• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 471 90.9%

• Total voters

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Just FYI, the screw/thread of the MA1-adapter can be removed and turned around, so it fits 3 different diameters. Don't remember which exactly, but i think a documentation of the adapter can be found somewhere on the Neumann page.
I know. Mine does.

ribonucleic

Are there any floor stands that would work well with these without requiring the LH 61 mounting adapter, cause that thing is butt ugly.

[This illustration shows a KH 120, but you get the idea.]

Attachments

• 4BB37EA3-DB28-4A6C-B1C0-9A3CC21D6066.png
    4BB37EA3-DB28-4A6C-B1C0-9A3CC21D6066.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 135

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any floor stands that would work well with these without requiring the LH 61 mounting adapter, cause that thing is butt ugly.

[This illustration shows a KH 120, but you get the idea.]
If you wanted to use the K&M stand in the picture without the LH61, you could use this plate instead: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/spea...320-x-5-x-280-mm-3.582-kg?number=26792-032-56

Or any other stand with a plate on top, like Zaor or whatever.

But the monitor just stands on it, without screws or so.

Syntactic

Can they handle EDM and black metal?
Listening to black metal and noise on the KH150s has been nothing short of revelatory, especially after calibration. The bass extension makes them excellent for EDM but I was not prepared for how much better they were for distortion-heavy audio.

I'm coming from a pair of Dynaudio BM6A MKIIs, which I bought specifically because of how well they handled noisy music.

AgentWet

My understanding is that it is controlling the motion of the woofer in the KH150. I just purchased my second pair of these and am quite impressed. I have not yet felt the need to use my MA1 on them, although I might.
According to Neumann a listening distance of 1.4 meters for KH310's is fine. I think that you should listen to the Neumann audio engineers in this regard. One would thing that they know what they are talking about ---- much more than some random person commenting here.

I also have a pair of KH 120's and a pair of KH150's. All are used at close nearfield distances. I use my KH310 at 1.4 meters. They are excellent.

I think that you are overthinking the situation. Your unease is psychological - not based on actualy sound issues. Settle you mind down.

Kh150's would also be fine, as would KH120's with a KH750. But they are not going to be perceptably better than the KH310's. Just cool your jets.

View attachment 270352
Hello Teashea! I'm new here and I would like to ask you how you can seriously evaluate your speakers in such a non treated reverberant room? I don't want to be offensive, just asking. I can't see any acoustic treatment in your room. It seems, that you have enough money for buying many Neumann monitors, but I'm afraid that without any reasonable treatment they never can sound as good as they are. I'm sure, that the room is number one and plays the biggest role in sound perception. And speakers are way behind. I'm thinking if to buy KH150 which are for my small room 3,6x4,7x2,7m enough with their 36Hz -6db. Or to buy new KH120 II which are way more cheaper and may be even better in midrange distortion and then add some quality subwoofer to let them breath a get more headroom. They seems great speakers except design...

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
All posts containing references to countries that may or may not have been involved in the manufacture of this speaker have been deleted. Why, because the thread started devolving into a political debate and we don’t permit that here. We come here to get away from all that political crap. Can we just talk about the speaker and how it measured please! ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hello Teashea! I'm new here and I would like to ask you how you can seriously evaluate your speakers in such a non treated reverberant room? I don't want to be offensive, just asking. I can't see any acoustic treatment in your room. It seems, that you have enough money for buying many Neumann monitors, but I'm afraid that without any reasonable treatment they never can sound as good as they are. I'm sure, that the room is number one and plays the biggest role in sound perception. And speakers are way behind. I'm thinking if to buy KH150 which are for my small room 3,6x4,7x2,7m enough with their 36Hz -6db. Or to buy new KH120 II which are way more cheaper and may be even better in midrange distortion and then add some quality subwoofer to let them breath a get more headroom. They seems great speakers except design...
I've wondered this as well. Hard surfaces everywhere, console smack in the center of the room, no cloud or first reflection points treated... you get the idea.

Elder

I'm no expert, but I'm sure I have heard Floyd Toole at a conference mention that humans are capable of evaluating and comparing loudspeaker performances in less than optimal acoustic conditions. We have the ability to a degree to separate the noise of the room from the direct sound of the speakers.

Of course treatment is better than none, but I think Teashea's subjective opinions can still be helpful regardless.

Old Listener

I'm always amazed to read the opinion that room treatment has to be done as a preliminary before speakers are even chosen. Seems much more in the spirit of ASR and of Floyd Toole's writings to measure first and then decide just what room treatments are needed.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm always amazed to read the opinion that room treatment has to be done as a preliminary before speakers are even chosen. Seems much more in the spirit of ASR and of Floyd Toole's writings to measure first and then decide just what room treatments are needed.
Studio design is a little different from general listening - pretty much no matter what you'll put broadband velocity absorption at your first reflection points (cloud, side and rear wall... depending on design, sometimes front wall sometimes not) and also - if done right - use pressure absorption to deal with sub-transition frequency problems.

That said, yes, measurements always play a role.

AgentWet

Some treatment is needed always. I heard many speakers in untreated rooms and they always, ALWAYS! sounded horrible. Well placed $1.000 speakers in well treated room can and mostly will soud much better than $100.000 speakers in untreated room and placed somewhere. That's all.
I heard some of my previous speakers in different rooms and they always sounded completely different too. And it was always about the room volume and room modes and finally the placement, which are the same for given room regardless of the speaker. Of course, different speakers sounds different (bass amount, dispersion etc...) But still activates room modes at same frequency... In near field it could be quite OK, but more you go far from speakers the worse the sound is.
I like great speakers and perfect measurements. Just saying that spending big money for great speakers and putting them in horrible acoustic space is only wasting.

VTKZ

I finally bought today the KH150. I tested them out a few Months ago against my Unity Audio Speaker. They both are awesome Speaker, also the Unity paired with the KH750 & MA1 Correction, but the 150ˋs are just a little bit better in every category. Had the KH310 and 120 for many years, so maybe Neumann is simply my kind of Sound… why i sold them ... Picture is from my Test Listening back in January. The Unitys are very big and box-ish looking speakers with sharp edges. The Neumanns are a little bit more ,,living room,, friendly & modern. Any ideas if the Genelec Z8020-320B Stand would fit with some additional DIY Mounting / Fixation ? The neumann stands looking awful

Attachments

• UNITY & NEUMANN.jpeg
    UNITY & NEUMANN.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

ribonucleic

The neumann stands looking awful

Congratulations on the new member of the family.

I wish Neumann did their own stands the way KEF does. It would probably support half a ton and be adjustable by the micrometer.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20230428_140657_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_140608_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_140550_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_140534_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_140454_Chrome.jpg

What will I be missing SPL and bass wise if I go with KH150 instead of 8350?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If I were forced to choose, based only on what I’ve read on line, for my use case (domestic setting) - I believe I’d go for the Genelecs. Mainly for their seemingly more refined EQ software.

Totally for what it’s worth, which is probably very little.

ribonucleic

If I were forced to choose, based only on what I’ve read on line, for my use case (domestic setting) - I believe I’d go for the Genelecs. Mainly for their seemingly more refined EQ software.

Can’t cotton to their “overfed” look.

Top Bottom