As to “loudness”, it is not just constant SPL to consider (that is actually less of a concern for me), but also the ability to handle transient peaks without distortion. To say, dynamics. Small drivers cannot do this at low freq, period. Anyway, I know what I want (need), I have at least determined that in the past 1.5 years. Only large drivers (and horn loading / wave guide) can meet my criteria, no way around it.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
P

prestigetone

Fully fair statement on the Soundfields, and I agree. As to measurements, I never got around to measuring, and the speakers are back to Soundfield now, but Soundfield has some measurements I am sure they would be happy to share with you if you asked. Also I do believe they will have some measurements done by Erin in near future, but not fully certain of the status of that.

As to “loudness”, it is not just constant SPL to consider (that is actually less of a concern for me), but also the ability to handle transient peaks without distortion. To say, dynamics. Small drivers cannot do this at low freq, period. Anyway, I know what I want (need), I have at least determined that in the past 1.5 years. Only large drivers (and horn loading / wave guide) can meet my criteria, no way around it.

Thanks
Not trying to derail my thread more. When Amir asked on Audiogon, I don't even think Soundfield responded. The figures should be published openly. If you have to ask...

Last edited:

MKR

Major Contributor
Not trying to derail my thread more, but it is worth mentioning and I have seen it mentioned elsewhere, the figures should be published openly. If you have to ask...

In fact Amir in another, not to be mentioned thread on another site repeatedly asked Soundfield and I don't think I ever saw any hard data. Publish the data.

In another 1.5 you might have a speaker and I might have a working Geithain. HA
And down the rat hole we go ... Please let’s not do this again, thanks

Top Bottom