• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The sad reality is that some recordings are not very exciting, so an amplifier which "juices up" transients may be preferable to one that accurately presents a bland recording.

This is the risk of not measuring an amplifier's behaviour into complex loads at different levels.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are links to other audio sites permitted?? This is an illuminating opinion on distortion posted on another forum by an author who is also a member here, @atmasphere . If Amir or the author would rather it didn't appear here on ASR, I suppose they can remove it.

All distortion is more audible that most people think

Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are links to other audio sites permitted?? This is an illuminating opinion on distortion posted on another forum by an author who is also a member here. If Amir or the author would rather it didn't appear here on ASR, they can remove it.

Everytime I test myself with an A/B test with/without added distorsion, I need to push the distorsion very high at least >1% usually >5%
to hear a difference on music.

I have never been able to differentiate 2 unbroken, non clipping amplifiers (and I have been trying hard to justify buying new ones). On DAC I do not even try.

So what is exactly illuminating in the linked doc?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not an expert.. not by a thousand light years...

The referred opinion is, charitably speaking and IMHO, a pile of ... nonsense... It pains me to realize that I will not recover the minutes I took to read it ...

Caveat emptor.

Peace.

Last edited:

JiiPee

First the guy writes that distortion can not be masked, since it is a modifier and not a separate signal. Few sentences later he claims that 2:n and 3:rd order harmonic distortion can mask higher order components...

Philbo King

Golden ears not withstanding, there is a good reason equipment was designed for and measured at 1% THD for decades. It is where most people can't hear it.
Non-harmonic distortion, aliasing and noise is another thing entirely.

Last edited:

SSS

Nothing new. Of course there are masking effects and these are well known by the professional audio perceive researchers. How much depends on dominating volume frequency bands and the volume and frequencies of the unwanted signals. This is in music very dynamic and changeing. For me it is not simply predictable when checking an amplifier or loudspeaker.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not an expert.. not by a thousand light years...

The referred opinion is, charitably speaking and IMHO, a pile of ... nonsense... It pains me to realize that I will not recover the minutes I took to read it ...

Caveat emptor.

Peace.
You're reply it not exactly a refutation of the opinion, (I did label it opinion not necessarily proven fact), expressed by that author. I'm sorry that you see fit only to sneer at his remarks.

As to expertise, I have none myself, but the author has been for many years a highly reputed designer and maker notably of tube amplifiers and recently also a class D amplifier.,

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like and respect Ralph as a designer. But I think he's wrong here. Not so much that higher order distortion is more audible, but that human ears are super-sensitive.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everytime I test myself with an A/B test with/without added distorsion, I need to push the distorsion very high at least >1% usually >5%
to hear a difference on music.

I have never been able to differentiate 2 unbroken, non clipping amplifiers (and I have been trying hard to justify buying new ones). On DAC I do not even try.

So what is exactly illuminating in the linked doc?

[emphasis added] That's too bad; lots of people are able to do so depending, of course, on the two amplifiers in question. Perhaps consult an audiologist.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pierre

Forum Donor
[emphasis added] That's too bad; lots of people are able to do so depending, of course, on the two amplifiers in question. Perhaps consult an audiologist.
show me a proof and I will believe you, a double blind test will do.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ralph has made similar assertions here. He got a lot of push-back.

Curvature

Major Contributor
THD describes nothing other than what happens in a testing regime with a single sine. With music, nonlinearity is spectral chaos.

You do not have "harmonic distortion" that "harmonizes" with the music. Distortion plus whatever signal does not form a "harmony".

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are links to other audio sites permitted?? This is an illuminating opinion on distortion posted on another forum by an author who is also a member here, @atmasphere . If Amir or the author would rather it didn't appear here on ASR, I suppose they can remove it.

I don't have a problem with you linking to this - thanks!

What I do have a problem with - and you are not the only member who has done this - is posting something supposedly because it's "interesting" or in this case "illuminating," and not being up-front about your real view until after folks start to weigh in.

