• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 187 39.2%

• Total voters

Greenman

You enable alexa on the wiim and the amazon music app then recognises it
Thanks for that, I didn’t know that….but then I don’t have Amazon music or use Alexa so why would I. It is useful however knowing what options are available for the different streaming services.

The native WiiM app is ok but playlist handling seems clunky at best and mostly useless. I also have Apple Music on a free trail and this isn’t supported by the Wiim app, you can however cast using Appleplay2 just not at full hires….however I’ve come to realise there is no real discernible difference between CD quality lossless and hires in 99% of cases, so the appleplay2 option is viable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that, I didn’t know that….but then I don’t have Amazon music or use Alexa so why would I. It is useful however knowing what options are available for the different streaming services.

The native WiiM app is ok but playlist handling seems clunky at best and mostly useless. I also have Apple Music on a free trail and this isn’t supported by the Wiim app, you can however cast using Appleplay2 just not at full hires….however I’ve come to realise there is no real discernible difference between CD quality lossless and hires in 99% of cases, so the appleplay2 option is viable.
Yes, playing through the Wiim app is less than ideal user experience. The other useful thing about using amazon /alexa is it allows an alexa equipped smart speaker to be used as voice remote for the Wiim playback of amazon music. That, and alexa has a skill to enable a full shuffle of one's entire library. Something no other service I have found can do.

If one only wanted to stream via a wiim and not anywhere else I would say a mini plus amazon unlimited offers unparalleled value and functionality. Sadly, there are limitations of amazon music elsewhere.

Witterings

I'm another that doesn't get on with the WiiM App (nor a lot of the other streamers Apps, it's an area most could improve) as too many shortcomings in terms of being able to find your music in your library easily.

I'm guessing you probably have an Amazon account though, even without having an Echo Dot or anything, I think you can download the Amazon Alexa App onto your phone and if you've logged into your Amazon Acc on the WiiM App the Amazon Music App (assuming you've downloaded it to your phone) should see it as something it can cast to.
I gave my WiiM's a different name i.e. A Longe and A Kitchen ... the A's simply to bring them to the top of the list rather than having to scroll down. Amazon music though won't see that name it'll see if is WiiM Device or something .... If in the Alexa App you do into devices you can change it's name to the same as you've called via the WiiM App.
I think you can then play music on Amazon (definitely can if you have Prime) to at least test it and see if you like it but it may have adverts and a restricted number of tracks available .... most of the time they offer a 3 month free trial of Amazon Unlimited so you can give it a proper try and see if you notice a difference with the High Res but also 70/80 million tracks at your fingertips.

Davide

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One question before I buy it. Can I stream "bit perfect" a local file to the WiiM optical out from the Android app?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One question before I buy it. Can I stream "bit perfect" a local file to the WiiM optical out from the Android app?
You mean one stored on your android app? Or one on a network connected drive?

You can definitely play a file stored on your phone bit perfect through the Wiim. Not sure about network files

Last edited:

Davide

You mean one stored on your android app? Or one on a network connected drive?

You can definitely play a file stored on your phone bit perfect through the Wiim. Not sure about network files
Yes, I mean stored on my phone.
The transmission to be bit perfect is via wifi I suppose, correct?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I mean stored on my phone.
The transmission to be bit perfect is via wifi I suppose, correct?
Yes. Handily the app tells you the playback file info so you can see what its doing

Eg
Screenshot_20230723-111317.png

Davide

Yes. Handily the app tells you the playback file info so you can see what its doing

EgView attachment 300946
Yes, the file information I know is displayed. But what is the transmission protocol? Is it bit perfect? The audio output from the app does not go through the Android mixer/effects?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the file information I know is displayed. But what is the transmission protocol? Is it bit perfect? The audio output from the app does not go through the Android mixer/effects?
If it wasnt, my RME DAC would show 48khz sample rate on that file (which is a 44.1 ALAC) wouldnt it (as it would have gone through the Android mixer)? Give me a minute.

EDIT yes the RME shows that file as playing back at 44.1.

Cant tell you the transmission protocol I am afraid. Nor if it has any limitations in terms of file type/ bit depth/ sample rate. Thats an ALAC file btw

@onlyoneme may know- they seem to have done a fair bit of testing on the Wiim.

Davide

If it wasnt, my RME DAC would show 48khz sample rate on that file (which is a 44.1 ALAC) wouldnt it (as it would have gone through the Android mixer)? Give me a minute.

EDIT yes the RME shows that file as playing back at 44.1.

Cant tell you the transmission protocol I am afraid. Nor if it has any limitations in terms of file type/ bit depth/ sample rate. Thats an ALAC file btw

@onlyoneme may know- they seem to have done a fair bit of testing on the Wiim.
If you have an ADI2 you could carry out the bit perfect test to see if signal arrives unaltered to the DAC.
The sample rate by itself doesn't guarantee that there isn't something in between, especially with the latest versions of Android where the audio engine has evolved.
I'm asking this because on the WiiM forum I see conflicting and superficial information (not objective ASR style measurements)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have an ADI2 you could carry out the bit perfect test to see if signal arrives unaltered to the DAC.
The sample rate by itself doesn't guarantee that there isn't something in between, especially with the latest versions of Android where the audio engine has evolved.
I'm asking this because on the WiiM forum I see conflicting and superficial information (not objective ASR style measurements)
Yes, if you disable the eq and fix the volume out on the wiim it passes 16 and 24 bit rme tests (tested 16 44,1 24bit 96 and 24 bit 192)

Davide

Yes, if you disable the eq and fix the volume out on the wiim it passes 16 and 24 bit rme tests (tested 16 44,1 24bit 96 and 24 bit 192)
Ah ok, perfect!
But what if you set the optical output to 48/16 and play a 96/24 file?
Just to know...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah ok, perfect!
But what if you set the optical output to 48/16 and play a 96/24 file?
Just to know...
No idea- I set the optical on the wiim to 24/192 - its a max not a "converts everything to"- music plays at its native rate. I have no idea why anyone would set that rate lower than that unless their DAC tops out at a lower rate over toslink.

But I did just check- set wiim to 16/44.1 and its fails the 24/192 test . As one would expect. Set to 24/192 and it passes everything up to that.

morillon

Major Contributor
surprising what you express.. there is for once much more information measures than this...
Thread 'WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)' https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/

did you really follow onelyoneme's posts?

CJYYZ

Hi all,

Could I please get some advice on the best audio setup for my Wiim Mini? I'm currently subscribed to Spotify but have started a Tidal Hifi trial to try out hi-res for the first time. I use an iPad to control the Wiim, which is connected to a powered speaker.

I don't think Tidal is going to work out because of its clunky search function. For example, you can't just type in an album title in the search bar. You have to select the "album" tab, then the "see more" link to see your search results. With Spotify, you can type in an album title, artist name or track in the search field and it will pull up what you're looking for. It's like Google for music.
Can anyone suggest a hi-res streaming service with a UI (and music catalog) similar to Spotify that works well with the Wiim? Apple Music can only pass CD quality to the Wiim via Airplay 2, but if the UI is Spotify-esque, that might be an option. I also have an iPhone currently not being used, if connecting that via cables to the Wiim would up the sound quality over Airplay. Thanks in advance!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

Could I please get some advice on the best audio setup for my Wiim Mini? I'm currently subscribed to Spotify but have started a Tidal Hifi trial to try out hi-res for the first time. I use an iPad to control the Wiim, which is connected to a powered speaker.

I don't think Tidal is going to work out because of its clunky search function. For example, you can't just type in an album title in the search bar. You have to select the "album" tab, then the "see more" link to see your search results. With Spotify, you can type in an album title, artist name or track in the search field and it will pull up what you're looking for. It's like Google for music.
Can anyone suggest a hi-res streaming service with a UI (and music catalog) similar to Spotify that works well with the Wiim? Apple Music can only pass CD quality to the Wiim via Airplay 2, but if the UI is Spotify-esque, that might be an option. I also have an iPhone currently not being used, if connecting that via cables to the Wiim would up the sound quality over Airplay. Thanks in advance!
Have a look at amazon, especially if you have alexa enabled devices already.

JLGF1

Amazon Music search is straight forward.

Screenshot_20230729-025614.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729-025614.png
    Screenshot_20230729-025614.png
    370.7 KB · Views: 85

mSpot

I don't think Tidal is going to work out because of its clunky search function. For example, you can't just type in an album title in the search bar. You have to select the "album" tab, then the "see more" link to see your search results.
I don't see the Tidal interface working like that. Are you connected with Tidal Connect? These are screenshots from the Tidal app.
Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 2.12.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 2.34.18 AM.png

Witterings

Have a look at amazon, especially if you have alexa enabled devices already.

I've not tried it as I've always had Alexa devices but I think you can get it to work without them as long as you have an Amazon account just buy downloading the Alexa App onto your phone / tablet ..... I think you can even give voice commands via your phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not tried it as I've always had Alexa devices but I think you can get it to work without them as long as you have an Amazon account just buy downloading the Alexa App onto your phone / tablet ..... I think you can even give voice commands via your phone.
Oh, you definitely can control without Alexa. Just meant that with an Alexa smart speaker (or on your phone) you can control the Wiim playback by voice. And ask it to do a full shuffle of ones Amazon library.

Top Bottom