• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 368 90.9%

• Total voters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it make any sense to move from a good class A/B amp with similar power to this? I have the Parasound A21, and I don't think it does, but I'm curious to what others think and why?
In most cases, no. Unless if you care about your electricity bill, and if your parasound has problems with heat.
Agreed. According to the specs of A21+ (assuming similar to A21), the distortions and noise level is very likely lower than an average human hearing threshold anyway. I don't know what the average human hearing threshold is, I'm assuming anywhere from .2% to 1%THD+N? (If my assumption made a big ass out of u and me, I stand corrected).

Now, unless you just want better performance so that you can have a peace of mind and sleep better at night, like me, then yes, you need this. :D

Hart

I agree about the casework. I can't explain it, but it just looks cheap, even if it's perfectly functional and well finished. The good news is that they also make amps with very nice casework (see link in my previous post).
I agree, it looks like a kit box. I think the a lot of the class D folks need to step up their aesthetics and marketing. They have a great product, they need to make it look like they do. Not everyone, but some.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
I feel bad for anyone who bought this amp and then discovered they could have gotten a tube amp with a handful of very distorted watts for exponentially more money. Hopefully they can return it.
Most people buy tube amps not because of they are clean, but because of their signature sound (warm).

Of course it is all personal preference. And they could have bought another cheap tube amp which probably just sounds the same. But, well, the industry is so distorted anyway

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is so accessible nowadays that the question is more "why not"? :)

You can never have too much pizza, sex, or power... ;)

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
I'd be interested to know if there's really much of a significant measured difference between the op-amp options... and yes, also considering getting one.
Here are the measurements of different op amps coupled with the NCx500 (LM4562, OPA1656, Sonic Imagery 994). LM4562 op amp is used in the default built in NCx500 input buffer, which is bypassed in our amplifiers.

THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level @ 1Khz-4Ohm (op amp comparison).png

Attachments

• IMG_5461.png
    IMG_5461.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I agree, it looks like a kit box. I think the a lot of the class D folks need to step up their aesthetics and marketing. They have a great product, they need to make it look like they do.
Go to the Apollon website and you'll see that they also make amps with top class casework. I suspect that they make amps like this one to compete against the many Class D "kit assemblers" whilst also asking a bit more for stuff that looks (and is!) high end. Makes a lot of sense to me.

capslock

What power supply does it use? The regular Hypex SMPS series?

My impression from the previous NCx vs. Nilai tests here at ASR was that the better noise floor of the Nilai was owed to the regulated Nilai power supply. So I am surprised to see a NCx implementation now attaining better SINAD than the Nilai.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A decent price for this level of SOTA performance and power. Thanks to whoever sent this one in and @amirm for the testing.

The case, connectors and design in general seem most professional. It's good to see XLR and RCA too as well as the gain settings. Also, @Apollon Audio nice job. :)

Apollon-Hypex-NCx500-Stereo-Amplifier-Inside-Isometric.webp

Apollon-Hypex-NCx500-Stereo-Amplifier-Sonic-Imagery-OPamp-rolling.webp

JSmith
Tidy construction but those silly discrete opamps give me pause.

radix

Major Contributor
An ideal amp would keep its voltage constant regardless of load. We almost have that at 4 ohm but at 2 volts
Should that be "at 2 ohm"

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidy construction but those silly discrete opamps give me pause.
I imagine it is pretty difficult to make discreet OP amps that can outperform or match a good OP amp. So I'm on board with your comment of not trusting those.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I imagine it is pretty difficult to make discreet OP amps that can outperform or match a good OP amp. So I'm on board with your comment of not trusting those.
Then again - if results are all that matters, these seem to work pretty darn well. :) Note that they offer the choice to pick other OpAmp options, too (Sonic Imagery 994 or Sparkos Labs SS2590 pro or Opa 1656). I assume the one in the pic is the latter?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again - if results are all that matters, these seem to work pretty darn well. :) Note that they offer the choice to pick other OpAmp options, too (Sonic Imagery 994 or Sparkos Labs SS2590 pro or Opa 1656). I assume the one in the pic is the latter?
The 2 images show both the discreet OP amp and the integrated OP amp choices. I'm not sure which OP amp was in @amirm's test results. :D

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Go to the Apollon website and you'll see that they also make amps with top class casework. I suspect that they make amps like this one to compete against the many Class D "kit assemblers" whilst also asking a bit more for stuff that looks (and is!) high end. Makes a lot of sense to me.
In addition to premium casework, I think the more expensive models are mostly dual (or multi) mono configurations and slightly different chipsets (NCx500 vs NCx500ST).

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
The 2 images show both the discreet OP amp and the integrated OP amp choices. I'm not sure which OP amp was in @amirm's test results. :D

I no longer see it as an option when configuring the NCx500ST on their website, but both of mine were ordered with OPA1612 op-amps. That was the standard selection at the time that I ordered.

Top Bottom