In post #7, you take @FrantzM to task for not properly refuting the "opinion," and then throw in the Appeal to Authority fallacy:

the author has been for many years a highly reputed designer and maker notably of tube amplifiers and recently also a class D amplifier.,

And then in post #9 comes the unverified factual assertion about whether folks can hear differences between two properly functioning amps with low distortion specs, plus the classic "your gear or ears aren't good enough" claim:
lots of people are able to do so depending, of course, on the two amplifiers in question. Perhaps consult an audiologist.

It's interesting - I would say telling, in fact - that you jump right over the important question of how exactly the audio and hearing mechanisms Ralph mentions work and whether or not his explanation leads to a scenario in which we could possibly hear that distortion. Instead, you go right to "people can hear it, so that's settled fact, and your hearing must be defective."

When it comes to a fact-based question like whether humans can hear very low levels of distortion that have been determined by decades of testing to be inaudible, that's not an "opinion" - or to put it more precisely, that opinion is meaningless and "of no value," as @RandomEar notes above. If the author has some proper data or evidence to substantiate his claim, we'd all love to see it. But in that case it's not really an opinion anyway.

As for the author's design expertise, that's great. But he doesn't have to have entirely scientifically correct beliefs about distortion in order to design and build amplifiers that perform well and/or sound fine or good to listeners. If he thought, say, 20% THD were inaudible, that would of course be a problem since it might lead him to build amps with massive, clearly audible distortion. But if he thinks very low levels of distortion are audible, that would presumably lead him to minimize distortion in his designs - perhaps going to unnecessary lengths and expense, but not resulting in amps that sounded bad. Such a belief could, however, lead him to cast aspersions on other amp designs even though those designs are also audibly transparent aka sound fine/good.

Finally, an audiologist is going to test for volume-based acuity across frequencies, topping out at 8kHz in most cases. They might ask if any of the tones or sample voices they test you with sound audibly distorted, but even there, the entire point is that the signals they test you with are not distorted (or have distortion below the level anyone would be able to hear or be concerned about for the purposes an audiologist would be testing you). So to the minimal extent an audiologist will test for distortion, they will be testing for the opposite of the ability to detect distortion - they will be testing to ensure you can't/don't hear distortion. So your audiologist comment is not only nasty and obnoxious, but it's also ignorant in the extreme. Maybe put a little more thought into your insults before posting?

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Bingo, that's exactly what I was trying to describe, thanks!. Not every test will reveal this kind of dynamic/nonlinear behavior, but it can definitely be audible.

However, let's be clear - it's measurable, here we have the measurements! It's just not the sort of thing that always gets measured as a matter of course.
Full power square wave test. Im still waiting for the mechanism. It looks like slewing, high frequency full power distortion but im guessing, Im not a tube guy. The reason I wonder is that someone said this Amp was "voiced" like that. Than either the mechanism is known and tweaked or by trial and error, which seems ridiculous. Or there is no voicing and they got what they got and the rest is marketing BS. Voicing by reducing the slew rate is one of the dumbest thing ive heard.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
seems to me if you wanted to 'voice' any piece of equipment you'd just fiddle with the frequency response.

Simplest route and the easiest to predict what the alteration does to the sound.

Although amplifier designers have said to me that they voice the design by adding different brands of resistor and capacitor to get 'forward', 'relaxed', 'warm' etc.

Like adding herbs and spices to a curry, a good chef knows just how to judge it for the required result.

They accept it cannot be measured. However the 'tasting' is done sighted and without controls so draw your own conclusions.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Disclaimer: I have gone back and forth on posts and such with Ralph for 10+ years now, respect him greatly, and thus am biased in his favor.

I took just a quick read. Ralph @atmasphere can defend himself. My impression of Ralph's postings in general are that he knows his stuff, but also sells his stuff, so tends to be careful in how and what he says things. I have espoused similar views over the years regarding greater higher-order harmonic audibility for lower to midrange'ish tones, and both Amir @amirm and Ralph have agreed (there's my appeal to authority, I guess), due to masking and our own sensitivity (see equal-loudness curves and such). All such claims I have read (and hopefully posted) have been pretty well defined as to frequency range and such. At one point, several years ago, Ralph or someone pointed me to an AES paper on the subject, but I have not been a member for years and was too cheap to buy it. Hopefully he or someone can find it again.

I'd be interested in hearing (reading) @j_j 's take on this (and many things!)

FWIWFM - Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom